Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-06-2013, 03:46 AM   #1
mrmertz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
ZL1 and A/C

Posted this in our club's forum also ...

Just traded my '13 2SS 1LE for a '13 ZL1. Maybe it's just me, but it didn't take long for the SS to start blowing cold air once the car was started, even in this hot AZ heat.

The ZL1 on the other hand seems to take an eternity before it starts blowing cold at all. The settings are identical when being used in both cars - a/c on max setting (yes, the little snowflake always gets pressed too) and air on recirculating. Anybody else notice this?
mrmertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:47 AM   #2
jashobbsie
Davenport Stage 5+

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & C7 Corvette 3LT Z51
thats funny...my ZL1 is like a freezer when I want it to be...my wife always complains that she's frozen to death...lol

Mine was made in canada as well...not that would make a difference...so was my 2SS...but I've noticed for some reason the ZL1 seems colder...I have it on the first click in 30 degree Celsius....

Last edited by jashobbsie; 07-07-2013 at 12:47 AM.
jashobbsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #3
mrmertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashobbsie View Post
thats funny...my ZL1 is like a freezer when I want it to be...my wife always complains that she's frozen to death...lol
Oh I wish. When it finally decides to start blowing cool air at all, it's not cold - cold, beginning to think something's wrong here. The air in the SS just seemed to function faster and actually a little colder too, but the main problem is how long until it even starts blowing cool/cold air.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:55 AM   #4
Vroom

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Mine starts blowing cold air in seconds. People always comment how they're impressed how fast it got cold. If its taking for ages you should take it in.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:03 AM   #5
mrmertz

Yeah, something's wrong here. It's going in this coming Wed. so I think I'll just leave it off and have the tech get in the car with me and show him how long it takes. Of course, we all know at THAT particular point it will perform flawlessly and blow chilly cold!

Sigh...
Old 07-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
Bargeratt

Drives: ZL1, Rally Yellow
Yeah something needs to be looked at. Mine is a ice box in seconds
Bargeratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Bigtime53

You are not alone. Mine will get cold but it takes awhile.I have noticed it taking longer than my truck and it is black! I just thought that was the way it is supposed to be but maybe not.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Initially on start up if I've left the air on high and cold as it will go, edit, yes snow flake,( no refresh button is what I meant) because I don't usually use that, it takes maybe 5-15 seconds before butt cold air comes out on mine(never actually timed it), this is in Alabama, it's almost as hot as Arizona, but we have humidity that will kill you(and of course the guys in Florida always say it's worse there, but let me tell you, once you get to a certain humidity it's just miserable and an extra 3% doesn't make you feel any worse, I know, I'm back and forth between Bama and Florida).

That being stated, I've had three incidences where upon start up the fan blew, but the compressor didn't come on, I believe it is related to my phone charger that is plugged in next to the cluster gauges. Because, the first time I ripped out the charger and it started working. The last time I turned the car off and turned it back on and it started working.

Last edited by 2012-1822; 07-06-2013 at 12:02 PM.
2012-1822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
I leave my air on max upon exiting plus I use the dash sunshade. Start the car a few minutes before getting in and it's cold in there.
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
Snakestang65

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray ZL1
There is another thread where there is information on ZL1's being overcharged from the factory. Once a few ounces of 134 are removed, the systems performed much better. (Especially here in AZ). Take your car into the dealer and have them check.

John

Here is the thread : http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233355

Last edited by Snakestang65; 07-06-2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Added link to thread
Snakestang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
BlemsBumble

Drives: '13 ZL1 #662; '10 SS; '99 SS
No Arizona heat here but not too far behind. It was 111 the other day. Had to turn it down. Too cold. The best AC I've ever had in a car. Just hope it lasts.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
mrmertz

Thanks for all the inputs! Interesting!

Took it to the dealer this morning. Unfortunately, the dealership doesn't have certified a/c crews on during the weekend. The guys that do handle the a/c's aren't trouble shooters though, so I opted out and will go in this Wed. I'm taking the entire day off and will "hawk" the work being done.

As I see I'm not the only one in this situation, I'm going to throw some of the things posted here at the tech. Overcharging can definitely cause problems. I've also heard of bad Body Control Modules, leaks in system, high pressure switch failures, etc. to me, the '13 SS definitely felt colder and blew that air within seconds after start up. I noticed that upon shutting it off (the a/c) and then a few minutes later starting it up again, it didn't take long. However, having the car sitting out in the sun it took about a good minute before it started blowing cool air.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmertz View Post
Thanks for all the inputs! Interesting!

Took it to the dealer this morning. Unfortunately, the dealership doesn't have certified a/c crews on during the weekend. The guys that do handle the a/c's aren't trouble shooters though, so I opted out and will go in this Wed. I'm taking the entire day off and will "hawk" the work being done.

As I see I'm not the only one in this situation, I'm going to throw some of the things posted here at the tech. Overcharging can definitely cause problems. I've also heard of bad Body Control Modules, leaks in system, high pressure switch failures, etc. to me, the '13 SS definitely felt colder and blew that air within seconds after start up. I noticed that upon shutting it off (the a/c) and then a few minutes later starting it up again, it didn't take long. However, having the car sitting out in the sun it took about a good minute before it started blowing cool air.

Hello mrmetz,

Sorry for the delay, but if possible, we would appreciate it if you updated us on your progress Wednesday and if there is anything we could do to help. Feel free to private message us and if we can get involved to help, we will.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #14
c4maroboy
[HOONIGAN]

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1848[The HOONIGAN MOBILE]
similar issues here. except today my car sat in the heat from 8am to 2pm and it only took less than ten minutes for it to cool down.