Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-03-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2016 SS
Transmission decision help

I am in a very good position to fortunately be able to upgrade into a SS. I am torn between getting a standard (LS3) or a auto (L99). This thread is not intended by any means to start the typical debate on which transmission is better.

The only reason I am second guessing getting a standard is due to the fact that I have never honestly truly operated a standard in my life (I am 20 years old). I am honestly a little afraid I am going to break the clutch or something else trying to get use to a standard for the first time.

I have heard over and over how much more fun it is and how it is a challenge. I like fun.. and I like a challenge, but again.. I do not know if this is the best decision for me.

If you were me.. Would you get a standard or a auto?
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:53 AM   #2
LS3AlexSS

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro SS
Standard...you'll be able to handle it, it really isn't that difficult. As far as "breaking" the clutch, you can wear it out with improper technique just have someone teach you or look up youtube videos. It is MUCH more fun with a standard transmission, having driven both.

Not to mention the extra HP from LS3, forgot to mention that. I think the L99 has 400 hp even.

Last edited by LS3AlexSS; 01-03-2012 at 01:54 AM. Reason: forgot to mention
LS3AlexSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:06 AM   #3
P3SAR
Waiting to Drive

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS IBM w/SIM
x2
Old 01-03-2012, 02:10 AM   #4
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3AlexSS View Post
Standard...you'll be able to handle it, it really isn't that difficult. As far as "breaking" the clutch, you can wear it out with improper technique just have someone teach you or look up youtube videos. It is MUCH more fun with a standard transmission, having driven both.

Not to mention the extra HP from LS3, forgot to mention that. I think the L99 has 400 hp even.
You are correct. It does have more HP.

If I were able to take a Camaro with a LS3 and drive it for a weekend I would be much more comfortable making the decision.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #5
HashimAzzouz

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM ~ 2009 Traverse LT
It vastly depends on where do you live my friend. I live in the biggest & the most crowded city in Saudi Arabia. So getting a manual would be a insane job to do.

You got what I mean! buy whatever gonna sute you well

Cheers
HashimAzzouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:41 AM   #6
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
It depends on your needs as well as your area. If the car is going to be a DD in stop and go traffic, then I'd seriously advise against the M6 (some people still do this and are completely fine with it). As a young guy, I'm not sure what your financial situation is like, but you're definitely not going to like the added maintenance of the M6 if you do in fact live in a high traffic area an the car is your DD. If your situation is similar, go A6.

With that said, if the car is just going to be your weekend toy, then go M6.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #7
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3XPanther View Post
It depends on your needs as well as your area. If the car is going to be a DD in stop and go traffic, then I'd seriously advise against the M6 (some people still do this and are completely fine with it). As a young guy, I'm not sure what your financial situation is like, but you're definitely not going to like the added maintenance of the M6 if you do in fact live in a high traffic area an the car is your DD. If your situation is similar, go A6.

With that said, if the car is just going to be your weekend toy, then go M6.
Agreed, I am going with the A6 mainly b/c stop and go in a manual is extreamly nerve grating to me.. I am 22 and have driven manuals as long as I have driven auto's. Also with the paddle shifters and whatnot you can still do almost all the fun shinanagins.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:26 AM   #8
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Daily driver over 20 mins one way or Multiple drivers (A6)

Weekend warrior (M6)

If still not sure, will probably default to availability.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
if i were you, i would opt for the LS3 but i am biased. they are easy to operate, and a blast to drive
Dznts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
If I were you, I'd get the auto if I had to do a lot of driving in stop and go traffic. Otherwise, I'd get the manual.

I'd recommend that you also investigate the significant difference between the two engines. The L99 (that comes with the AT) has several advanced features that
affect the valvetrain - variable valve timing and displacement on demand. Depending
on your perspective, these can be viewed as good or bad.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #11
SSSugar
American Muscle Car Club

Drives: '11 2SS/RS Summit White/IOM stripes
We have one of each and they both have their selling points. But I agree with other posters, stop and go traffic is a pain with the M6.

1972 Camaro Z-28 (Baby), Haul Ass Orange w/black stripes, 350 crate motor, black powder coated wheels
License Plate: 2Cool Z

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (Spice), Inferno Orange Metallic w/painted Summit White rally stripes, LS3 6-speed (HIS) License Plate: 2Cool SS

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Sugar), Summit White w/ painted Inferno Orange Metallic rally stripes, Inferno Orange interior, L99 automatic (HERS) License Plate: 1Kool SS
SSSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
djamphi555

Drives: Camaro 2010
Hmmm, I dare to say that driving the M6 in stop and go traffic works your leg muscle more. All Camaro owners should be thrilled about this, since we all also park our cars in the furthest parking spot to avoid door dings and get some excercise? Right?
djamphi555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

This will be my DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznts View Post
if i were you, i would opt for the LS3 but i am biased. they are easy to operate, and a blast to drive
I would like to have one, but perhaps its better for the future. You and I will still have matching IOM's

Quote:
Originally Posted by djamphi555 View Post
Hmmm, I dare to say that driving the M6 in stop and go traffic works your leg muscle more. All Camaro owners should be thrilled about this, since we all also park our cars in the furthest parking spot to avoid door dings and get some excercise? Right?
Hmm.. I do need to get to work on building my leg muscles..
Old 01-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #14
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
The LS3 is the motor to have. Learn how to drive a stick. Traffic in general is a pain in the ass....makes no difference if you have a manual or automatic. I've been driving for years...in Seattle traffic...which is some of the worst in the nation. In fact, I think autos are a bigger PITA in traffic because they shift all the time.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote