Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
KSX

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Cleaning/Polishing the engine?

Hey looking for some tips on cleaning the engine, any good thoughts? Lot's of dust and nasty stuff :P
Old 04-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
mulletman

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Buy a gallon of Simple Green at Home Depot. Fill a plastic spray bottle with the Simple Green. Go to a car wash that has the spot free rinse. Don't use the full power setting. Spray the spot free rinse in the engine compartment for a couple minutes. Spray the Simple Green full strength on the engine and inner fenders. Don't get the Simple Green on the paint. Rinse off the Simple Green on the spot free setting. Drive the car until all the water is gone.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
Buy a gallon of Simple Green at Home Depot. Fill a plastic spray bottle with the Simple Green. Go to a car wash that has the spot free rinse. Don't use the full power setting. Spray the spot free rinse in the engine compartment for a couple minutes. Spray the Simple Green full strength on the engine and inner fenders. Don't get the Simple Green on the paint. Rinse off the Simple Green on the spot free setting. Drive the car until all the water is gone.
I would advise against doing that. It's not that it doesn't work, but that method isn't meant for people not sure about what they are doing.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
I would advise against doing that. It's not that it doesn't work, but that method isn't meant for people not sure about what they are doing.

You'll really need to be familiar with what areas of your engine bay need protecting before introducing chemicals and water to rinse those chemicals off the engine bay. (Alternator, battery terminals, etc,)

Plastic grocery bags come in handy for those areas and where appropriate, double bag.

Even after all these are covered you should still take care with how much product and water you use and where you spay. A little goes a long way and use a boars hair brush to agitate the cleaner

Hope this helps
Old 05-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
THIS x 10

I am far from a pro but this method works and I have never had any issue after the fact.... no check engine lights and etc.