Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want a more powerful version of the Camaro(Z28)?
Yes 836 76.07%
No 263 23.93%
Voters: 1099. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2008, 12:51 PM   #519
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Are you sheeting me?! Wow! That's crazy. Forgive me, but is your currency worth more than ours, or standard of living higher to make it that much more? That's just crazy...
I was up in St. Johns, newfoundland back in Feb. (wallet got stolen up there. . .). Everything is more expensive up there. plus then (prob the same or close to now) 1 USD was worth .87 cents CND. so it's close but not great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
What Mats is saying is that the car is 75K US here. We have a problem here with GM price gouging Canadians.
I got what he was saying how much they are up there. I still don't see how 1.0667 CND to 1 USD (xe.com) would cause that much of a difference. taxes?
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #520
Rickys S/C Z28

Drives: 67,79,00 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
How do you know that? There's no info on the Z28. It could be something you hate when it does come out. What if it had a turbo 4 in it? What if it were a station wagon variant? Or a 4-door? Or had tons of stick-on ground effects you hated? Would you still rather have something you don't know yet what that something is?

If all you care about is the letters on the badge then you can always change the SS badge to something you prefer and be content.
you make a good point but i was meaning that with the cars that you can get now i like the Z cars better then the SS cars that have been made in the past hell im getting a new Camaro when they come out because i have never bought a new car, and after 15 mounts in iraq and 12 month is in "the Stan" i feel like i deserve one i don't care if it a SS or a Z28 as long as its silver has a hockey stripe and a 6 speed with a bad ass motor in if i don't care
i want a 5th gen!
Rickys S/C Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #521
GCguy2169

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS

Couldnt have said it better

We are all lucky to be getting what we are getting...How you can ask for more? I dont know. I'm stoked about the SS and couldnt imagine more. From GM's Canada videos and the extensive testing and reviews, this car is
-BTR Stage 4 Cam, ID850 Injectors, E-85 Tuned, Corsa Xtreme Exhaust , Kooks 1 7/8 Headers, Melling Performance Oil Pump, ATI Super Damper, BMR Suspension: Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, 1” Lowering Springs, Differential Bushings, Rx Ported and Polished Throttle Body, VIS Racing Carbon Fiber Hood, Custom Painted - Body Kit, Entire Vehicle, ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill, MRR 20” Wheels, Powerstop Brakes, Koni SRT.T Shocks and Struts
GCguy2169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #522
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
I got what he was saying how much they are up there. I still don't see how 1.0667 CND to 1 USD (xe.com) would cause that much of a difference. taxes?
I don't see that much difference either, using your .87 Canadian= 1.00 USD, you would have to take a US price and multiply it by 115% (approx) to get an equivalent, so a $30,000 US Camaro would translate to $34,500 Canadian. I think what people have posted here over the years is that it is not based on the exchange rate, but an arbitrary price increase in Canada compared to the US that makes automobiles more expensive there.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #523
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
I don't see that much difference either, using your .87 Canadian= 1.00 USD, you would have to take a US price and multiply it by 115% (approx) to get an equivalent, so a $30,000 US Camaro would translate to $34,500 Canadian. I think what people have posted here over the years is that it is not based on the exchange rate, but an arbitrary price increase in Canada compared to the US that makes automobiles more expensive there.
Clyde
that could be a lot of hidden fee's by the government up there to. but only canadians can tell us. . .

now back on topic.

if a speculated Z28 costs 40k here what would it cost there? 60k?
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #524
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The Canadian economy and pricing structure is set up for an exchange rate of about 0.75 USD to 1.00 CAD. Thats fine when the echange rate varried from 0.70-0.80 but now that our dollars are roughly equal, everything seems to be more expensive here. And Canadians cannot buy a new car in the US. We can buy used no problem.

The main reason why things can't really change much is because it would lead to massive deflation which is very undesirable in an economy.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #525
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The Canadian economy and pricing structure is set up for an exchange rate of about 0.75 USD to 1.00 CAD. Thats fine when the echange rate varried from 0.70-0.80 but now that our dollars are roughly equal, everything seems to be more expensive here. And Canadians cannot buy a new car in the US. We can buy used no problem.

The main reason why things can't really change much is because it would lead to massive deflation which is very undesirable in an economy.
WTF? That stinks; I'm sorry guys and gals.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #526
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
WTF? That stinks; I'm sorry guys and gals.
Yup. And there's taxes too. Lots of taxes. If you think cars are expensive, don't even think about buying beer or cigarettes. Hmm,

thread topic:
THE Z28

My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 08-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #527
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
Can't we just make canada a state and be done with all the foolishness???

J/K
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:25 PM   #528
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

Drives: '92 Pathfinder A.K.A The BEAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matster View Post
I'm sure this has been pointed out before but if so I'll throw it in again as my 2 cents worth.

Here is the problem as I see it and this is based on a Canadian perspective and pricing.

A Cobra GT 500 pretty much load up runs anywhere from 65K - 75K CAD. Logic would say that for the same hp in the Camaro (Z28) the price range is most likely going to be close. So then the question the consumer has gotta be ask his/herself is do I buy a Z28 or an entry level Vette? From GM's side of things I'm sure that a Camaro and a Vette in the same price range is gonna cause some infighting.

So let say for arguement sake the Z28 gets the green light, how many of you are willing to pay 60K USD?
Yes there are those of US that would jump on it with both feet, but we are the minority. Don't misunderstand me, I want a Z28 with 550hp and am willing(within reason) to pay the price but right now GM has to be looking at the bottom line and what they can and can't sell in mass numbers. If they had labelled the SS the Z28 instead, would we even be having this conversation?

Honestly When the Legend returns I see it going for a max of the low 50ks if not just that and thats only logical. Just think about It and then reply.

AUGUST 2009 AURORA HITSS THE SSTREETSS!!!!!

~MY SSCHEME: BLACK W/GOLD BUMPER 2 BUMPER Z-28 SSTRIPESS.~
^In the wise words of Pink, "NO NOT MUSTANG GOLD"

Forget a automatic, a MUSCLE car needs STICK! To bad I'm getting auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lonely Island
IM RIDIN ON A DOLPHIN DOIN FLIPS N' SHIT!!!!

May The Beast Rest In Peace. For Now.
The_Beast_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #529
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickys S/C Z28 View Post
info on if there is going to be a Z28 car??
Ricky
The best info we have is GM's response to that question: We don't talk about future products

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 08-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #530
Other Side

Drives: 2000 Camaro Z28
I have been holding out on my Z28 rant for a long time...
Haven't read through all 25 pages to see if it's been said.

For everyone comparing the Z28 to a GT500. I think it needs to be said. The GT500 was not available at the beginning of the new generation. The high performance (not saying the SS isn't) version of cars will, very often, not come out for a year or two after the basic models do. This was also the case with the M3. Typically, things like this just take time.

And I also think the price issue needs to be mentioned. If it should come out, I wouldn't say that it would be priced near the GT500. You need to realize, when the GT500s get made, it isn't ford that does it. They send it to Shelby out in Las Vegas, and they do the work on it. Think about it, every one of those GT500s comes out of Las Vegas. This shipping process has to cost a pretty penny, not to mention, Shelby is gonna want to make some money out of it too. All of this, especially when combined with dealer markups, makes it a very expensive car. The only way that the Z28 will be in that price range is if GM decides to send them out to SLP or something like that. Which for some reason, I doubt will happen when they have a 550 hp engine sitting around.

I would like to mention, I love the Z28. I have one. I was disappointed when I didn't see it on the spec sheet. I have faith it will come though.

May be slightly out of date. My internet has been SOL, so I dont know how much people have been freaking out.
Other Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #531
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

Drives: '92 Pathfinder A.K.A The BEAST
I stand by my post as 100% correct Because I was exactly right when we guessed on all the engine specs a while back.

AUGUST 2009 AURORA HITSS THE SSTREETSS!!!!!

~MY SSCHEME: BLACK W/GOLD BUMPER 2 BUMPER Z-28 SSTRIPESS.~
^In the wise words of Pink, "NO NOT MUSTANG GOLD"

Forget a automatic, a MUSCLE car needs STICK! To bad I'm getting auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lonely Island
IM RIDIN ON A DOLPHIN DOIN FLIPS N' SHIT!!!!

May The Beast Rest In Peace. For Now.
The_Beast_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #532
Captainbob

Drives: 69 Z28, 71 vette,01 ZO6,GT500
correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Side View Post
I have been holding out on my Z28 rant for a long time...
Haven't read through all 25 pages to see if it's been said.

For everyone comparing the Z28 to a GT500. I think it needs to be said. The GT500 was not available at the beginning of the new generation. The high performance (not saying the SS isn't) version of cars will, very often, not come out for a year or two after the basic models do. This was also the case with the M3. Typically, things like this just take time.

And I also think the price issue needs to be mentioned. If it should come out, I wouldn't say that it would be priced near the GT500. You need to realize, when the GT500s get made, it isn't ford that does it. They send it to Shelby out in Las Vegas, and they do the work on it. Think about it, every one of those GT500s comes out of Las Vegas. This shipping process has to cost a pretty penny, not to mention, Shelby is gonna want to make some money out of it too. All of this, especially when combined with dealer markups, makes it a very expensive car. The only way that the Z28 will be in that price range is if GM decides to send them out to SLP or something like that. Which for some reason, I doubt will happen when they have a 550 hp engine sitting around.

I would like to mention, I love the Z28. I have one. I was disappointed when I didn't see it on the spec sheet. I have faith it will come though.

May be slightly out of date. My internet has been SOL, so I dont know how much people have been freaking out.
Actually sir the GT500's never make it to Mr Shelby's vegas plant unless they are upgraded to a Supersnake, Or various other options. The GT500's come straight from the SVT plant.. However, the Shelby GT's, and Shelby GT-h are shipped to vegas for upgrades.. I've visited the vegas shop numerious times. Even had Mr Shelby autograph my car.. Just wanted to clarify your statement.. As you said sending the Camaro out is not probable with all those LS3 550's layin around for Caddi's ..
Hoping GM will do the right thing. Super charge the new SS.. So it will compete with the big dogs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnevMoEut_E vs. ZO6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2l25Q5AHc4 10.97 run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vML-dKHCcLg dyno vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLtQEdfN-CA hole shot

Last edited by Captainbob; 08-09-2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: typo
Captainbob is offline   Reply With Quote