Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
Phat Ralph

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd Synergy
Let's talk Coil Over Spring Preload

Guys,

Working on my track setup a little more. Now want to play with Coil Spring Preload on the Pedders Xa's. Right now sitting at 5mm preload on all four corners. Talking to some guys that road race cars say to run 8mm in the front and 3mm or less in the rear. This will aid in nose dive under hard braking and provide good weight transfer for the drive off the corner.

Anyone have any information that they would like to share. I know that this is a lot driver preferance. What may be the optimum for our Camaro's?

Later
Ralph
2011 Camaro RS/SS Synergy - (Pedders Xa's Coilovers, ZL1 Sways, SS Brake Lines & Bushings), Hotchkis Chassis Brace & Strut Bar, DSS 1000hp Road Race Axles, Nitto NT-01's, TSW Wheels, ADM CAI, Borla ATAK, HAWK, Granatelli Rotors, Barton Shifter, Tick Performance Clutch Line, MRS Exhaust Tips, Elite Catch Can.
Phat Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
I would ask Pete for his opinion, and then do whatever Pete says. I'm not trying to say just blindly follow what Pete says because that's not what I'm getting at, Pete is The most knowledge person when it comes to the 5th gen camaro's suspension.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
Your anwser

will be found @ Pedders USA Forums>Files,Camaro XA Manual 160086
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
Phat Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrau View Post
will be found @ Pedders USA Forums>Files,Camaro XA Manual 160086
Thanks, but not found in the manual. Looking for advanced Track setups.
2011 Camaro RS/SS Synergy - (Pedders Xa's Coilovers, ZL1 Sways, SS Brake Lines & Bushings), Hotchkis Chassis Brace & Strut Bar, DSS 1000hp Road Race Axles, Nitto NT-01's, TSW Wheels, ADM CAI, Borla ATAK, HAWK, Granatelli Rotors, Barton Shifter, Tick Performance Clutch Line, MRS Exhaust Tips, Elite Catch Can.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Phat Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I would ask Pete for his opinion, and then do whatever Pete says. I'm not trying to say just blindly follow what Pete says because that's not what I'm getting at, Pete is The most knowledge person when it comes to the 5th gen camaro's suspension.

Just wanted to find if anyone else was this indepth into their setups and what they are running on the Road Courses.....
Old 08-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Ralph View Post

Just wanted to find if anyone else was this indepth into their setups and what they are running on the Road Courses.....
My track setup is 17 in the front and 22 rear (I have Pedders' Xa coilovers) per Pete's instructions.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
I think I would use preload and ride height to set your corner weights. find a good shop that can corner weight your car properly and align it.
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Phat Ralph

Quote:
My track setup is 17 in the front and 22 rear (I have Pedders' Xa coilovers) per Pete's instructions.
Okay, but wanting to know what the coil spring preload is set at......
Old 08-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
The Stig

Quote:
Okay, but wanting to know what the coil spring preload is set at......
Oh sorry. Pedders Xa coilovers have a 2mm preload, regardless of what you set ride height at.

Pete, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But I got the 2mm off of peddersusa.com
Old 08-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
Phat Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
I think I would use preload and ride height to set your corner weights. find a good shop that can corner weight your car properly and align it.
Thank you!

Camaro has been corner weighted and is pretty nuetral. But had about 5mm negative rake in the car at that time. I just changed the ride hieght a little to help with rear axle heat. So now I am 5mm positive rake. So this will add a little more weight on the nose. Adjusting spring weight in a static position say 45% front and 55% rear weight. In dynamic position the weight transfer under hard braking may be 55%F & 45%R. Thus exiting the corner the transfer may be 40%F & 60%R for the rear to hook up. Also running 140 mph down the straight and the spoiler being able to plant the rear for stability. Is a softer spring setup in the rear the way to go and heavier spring in the front for corner entry.

Just some thoughts! Love going to the track and adjusting and figuring what works best for me.....and helps turn faster lap times
Old 08-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
Phat Ralph

Quote:
Oh sorry. Pedders Xa coilovers have a 2mm preload, regardless of what you set ride height at.

Pete, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But I got the 2mm off of peddersusa.com
3 to 5mm is what is in my instuctions. So I went 5mm on all corners. But if I was to increase the front say to 8mm, when do you start to coil bind? Also so take the rear to 2 or 3mm and keep the front stiffer to plant the nose on corner entry but the rear soft for weight transfer and the drive off. This is the stuff I am after and sure Pete will come along and guide us.

Anyone else play with this stuff?
Old 08-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Hmmm last Xa instructions I received said 3 mm preload up front and 10mm in the rear. I do play with it and have mine at 5 all around.

Last advice I got from Pete (driving my car) was to put the front sway to full soft and full hard on the rear bar.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf xa install.pdf (2.63 MB, 199 views)
Old 08-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #13
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Guys,

Working on my track setup a little more. Now want to play with Coil Spring Preload on the Pedders Xa's. Right now sitting at 5mm preload on all four corners. Talking to some guys that road race cars say to run 8mm in the front and 3mm or less in the rear. This will aid in nose dive under hard braking and provide good weight transfer for the drive off the corner.

Anyone have any information that they would like to share. I know that this is a lot driver preference. What may be the optimum for our Camaro's?

Later
Ralph
Ralph,

If you setup like the other guys how are you going to beat them

With Pedders Xa or Supercar coilovers there is only one way to set the pre-load. My way

Front coil preload 2/3mm
Rear coil preload 10mm

I'll be happy to discuss your setup details here on the forum or privately if you are looking for an extra edge Here is the information I need from you.
  • Wheel and tire package details
  • Detailed list of powertrain modifications
  • Detailed list of all suspension modifications
  • Current Alignment specifications
  • Corner weights
  • Ride Heights Pedders Style
  • Sway bar sizes and setting if adjustable
  • RWHP
  • Brake Package including fluid and pad details

With this basic information we can into a detailed setup discussion.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #14
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
3 to 5mm is what is in my instructions. So I went 5mm on all corners. But if I was to increase the front say to 8mm, when do you start to coil bind? Also so take the rear to 2 or 3mm and keep the front stiffer to plant the nose on corner entry but the rear soft for weight transfer and the drive off. This is the stuff I am after and sure Pete will come along and guide us.

Anyone else play with this stuff?
You don't want that much transfer. You are driving a Two Ton 5th Gen. Fast on track is all about controlling weight transfer. If you were driving an INDY light or Porsche club race your setup would be very different than what is fast on a 5th Gen. We'll get your details and dial in from there.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote