Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-31-2009, 02:50 AM   #85
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 383ss View Post
now why would you want to do this when you can spend $1500 on a borla and get the same performance? LOL
Cause some of us are broke a$$ and even $1500 is something we don't have at one time?
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:33 AM   #86
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
Geez, I already have 650 miles on him, Have changed the oil once at 350 miles and kept it under 4000 rpm for the first 450 miles. I have driven him at different speeds and now its time to let it settle in to the life it is going to know and live. lol I am so glad I dont live in a high density residential area. Plenty of room for the horses to play!
Sounds like you are good to go. I also live out in God's country - just have to watch out for the odd farm tractor.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:23 AM   #87
dougmac

Drives: 2011 V6 MCA & 1969 GT Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj View Post
Do you have proof of this, or is it just a guess? I have trouble believing that mufflers are a part of a structural crumple zone. That would mean if you changed to any aftermarket muffler you would change the effect of the zone. But being how it’s not a fixed part of the body it doesn’t seem plausible.
I read it somewhere back when the '05 Mustang came out (1st Mustang with gas tank & muffler locations swapped).

Also looking at the pics of that guys 2010 Camaro that got rear-ended a while back, the mufflers stayed with the body and were smooshed pretty good ... I'd guess they "helped" in slowing down the impact, if only just a little.

'94-04 Mustangs had curved blocks of plastic behind the wheels in the wheel-wells that appeared to have no purpose. Since car companies do not waste money on parts that serve no purpose, I figured they must help in keeping the rear qtr. sheet metal from popping the tires in a rear end collision ... still inflated tires would help in absorbing an impact much better than deflated ones.

You don't think that every part in the outer perimiter of a car today is designed to aid in reducing the severity of a crash ?? A good (but maybe bulky & ugly) muffler design anong with a couple of other component design tweeks could just be the difference between a 4 & 5 Star crash rating.

Doug
dougmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #88
2500hd

Drives: 1966 SS396 Chevelle
Honestly, this sounds as good, if not better than all the other sounds clips I've heard. Only exception is the cars with the cam modifications.
2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:17 AM   #89
DON GIOVANNI

Drives: BLACK/BLACK 2SS RS GFX
How intense do you think straight pipes like that would be after I put on my ARH headers
DON GIOVANNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:08 PM   #90
VictoryRed08

Drives: 08 Cobalt LT2,
Sounds good my friend.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:00 PM   #91
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRed08 View Post
Sounds good my friend.
I have to share this with you guys and I know "no pic or video it did not happen" but I went out to the track just east of where I live. Its a brand new 2 1/2 mile road course. There were a few folks out there playing around. A porche, an infinity, a cooper and a lexus. Only four on track so they were pretty well spaced. As I drove in it was surreal. Folks had not seen a Camaro in person and of course everyone wanted to take it for a drive...not! I did not have plans to drive today cause I am still breaking the motor in but I got talked into taking a few laps. Oh my god. My friend was telling me how great it sounded afterwards and he said everyone was just freaking out. You could hear it coming up from behind on the frontstretch and coming out of the corners is was screaming. As you would decelerate the crackle really sounded hot as well. When you hit 5000 rpms and are accelerating hard it was awesome. Handleing was so tight and fun. Yes sir this is the greatest car made today hands down. Appeal, mod ability, straight or road. Cant wait to hear how guys do on autocross. not my cup of tea but time will see how it does there as well.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:03 PM   #92
blackedout010

Drives: on order black 2010 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hd View Post
Honestly, this sounds as good, if not better than all the other sounds clips I've heard. Only exception is the cars with the cam modifications.
sound clips can be deciving my friend. id have to hear it in person
blackedout010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:04 PM   #93
NickPic

Drives: 2006 GMC Sierra 1500HD
i would like to see some dyno #'s with this setup
06 gmc sierra 1500HD: w/ 6.0, K&N CAI, air raid TBS, pacesetter ceramic coated LT headers, magnaflow X-pipe, SLP loudmouth I resonators, gibson 4' tips, blackbear custom tune, 20 inch rims, bfg 33" tires, 2-10" mtx subs, 2000 watt audiobahn amp, 10 farad tsunami cap, HID's, air horns etc......

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3103872

slp tuned diablo programmer for sale. pm me for info.

06 pontiac G6 GT: bone stock except hid's
NickPic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:09 PM   #94
rdono
Cavallino

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IMO-IMO
how is the cabin sound??????
rdono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:57 PM   #95
2010 SS RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdono View Post
how is the cabin sound??????
As I said before there is not all that much different sound inside the cabin unless you are really getting on it. On the drive east (about 36 miles on interstate at 80 MPH sixth gear at 1950 rpm) we held a normal conversation, I took a call on bluetooth without any difference than stock. If you throw it down into 4th with rpms at 3500 it is a little louder but you could still have a normal conversation. At the track when you are wrapping it up accelerating out of corners or full throttle acceleration down the backstretch you would have to raise your voice and face the person you are talking to to get every word. Video was taken with a regular Sony digital camcorder with no additional microphones if that means anything. Its raining so I am not taking him out tonight but I willl get some interior driving shots and post them up for you guys as soon as possible.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts

Last edited by 2010 SS RS; 05-31-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:08 PM   #96
2010 SS RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickPic View Post
i would like to see some dyno #'s with this setup
Without opening up the intake putting it on a dyno would be pointless. Consider this mod for the sound benefit only at this point because even with the intake if the increase of any exhaust mod is not all that great. But I would still suggest you will get 1 HP per $50 invested in this exhaust and an GMPP intake or aftermarket intake. This is just one component of any overall mod for HP gains. In my opinion, and only my opinion, Exhaust wide open, then add Air Intake followed by LT and high performance cats and throw a new crank in with a royal purple fluid change then throw it on a dyno. I really think that these mods will get the most out of the ls3 and get the biggest bank for the buck. To take it to the next step you are really going to be investing some large sums of money for a good SC. Kenny Bell are you out there? Does anyone know what this rear end will take before it would have to be modified?
Old 05-31-2009, 09:22 PM   #97
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Sounds awesome and a very budget concious way off increasing sound and hp!
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:06 PM   #98
Gotthat02fire

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight_23 View Post
Will it pass smog?
In CA you have the hardest of smog rules I would let them alone if I were you!!!!!!
Gotthat02fire is offline   Reply With Quote