Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
Vicny

Drives: 1SS Rally Yellow
Picked up my car....use USAA discount

I picked up my 1SS Camaro today...unreal! I live in Upstate NY and we are due to get our first significant snow tomorrow (Tuesday) evening, so I put some hard accelerations on it tonight (refer to Darin Morgan break-in thread) and will do some more tomorrow and then she'll probably come off the road until spring. I took one (12 years old) of my 4 kids for a drive tonight and she was slapping her legs and laughing every time I hit the gas and she heard the growl! My mom (77) did the same thing....it's in the blood!

I've read a lot of posts over the past 2 months about 1SS vs. 2SS and RS vs. non-RS. I didn't get the RS 'cause I was trying to keep price down and was somewhat indifferent to the lights. Don't get me wrong, the RS halo lights look great, but in my case it wasn't worth $1200. Don't know if I'll regret it later, but I really fell in love with the car itself from a performance standpoint and just wanted the car and V8...so all the extras, while cool and desirable, weren't a necessity to me...same goes for the 2SS upgrades. Others have opinions the other way (i.e. "what's an extra couple thou when your spending over $30k"), but I just wanted the car/engine/performance.

I ordered back in late September and wanted to get it here before year end for the discounts ($500 60-day incentive, $750 USAA member, and GMS...I work for GM, and the Fed. tax deduction). I can't stress how EASY the USAA $750 is to get. USAA is primarily set up for military families, but you can join as a "civilian" and get all their shopping discounts. So I called, signed up, printed my profile sheet with member number and got $750 off. Although my dad is a veteran, he didn't have to sign up nor was it a requirement for me to become a "civilian" member. It's $750 there for the taking. It goes away on 12/30/09....so cash in if you are going to get your car this year.

Sorry...no pics. Was dark by the time I got home (5:00) and doubt I'll get them tomorrow.

Thanks for "listening"....I'm a pretty happy guy right now!
Vicny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
But the key was your dad is a Veteran. I'm a Vet and my kids can join but my father can not.

Now that you have an account don't disregard it... they are undisputed #1...

CONTRATS on the car...
Old 12-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
None of my family members have ever served in the US Military. My grand father fought for the Brits in Burma. But I am still a member of USAA. I am hoping I can still use that discount in February, when I sign for the car
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:43 AM   #4
Vicny

Drives: 1SS Rally Yellow
When I signed up as a civilian, they didn't know my dad was a Veteran so it didn't influence membership either way. In the future I want to get my dad signed up with USAA so that I can have access to all the benefits/options.

Blade - the current discount runs through 12/30....hopefully they'll extend it
Vicny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:49 AM   #5
Mzodarg
Remembering those in Blue

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Blk w/IOM Int
Quote:
None of my family members have ever served in the US Military.
Just my opinion, but if you have no affiliation, why should you be entitled to the benefit? I for one sacrificed a lot for 23+ years and feel this is an entitlement that me and my family deserve.

Just my thoughts and I am sure the thoughts of many veterans like me.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:18 AM   #6
Tal

Drives: Old
Just wanted to note that the insurance benefits are restricted to those that served and their families.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:43 AM   #7
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzodarg View Post
Just my opinion, but if you have no affiliation, why should you be entitled to the benefit? I for one sacrificed a lot for 23+ years and feel this is an entitlement that me and my family deserve.

Just my thoughts and I am sure the thoughts of many veterans like me.
You may want to bring that up to USAA. And I guess my grand father serving the for the Brits means nothing to you since it's not US military. I thank you for your service and three of my friends too, I am a proud American, so plead don't dissapoint me with your narrow-mindedness. But I didn't make the membership rules, so please don't direct your opinions at me either.

USAA= United States Auto Association, originally it was open for vets and their families, then referrals and now to the public.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
You may want to bring that up to USAA. And I guess my grand father serving the for the Brits means nothing to you since it's not US military. I thank you for your service and three of my friends too, I am a proud American, so plead don't dissapoint me with your narrow-mindedness. But I didn't make the membership rules, so please don't direct your opinions at me either.

USAA= United States Auto Association, originally it was open for vets and their families, then referrals and now to the public.
USAA= United Services Automobile Association, and yes civillians can join but can't qualify for all the benefits such as car insurance and property insurance
Old 12-08-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
rodscamaro

Drives: 07' TAHOE LTZ
I’ve been a member of USAA since 91' and it's the best company I've ever been affiliated with. Also, I did serve in the military for 10 years. I believe being a veteran should have its privileges. :flag2:
rodscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Manual Synergy Grn
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnaBear@SpartaChevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodscamaro View Post
I’ve been a member of USAA since 91' and it's the best company I've ever been affiliated with. Also, I did serve in the military for 10 years. I believe being a veteran should have its privileges. :flag2:
Agreed!
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
I've been with USAA for 12 years, have all my loans/insurance/investments with them. I cannot praise them and their service enough.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #12
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
So if my Dad was a WWII veteran am I entitled to the USAA discount? Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #13
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
USAA ROCKS!
Old 12-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #14
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
So if my Dad was a WWII veteran am I entitled to the USAA discount? Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere.
Hmm I suppose I would be in the same boat as my father served in Vietnam so I'm curious about this as well.
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote