Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 10-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #15
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
$$$?
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #16
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
The whole wheel and airbag are really easy to take off and put back on. I spent a 1/2 hour trying to figure out how to take out the shifters on the wheel to find out you can just pop off the cheap caps which reveal a cheap xbox like button to shift. It makes it really easy to customize the paddles, and if you screw up it should be pretty cheap to fix.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:39 PM   #17
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
I take my steering wheel off before I leave the car. It's the best "lo-jack" device around.
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:49 PM   #18
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
$$$?
799 as shown above for ours.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:39 AM   #19
SCSol

Drives: Camaro
Sorry it took so long to respond but I’ve been a little busy. Thanks for the removal info. The reason for removing the steering wheel is so that the whole interior can come out. The Camaro I’m working on is going to the SEMA show and you can see the car in the General Motors booth.
SCSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #20
dreamst8
WrkrBee

Drives: 16 Hyper & 11 Victory
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodzz4 View Post
there are two small holes on each side of the wheel, look closely. after disconnecting the battery and waiting for the airbag to discharge take a small, long allen wrench and insert it. you will feel a spring , push in and at the same time pull on the airbag, it will pop out. repeat this on the other side of the airbag. now there are to plugs on the back of the bag, release the safety latches with a small screw driver and pull plugs. the wheel is held to the column ith a large Torx head bolt, not a nut as in most vehicles, Im not sure what size it is but be prepared for this. hope this helps

Anyone got a report on the TORX size needed for removal?

2011 2 LT/RS Victory Red V6 M6
dreamst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #21
FrankT
400HP used to be enough..

Drives: 2010 2SS rs manual
T45. Same as the seat belt anchor bolts.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #22
dreamst8
WrkrBee

Drives: 16 Hyper & 11 Victory
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodzz4 View Post
there are two small holes on each side of the wheel, look closely. after disconnecting the battery and waiting for the airbag to discharge take a small, long allen wrench and insert it. you will feel a spring , push in and at the same time pull on the airbag, it will pop out. repeat this on the other side of the airbag. now there are to plugs on the back of the bag, release the safety latches with a small screw driver and pull plugs. the wheel is held to the column ith a large Torx head bolt, not a nut as in most vehicles, Im not sure what size it is but be prepared for this. hope this helps
May I add a few modifications and additions to this description..as I discovered this evening as I replaced my wheel with an ACE Custom Steering unit..

The "Spring" is actually plastic grabbers that snap over a metal clip on the inside of the wheel, ya kinda have to fish for them... then push and hold it...a nice tug will help pull it away.

Next, with the airbag/horn loose, 2 yellow wires connect to the back of it. On the airbag itself, cautiously lift the tab over the top of the round part and it will release the safety latch, and allow to wiggle the connectors out of the back of the airbag assembly. Set aside.

The wheel itself is held in place with the LARGE TORX only. The other 3 torx screws held various parts of the wheel guts..no need to remove those until the wheel is off if necessary.

The LARGE black connector with a lot of wires needs to be disconnected to allow the wheel to come off, its the wide one in the top middle, use a small screwdriver to release the tab if necessary

Next, remove the large torx head bolt. Tap on the wheel to loosen the grip on the steering stub to pull off.

Wheel is now removed... if all the right tools are in place and ya have an idea exactly what to do, this should take about 10 minutes of your time..

(The stub seems to have a centering device, so it will only fir back on the same place, no need to mark the spot)

And proceed to do what ever else ya need to do!
Attached Images

2011 2 LT/RS Victory Red V6 M6
dreamst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #23
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
Anybody in the tampa Florida that can help me do this mod. I've been trying and I cannot hit the spring to pull push on. I have a whit steering wheel trim I want to put it on. I've been wiggling pushing and no spring from what I've felt. Any help would be great. I've read the DIY thread that has pics. But in those holes I'm not hitting anything. Any help would be great
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #24
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
ok i also am trying to do this. now how do you get the plastic cover that is your horn off? do you just pull on it or what.

my car has been in and out of two shops and i think i am already missing two screws for the cover under the column. so i am not sure what else i need to do cause i am already missing parts. i my self can not find a walk trough of how to do this. but iam already knowing a part or i should say tool that i need. so its kind of good i got stuck on the easy part.
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #25
mello yellow

Drives: lt1 Yellow
Ok, just changed my steering wheel on my lt to a leather with radio controls. now my stabilitrack light says off and when my dealer tried to program my radio controls it screwed something up and now my radio will not even come on. help!!!!!
mello yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #26
mello yellow

Drives: lt1 Yellow
bump
mello yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #27
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
mellow yellow make sure the black plug is plugged in ( it may be partially in
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #28
BBQdDude

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS
Bringing this back from the dead. I want to get to the bezel/silver grey piece on the wheel. Once the airbag is out is there anything else to disassemble? Also how long does it take once the battery is unhooked for the air bag to drain?
BBQdDude is offline   Reply With Quote