Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #85
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
A step back in my opinion. I've only had the car three days but I do NOT like this feature. I haven't stalled a manual car on a hill in over 20 years, but I've stalled this one half a dozen times. If anyone can figure out how to turn this feature off I'd love to know.
Same here.

I have learned you can defeat it by pulling up on the handbrake as if you don't have Hill Start Assist. Otherwise you have to slip the clutch longer than normal to avoid stalling the engine.

The duration of holding the brakes is too long IMO, and I would like to be able to turn it off. Having said that I generally agree the feature is useful.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #86
wakespeak

I found this on the Mustang forum and also same on a Jeep forum. Could be that GM is using the same component. I am trying this later:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...0#entry1313180

Notice it also says it can be turned off by turning off the Advanced Track. Maybe if we turn off Stabilitrak it will also disable HSA when not desired.

Last edited by wakespeak; 10-12-2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Stabilitrak comment.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #87
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
I'm pretty sure that disabling Stabilitrak was mentioned earlier in this thread, though it didn't seem to attract further discussion at the time. Let us know how it turns out.

It does make sense to piggyback hill-assist on top of whatever stability control system is already in place, as stability control requires at least one inertia sensor. Adding another one to detect significant longitudinal slope into the same little box, another wire or three, and a few more lines of code shouldn't be difficult.

The real gem in that linked thread is that there's hope that a way to reset the default to 'off' exists.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #88
wakespeak

Disabling Stabilitrak ("Competition Mode") did not turn off HSA. Have not tried the elaborate disabling feature mentioned in the Ford link, but I am doubtful because the Ford and Jeep procedures, while similar, are different.

Edit: dealer says HSA cannot be turned off.

Last edited by wakespeak; 10-16-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: dealer info
Old 12-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #89
Dupree878

Drives: '13 Dusk Edition 2SS/RS M6
I"m so glad I found this thread. I was beginning to think I was jinxed.

Brought my '13 Dusk SS M6 home today and did a lot of driving around. Leaving my neighborhood three times I stalled. Couldn't for the life of me figure out what was going on. It was like the car just wouldn't go. The same every time.
Its a very slight hill so I guess I'm just getting on it so quick I'm not leaving enough time for the brakes to disengage and I'm not giving enough throttle to overcome it.

Phew. Was worried for a second. This restores faith in myself
Dupree878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #90
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
Edit: dealer says HSA cannot be turned off.
I'd bet if you could find the wires that transmit car inclination information to the BCM or whatever computer sets the HA, you could turn it off either permanently or switchably so. Naturally, the dealer can't/won't tell you that, because it wouldn't be a "by the book" procedure.

The aftermarket tunes that people don't worry much about installing aren't "by the book" either . . .

Thanks and a tip of the hat to Dupree for prodding a little thought this morning.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #91
ROBOSSRS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Inferno Orange
Studebaker had hill assist that worked well.
ROBOSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #92
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
My 83 Subaru had it. Awesome stuff, I'm surprised more cars don't have them. I've driven manuals since 1972, so it's not like I have a problem on hills, but that hill brake was a cool deal regardless.
When I was a kid, our '51 Studebaker had a "hill holder" that served the same purpose. It was a braking mechanism that released as soon as the clutch hit the friction point. Studebaker introduced the Hill Hold in 1936. Those cars were so advanced on things like this... people couldn't relate to them and shied away from the new-fangled gadgets, and didn't buy enough of them to stay in business (Studebaker's last year was 1966).

The '51 looked a lot like this:
Attached Images

2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)

Last edited by PalmerGA; 12-18-2012 at 11:20 AM.
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #93
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
Yeah I'm not too impressed with it either. I have just about killed it a couple of times while waiting for the assist to disengage. Might be nice for a novice but definitely BS if you know what you are doing.
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #94
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenningJ View Post
Yeah I'm not too impressed with it either. I have just about killed it a couple of times while waiting for the assist to disengage. Might be nice for a novice but definitely BS if you know what you are doing.
It can't be disabled?
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #95
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
It can't be disabled?
So far nobody has figured out how to disable it. I remain hopeful that someone will do so soon.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #96
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
To me it sounds like the system is not working correctly and may be a good contribution to early clutch failure. GM should relook at the programming.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #97
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
My 83 Subaru had it. Awesome stuff, I'm surprised more cars don't have them. I've driven manuals since 1972, so it's not like I have a problem on hills, but that hill brake was a cool deal regardless.
This thing sucks!!!!!!! it is going to destroy my clutch trying to back into my garage.Since i have to stop to make sure i have clearance so i dont hit anything,it wont release.Those of us who know how to drive dont need crap like this.
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #98
RoadieWingZ

Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 1LS
Works fine for me during the 2 weeks I've owned mine. I actually like it; especially when the bozo behind me on the hill thinks they have to get right on my bumper cuz they're in such a hurry.....

2013 Camaro LS
RoadieWingZ is offline   Reply With Quote