Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
Halltech

Drives: 2010 Halltech Camaro SS, 2008 C6Z06
Halltech's Yellow Jacket Carbon Fiber CAI=14 RWHP/10.6 lbs-ft

Halltech's Yellow Jacket Carbon Fiber CAI=14 RWHP/10.6 lbs-ft.

Yesterday our new induction system hit the rollers in Appleton, WI, and surprised me and the dyno operator. Our numbers matched dyno numbers on a previous Camaro they dynoed previously this year that was baselined, then had another CAI installed and full length headers, and high flow cats and exhaust. Neither that car, nor ours was programmed for these pulls.

I will not be posting the brands of either the CAI or headers, but you can lay their lines down and it looks like we traced over them.

Here is our best dyno pull. It was backed up with another pull that was 1 RWHP less:

We also dynoed our 102mm MAF housing, which is optional on our intake system, and saw no improvement in horsepower or torque, and tuning for the MAF yielded no additional power either. Very strange indeed, but 102mm is overkill for the normally aspirated stock LS3, and the additional 16% flow, is not needed by the motor. The Halltech Hornet 102mm MAF will show its stuff when the FAST LSXR and 102mm Throttle body are onboard, but neither one of those mods will show big gains until a cam and headers are onboard.

As you can see, the Halltech Hornet features glass filed Nylon 66 and the MAF meter has a 1" throw vs. 2" stock, for less restriction.

Our 102mm MAF housing will be the ticket for SC applications, and we now have the perfect MAF scaling for this monster.

I will have pictures Friday of the complete system. Our heat shield is due out next week as well.

Here is a CAD drawing of our Cross-linked Polyethylene Version, which will be identical to our carbon fiber version, but reasonably priced. It will be ready for production in November: Missing from the picture is our 9" ISO 5011 Certified high flow filter. 99.8% efficiency rating, just like stock.

Our ISO5011 Certified 8" filter:

Jim Hall

Last edited by Halltech; 11-14-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Halltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
Halltech

Plastic version with logo:

Release date November 25th.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Nice work Jim...long time viewer of your parts on the CorvetteForum (Xceler8)
Jon
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
Halltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
Nice work Jim...long time viewer of your parts on the CorvetteForum (Xceler8)
Jon
Thank you. I must say, this intake has been a real challenge. We really wanted to use our large MAF on all of our intakes, but the additional 16% flow was not metering properly in the ECM, so we adjusted the MAF code scaling on the pull where we tried the larger MAF. No power increase, which tells me the motor does not need any more flow than we have with the basic Yellow Jacket.

The larger MAF will really show its stuff on the Maggie applications where flow to the Maggie is everything. Sold two systems to guys putting the Maggie onboard.

On the plus side, programming is simply not needed at all to run our intake, and it produces 40% more power than our mighty Killer Bee does on the Z06. Love this car. Now it feels more like a Corvette LS3.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
I like and standby Halltech products
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
8ty8 ls1
Resident Engineer

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 1988 GMC S-15
any expected date of production?

12.68 @ 109: LSR cai, Borla S-type axle-back, Tunes
8ty8 ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
nuptualnemesis
NuptualNemesis

Drives: Silver 1SS M6 - 480hp 11.57/120.79
Ordered the carbon fiber version last week. Should ship Friday or Saturday. Plastic version will cost less but not ready till November. They are sending the blue donaldson filter (older picture) and the 9" high flow filter (current picture filter). They were very nice, when I saw the filter was changed on web site; said they would send both; no additional charge; even though new style filter flowed better.

I did order the 102mm MAF because I have a cam and will probably add a TVS2300 later. Got tired of waiting on Vararam, which will not work with a Maggie because of the inter-cooler in front of the radiator. I also have a ported intake and throttle body on order.

I gained 30hp and 35 lb. ft with AR Headers and cats to stock mufflers. Only picked up 30 hp with cam to 423 RWHP. I think the stock air box is killing the cam. I will post some dyno charts soon.
nuptualnemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
MoranoRacing
Account Suspended

Drives: 2005 GTO, 1973 Camaro
Nice looking kit
MoranoRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #9
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Hey Jim

Nice product you got there!

For all the Camaro guys that don't know who Jim Hall is..He is a Heavy hitter in the Corvette world.Hell I ran my Fastest times ever in My C-5 Z06 back when I was working at 21ST Century Musclecars using his ever so BASIC air bridge and filter...This car still lives and retains his product on it,But by someone else.

Glad to see you came on board,Just don't understand why it took you so long!

Andy
Owner- ADM PERFORMANCE
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
Halltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
Nice product you got there!

For all the Camaro guys that don't know who Jim Hall is..He is a Heavy hitter in the Corvette world.Hell I ran my Fastest times ever in My C-5 Z06 back when I was working at 21ST Century Musclecars using his ever so BASIC air bridge and filter...This car still lives and retains his product on it,But by someone else.

Glad to see you came on board,Just don't understand why it took you so long!

Andy
Owner- ADM PERFORMANCE
Thanks Andy, we try. The bottom line on the the Camaro induction as we see it, is proper MAF meter placement and the sq. inches of area at that read. Accuracy in the MAF read, makes all the difference in the world with this motor. We spent 6 weeks getting it right.

Power will be pretty close from intake to intake, with minor differences. A 4" tube will flow X amount of air, but the point of restriction in the LS3 will likely be the throttle body at 90mm, not the 100mm tube. After that the filter size and type will make some difference.

The PowerCore failed completely in our testing, which is really too bad, since it has incredible flow numbers and perfect filtration. The problem is that the center of the PowerCore has a rubber fill, which creates an airflow hollow right in the middle of the otherwise very clean air. That fools the MAF meter into thinking there is less air than there really is, creating lean codes.

The massive filter we now use is ISO 5011 Certified, which means it has 99.4% filtration, and because of the massive surface area, we can double the cotton gauze to 8 layer (most other filters are 4 layer) and still flow numbers that will provide 700+ HP motors. This is the same media used in our Killer Bee induction for the C6Z06. We have a 650HP motor running this type of media, so we know it flows.

Our dyno test was done by an independent shop(MSI) in Appleton, WI that has no connection with our company at all. In fact, I stood by the wayside and just swapped out intakes, they did the rest.

One more point, which bears full disclosure. Our car came from the dealer with the GM HP mufflers, which contributed to the stock pull and our Yellow Jacket pull. At 369 RWHP stock, it looks like they contribute a few HP to both stock and Halltech's Yellow Jacket. We did not know they were added at the dealership until we looked under the car.

The other Camaro that they dynoed a few weeks ago, was bone stock for the first pulls, then a competitor's CAI, full length headers, high flow cats, and high flow mufflers (don't know the brands) and it only beat our setup by 3 RWHP/3 ft. lbs torque. So apparently our Yellow Jacket and factory exhaust (except for the mufflers) nearly matched a much more aggressive and expensive package.

The last two pulls were done with our 102mm MAF housing, and some programming to scale the MAF tables for this unit. There was no increase in hp or torque. We then changed the commanded air fuel ratio to 13.3:1 from 12.3:1 and once again we saw no appreciable increase in power. That is a first for me. In 8 years of programming, we always pick up 5 to 10 RWHP with a one point bump to lean. It is what it is.

The silver lining to this is that our intake ran 12.3:1 air fuel ratio without any tuning. Most folks are aware that tuning your Camaro will void you warranty if the motor lets go.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
tman52804

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS/RS
I want one!
MGW Short throw shifter
Kooks LT Headers/Hi flow Cats
Vmax TB
tman52804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:21 AM   #12
Halltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman52804 View Post
I want one!
We'll have pictures next week of the one we dynoed Tuesday. It will be all carbon fiber, without the Halltech Hornet102mm MAF sensor. The dyno numbers shown were done without tuning, which is necessary with the Optional Halltech Hornet 102mm MAF housing setup.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #13
nuptualnemesis
NuptualNemesis

Drives: Silver 1SS M6 - 480hp 11.57/120.79
Yellow Jacket added 34HP on Cammer Car

I am sorry Halltech did not have their intake ready to ship for the shoot out. I just put the second carbon fiber intake Halltech built on my LS3.
Put it on the dyno and picked up over 34 hp, from stock air box with cam and AR Headers; 455.42 hp to the rear wheels.

Jim had recommended sweeping the intire MAF code by 116% because it would flow 16% more than than stock. I already had a tune for the cam
and stock airbox which made 421 hp and the extra 16% was right on.

I should caution that I ordered the oversized MAF version with the 102mm MAF and larger tube because I have a compcam 281LRR HR13 with
231/247 duration. This is a tune only intake because over sized. I did not test any other intake and the large increase was probably partly caused
by the stock air box starving the cam.

They also offer the non-tune version with standard size MAF. But this one is great for cams or blowers. I will be adding ported throttle body
and ported intake next.

A copy of the dyno graph is attached with under the hood picture. We let off at 6,500 RPM, before it hit the rev limiter, on the first pull.

I love this intake and the service. Jim even sent two versions of the filter because they changed the picture after I ordered.
Attached Images

nuptualnemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #14
futrocpd
P90X

Drives: 2000 SLP SS VERT
noice

P90X changed my life. Want to know more, PM me for more info on changing your life for the better
futrocpd is offline   Reply With Quote