Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
The Oscars thread.

Anyone watching the awards?

I'm pulling for Hurt Locker. AMAZING movie... shame someone actually spent the money on a smear campaign to hurt their chances.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
I am. The John Hughes tribute was great. The 80's sucked, John made them bearable with his films!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
I am. The John Hughes tribute was great. The 80's sucked, John made them bearable with his films!

They did a GREAT job with that. He really did produce some incredible movies.

Steve Martin/Baldwin are doing a good job too
Old 03-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

lmao Ben Stiller
Old 03-08-2010, 01:15 AM   #5
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
I cant believe Avatar got robbed for best picture. How can the biggest grossing film of alltime not be the best movie of the year. Its also an awesome film. I guess Jim really pissed off AMPAS again lol.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:26 AM   #6
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUMPER20X View Post
I cant believe Avatar got robbed for best picture. How can the biggest grossing film of alltime not be the best movie of the year. Its also an awesome film. I guess Jim really pissed off AMPAS again lol.
They didn't get robbed, Hurt Locker was a much better movie.

The awards go to the best, not the most popular.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:32 AM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Perhaps because when you take away the visuals its essentially the same story as Pocahontas (or one of any number of other similar movies)
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:45 AM   #8
2000v6

Drives: 2003 m3, 2000 camaro v6, 2004 s4
Kind of weird that bullock though married to jesse james, sleeps with meryl streep. My gf was watching them and I overheard that being said
2000v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:00 AM   #9
TwoEcho
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-Imperial Blue
Avatar was overhyped. It looked amazing, but the movie itself was uber-weak. The hurt locker was just incredible, and deserved every award it won last night. Overall the Oscars were good. Baldwin/Martin were funny. Molly Ringwald and Judd Nelson looked like hell, but the tribute to Hughes was cool. I could've done without the 15 minutes of interpretive dance, though. And it kind of bothered me that people who won awards were given such a short time to deliver their thank yous, but Ben Stiller (as funny as his bit was) was on stage for 5 minutes before he even introduced a category.

TwoEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #10
jcamaro
Obsessed Much?

Drives: 2015 Silver 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
The blockbusters hardly ever win big at the awards shows. Star Wars won similar awards, sound, editing, special effects, etc. The first 2 Lord of the Rings were the same, with Return of the King finally being recognized with a Best Picture. The Dark Knight was one of the few really good blockbuster movies that got awarded for it, too. Most, like Avatar, are fun movies to watch but don't have much depth to them. I loved it and wanted it to win, but it was a pipe dream. Other movies deserved it more. I didn't know this until I read it on Yahoo this morning, but the director for The Hurt Locker was James Cameron's ex-wife from 89-91.

Avatar also lost out on sound editing, which was fine by me. Too many reused sounds to give it an award. Basically every creature used a dinosaur sound from Jurassic Park. They could have been more original.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #11
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEcho View Post
Avatar was overhyped. It looked amazing, but the movie itself was uber-weak. The hurt locker was just incredible, and deserved every award it won last night. Overall the Oscars were good. Baldwin/Martin were funny. Molly Ringwald and Judd Nelson looked like hell, but the tribute to Hughes was cool. I could've done without the 15 minutes of interpretive dance, though. And it kind of bothered me that people who won awards were given such a short time to deliver their thank yous, but Ben Stiller (as funny as his bit was) was on stage for 5 minutes before he even introduced a category.

couple times, people leaned in to say something into the mic and the power to the mic had been cut
Old 03-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #12
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
I agree on Hurt Locker- it was excellent. Avatar absolutely deserved every technical achievement award that they could throw at it- and it was a very fun movie, but it wasn't an excellent movie as far as story goes.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #13
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
Well first of all, it 's made the most money, but hasn't sold the most tickets of all time. I heard the l.a. times did a story a couple weeks ago showing it was actually #21 , at the time, adjusted for inflation. Hey those $16 IMAX tickets ad up huh!
Secondly it was fitting that hurt locker won, because they always give it , these days, to stuff nobody wants to see.
And just think if Cameron won best director. They didn't give Scorsese that till like a year ago, and Spielberg has only won once.
If Star Wars didn't win, i sure as hell didn't want avatar to win.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #14
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
I didnt mean to discredit hurt locker. I just Thought Avatar was an incredible film on a lot of standpoints. whatever lol.