Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #127
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American ZL1 View Post
I don't know about you guys but when I'm on a track I usually prefer to have a roll cage, harness, HANS, safety equipment etc. Neither of these cars offer that.

I think the z28 would look pretty cool if it had the ZL1 hood insert, I agree the one it has looks a little weak, but the rest of the changes look pretty cool.

With either car people are going to change them to fit their own needs, I bet a lot of people will get radio and A/C in their z28. I bet a lot of Zl1 drivers will change their brakes and tire packages. At the end of the day they will be very close in performance after mods.

The trick is to enjoy what you have and quit comparing your you know whats. Us ZL1 drivers have been guilty of doing that to the SS owners for a while now.
Hell I like my street cars with a/c, a nice radio and at least some bells and whistles and seems the Z28 won't be having that (I wonder how much extra the AC will be). So if it's not a track car by your standards and not a very good street car by mines how do we classify it?
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #128
RoadMonkey
that's how we do it

Drives: '20 ZL1 / A10 Shadow Gray
I am looking forward to seeing any of these cars in person. I do like the looks of the white Z/28 compared to the '14 Camaro in the video. I really don't care for the front view of the Camaro with the chrome deal on it. Maybe its the angle of the photo or the color of the car?? I don't know... No matter what, you will see me smiling in my ZL1. Congrats to any and all Z/28 owners, but I will not be one of them (at least that is my opinion today)....
[COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=black]'02 Camaro SS/SLP 6spd
RoadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #129
dixonk

Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 ZL1#1658 View Post
Is that a CAI and oil catch can already stock?
I think that is the dry sump.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #130
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog360 View Post
I am looking forward to seeing any of these cars in person. I do like the looks of the white Z/28 compared to the '14 Camaro in the video. I really don't care for the front view of the Camaro with the chrome deal on it. Maybe its the angle of the photo or the color of the car?? I don't know... No matter what, you will see me smiling in my ZL1. Congrats to any and all Z/28 owners, but I will not be one of them (at least that is my opinion today)....
+1
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #131
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic1 View Post
Oh yeah, she's comin.........trunk junk, smaller battery, seats........I may rip out the back seat and put a black cloth liner in place............I have a good friend who works at the seat plant in supervision........I'm going to see what he can do for me.....those seats are awesome.........if i was real bored I'd strip the interior and lose the deadener..........put this fat bastard on a diet.....yeeha
That's awesome! Let us know how it goes.

2016 Silverado LTZ-Z71 Midnight Edition: 6.2L, 8 speed auto, Borla exhaust
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #132
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by awh3r View Post
With the front fascia staying the same on the 2014 ZL1, will the hood configuration stay the same?
Yes, for the same reason the front facia remains the same, for the areodymanics.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #133
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American ZL1 View Post
I don't know about you guys but when I'm on a track I usually prefer to have a roll cage, harness, HANS, safety equipment etc. Neither of these cars offer that.

I think the z28 would look pretty cool if it had the ZL1 hood insert, I agree the one it has looks a little weak, but the rest of the changes look pretty cool.

With either car people are going to change them to fit their own needs, I bet a lot of people will get radio and A/C in their z28. I bet a lot of Zl1 drivers will change their brakes and tire packages. At the end of the day they will be very close in performance after mods.

The trick is to enjoy what you have and quit comparing your you know whats. Us ZL1 drivers have been guilty of doing that to the SS owners for a while now.
So install your choice of roll cages and other safety equipment that will conform to whatever rules your favorite track requires. What's so hard about that?

Would it be nice if a roll cage was a factory option, Absolutely, but they probably drew the line there, intentionally leaving it up to the new owner to install it to ensure it meets whatever rules the particular owner chooses to race at require.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #134
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Why do the press photo's show a full radio and all the steering wheel controls? I'm guessing you can option up the z/28 if you want to.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #135
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by I call it Vera View Post
I'm happy with my car over the Z28. Here's why:

1. I have a convertible
2. I like the extra technology and amenities on my car
3. Those tires on the Z28 look great, but they also look more expensive, more difficult in cold weather, and more fragile on the street. I think the ZL1 tires are bad enough as it is (being summer only, etc . . . )
4. ZL1 Hood >>>> Z28 hood
5. I'm not really going to track my car. (would have gotten a coupe . . . )

I had a 1989 Z28 when I was in college. Frankly, the new Z28 is not a 'college car'. it's clearly a step up from my old car, but the badging is the same. It's clear to me that the ZL1 is a step up, so I feel a little more successful having the ZL1. (yeah, yeah, weird)

I was slightly annoyed that the Z28 is faster . . . but I'm over that now. Frankly, I'm not that good of a driver anyway.

If only GM would take the 427, add a super charger and make THAT the 2014 ZL1 . . .
Another note.

That front splitter?!? I thought I was scared of parking my ZL1.
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #136
E-Ray

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Nightfall Grey
+1

E-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #137
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by I call it Vera View Post
I see it as an option for 2013. Is it discontinued for 2014?

BTW, it's an awesome color. My dealer has had 2 on the show room floor, and they both look amazing.
Yep
IOM discontinued after 2013 MY
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #138
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
Why do the press photo's show a full radio and all the steering wheel controls? I'm guessing you can option up the z/28 if you want to.
Just because they are there, dcoesn't mean there's an acual radio connected to them.

Extensive lightweighting saved 300 pounds over the Camaro ZL1
To optimize the track performance of the Camaro Z/28, the engineering team subjected it to an intensive lightweighting program, saving 100 pounds (45 kilograms) compared to the naturally aspirated Camaro SS and 300 pounds (136 kilograms) to the supercharged Camaro ZL1.
“We looked at every subsystem for opportunities to save weight,” said Oppenheiser. “Our goal was to get rid of everything that didn’t make the car faster, and keep only what was required by law. For example, we wanted to eliminate the audio system completely, but we had to keep a single speaker for the seat-belt chime to meet safety requirements.”
Old 03-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #139
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C. View Post
I find it hard to believe that -300lbs and some chassis rework will give the Z/28 3sec per lap than the ZL1.. Need more details on the Z/28.
One word - Tires
Old 03-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #140
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I will tell you what I found intriquing. is that they say this wheel package shaves 42lbs over the ZL1 wheel package.

that is cool if it is true.

the brake package shaves 28 lbs but I am sure the brake package will be like 8-9k.

could be some nice wieght reduction products. I would consider rocking those wheels to save 42lbs. although they will proabably be like $9000 dollars ha ha.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote