Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-13-2016, 07:33 PM   #1
JemSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, 1993 Camaro Z28
Grinding From Rear Brakes after Pad/Rotor Change

I recently swapped out the stock brake pads and rotors with drilled/slotted rotors from Power Stop, along with new ceramic/carbon pads.

I noticed some noise for the first few miles, but nothing major - assumed it was just the brake pads and rotors "breaking in".

However, the noises were much worse the second time I took the car out. The sound is now a loud grinding sound that appears to be coming from the rear passenger brake. It sounds very similar to a car that needs new brakes.

Also, the sound is present when taking off from a stop, but appears to go away once you reach 15-20mph (this is most noticeable after coming to a complete stop).
  • No visual issue with the rotor
  • Sound happens when using the brakes, or when taking off after a full stop
  • Seems to be less noise after a few miles of driving (hard to confirm as I'm trying to avoid driving a lot as the sound is terrible)

I'm taking everything off again tomorrow to check, but was curious to if there was anything I should look for. This is my first time changing the brakes on this car, so I definitely may have made a rookie mistake.
JemSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:27 AM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Kind of sounds like the caliper pistons aren't retracting so the pad(s) stay sitting against the rotor instead of moving back off of the rotor - could the calipers have been damaged during install? Each piston has a small rubber o-ring-like thing which retracts the pistons after use, so maybe one of these got cut?. Maybe look to see if one of the pads is worn a bit more than the others; also make sure the rotors and pads are all sitting square to the hub/each other; and if everything appears fine, you could try a pad-bedding procedure.
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:31 AM   #3
maxxsmoke

Drives: 2010 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Kind of sounds like the caliper pistons aren't retracting so the pad(s) stay sitting against the rotor instead of moving back off of the rotor - could the calipers have been damaged during install? Each piston has a small rubber o-ring-like thing which retracts the pistons after use, so maybe one of these got cut?. Maybe look to see if one of the pads is worn a bit more than the others; also make sure the rotors and pads are all sitting square to the hub/each other; and if everything appears fine, you could try a pad-bedding procedure.
eh no. that's not how disk brakes work the are in fact made to retain pressure to keep pads in light contact when not applied. check with the rotor manufacturer they might have an issue with a burr on the cross drill holes
maxxsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:11 PM   #4
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
it sounds silly but ive seen pads put in backwards before. it will do exactly what your describing.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:27 PM   #5
KillboyPowerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxsmoke View Post
eh no. that's not how disk brakes work the are in fact made to retain pressure to keep pads in light contact when not applied. check with the rotor manufacturer they might have an issue with a burr on the cross drill holes
eh yes. that is how disk brakes work.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #6
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
The pads always stay in light contact with the rotor...
Old 12-15-2016, 02:00 PM   #7
KillboyPowerhead

The pads will maintain light contact but the pistons retract ever so slightly so as to relieve any (most of the) pressure from the pads against the rotor; if the pistons stayed in the after-use position there would still be some braking force present (for a short amount of time) and the pads would wear much quicker.