Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #127
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Thanks Joe!

It took a lot of focus and I know you put a lot of initiative into it. But the response is well worth it! It was/is a fun informative read with great pictures backing it all up! I bet that experience gave you the chance to not only experience your dream in real time, but provided you the platform to let out all those pent up emotions! Made you want to light up a cigarette eh?

I thought, before this, that the best write up to date was the Joel Johnson review on jalopnik, but you have the official crown!

You could copyright that review and sell it! I think you'd make some good bucks! Check with Tran!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #128
c4maroboy
[HOONIGAN]

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1848[The HOONIGAN MOBILE]
Perma Grin<ULTRA GRIN
c4maroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #129
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
What possibly could be next???
Transplant the ZL1 technology, updated of course because the Camaro TEAM never stops, to an ATS based 6th Gen that weighs 3,400 pounds. For the fans of the Camaro that means a lot of 5th Gens, including ZL1s, will be available. So we get to enjoy a magnificent ZL1 today and start dreaming about the 6th Gen ZL1 not too far down the road
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #130
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
I'll second it --

..........just as soon as I send one of these:

after ShnOmac..............

GM can shut me up.... they just have to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I saw what you did there
What????

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #131
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Great write up and pictures! The stance is perfect, it looks ready to pounce. I did however notice a lot of the pics were of the silver Camaro???

Last edited by 2cnd chance; 03-01-2012 at 10:41 PM.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #132
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I did however notice a lot of the pics were of the silver Camaro???
Hmmmm I wonder why that could be????

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #133
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Having spent time with both the auto and stick, which would you prefer?
Old 03-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #134
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Kudo's to you Joe

Thank You... for such a well expressed,
enthusiast view of the ZL1 at
the Virginia International Raceway.

Your thoughtful wording allowed the opportunity
to feel as though, I was actually there too.
The major feeling that was felt throughout your
article was the Passion.

The Passion from the Chevy Team;
the extraordinary work that was performed
in the design, R&D, and production of the ZL1.

And just as important, the Passion...
that will be experienced, when driving this wonderful ZL1.

Marvelous article, wonderful pictures!

Kudo's to you Joe
Enjoy the Experience!

Becky
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #135
OVERPAR73
2018 Garnet Red ZL1 conve

Drives: 2013 & 2018 ZL1 vert
I'll beat that you will have that permeant smile for a long time!!

Fantastic writeup with exceptional detail, I can't wait to order my vert!!!!!
OVERPAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #136
avcbm

Drives: Camaro ZL1
I've never driven a race course, but after reading your review makes me want too... what I find amazing is the fact that if it can behave that well on a track, riding around everday streets in a 580 HP car will seem just the normal (well you know what I mean)... kind of like a seep in wolf's clothing.....

2012 Camaro ZL1
2010 Camaro SS (Sold)
avcbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #137
IBMCamaro

Drives: 2010 2LT RS IBM Camaro
WOW.... great writeup and the pics are awesome. Thank you GM for coming out with the 5th gen.
IBMCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #138
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Well composed article and pics! Way to go guys and ladies!

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #139
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDew View Post
Man, that’s the best write up yet! It made me feel as if I were right there with you.
You addressed every single little detail that I could possibly think of asking... Thank you so much for sharing! Much appreciated!

However I have a few “easy” questions for you:
- did they have any news in regards to the QC hold or how close to the finish line they are with their CTF cars?
- How did you feel about the Malibu ride back to the airport after driving ZL1s for a couple days?
- Is the ZL1 in the pic below Ashen Grey or black? It looks almost black but I guess it could be because of the overcast… i have an ashen waiting to be shipped. (#165)

Thank you so much!!

-No news on the QC - they seem to be getting further along in the process and things are moving along nicely. But no dates or anything like that.

-The new Malibu is Awesome! The interior is wonderfully plush, the outside looks very "Lexus". Eco mode was imperceptible, and Chevy MyLink was very intuitive. Overall a wonderful car - I'd buy one in a heartbeat!

-ZL1 in that picture was black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Wow.

Joe, great job.

I'll bet you are pretty good at writing things but something tells me that article (write-up fine but it's better than most articles) was so good for a reason. Truly fun reading. So well written it had me and my car feeling rather insignificant. I'm looking out at the driveway thinking, "Damn, I want a ZL1". hahaha

Remember that line in Top Gun where Meg Ryans character said "He loved flying with you Mav. He'd have done it anyway though. He'd have hated it, but he'd have done it"???

So tell me, could you do an equally good write-up for a Cobalt?

You seeing the Silver and Black was awesome. Totally jazzed for you. What a great opportunity.

Oh, and this has me thinking tranny swap.
Thanks Randy!

Your car is brilliant - don't be thinking like that!

Could I do the same for the Cobalt? Ummm...love the little thing....but no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick06 View Post
what an Awesome experience Dragoneye

BTW: You could moonlight as Journalist for a magazine no doubt...good writeup bro
Heh! Not so sure about that -- but thanks so much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Henry Racing View Post
Nice job Joe. I know you were doubting yourself prior to going, but you did a better job with this than most of the "pro's" that were there.
Thank you, Tom! I'm glad to hear you feel that way.

To be fair...I couldn't have written that if the car didn't impact me like it did. I'm SO glad I waited for this.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #140
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo9043 View Post
I got chills reading this. I really wish I could get myself into a ZL1 but the SS was almost pushing the budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Absolutely phenomenal work! Really enjoyed reading this and the thorough photo shoot. Great job Joe.
Thank you!! I'm glad you liked it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFrez View Post
That was a great writeup Joe! The entire media event was an awesome experience to be a part of. I can't wait to receive my car even more than before!

It was great to meet and hang out with you on the trip. We most definitely have to do it again!

Chris - it was a pleasure, sir!! It was exciting to be able to share this event with you. I agree - I can't wait for the car even more after this!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BU_Gingerneer View Post
Barn = Ultimate Man Cave
HECK, YES!!

Couches, a bar, and a flat-screen TV surrounded by a quarter-million dollars worth of ZL1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
gotta love those other renderings...I wonder if there will be changes using the renderings as ideas or was it used to make the current ZL1?
Those were sketches used to develop the ZL1. I'm sure there's dozens of more where those came from!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Joe, I gave you a hard time for not posting sooner, primarily because I was incredibly jealous of your wonderful opportunity to drive the ZL1 and at a world renowned race track to boot. So please forgive my impatience. And Jealousy.

I have read a lot of articles about cars in my many years and yours ranks among the best. The more that a writer can take a reader and put them in the middle of the story, the better the story and the writer. You did just that. You put everyone of us in the car with you. We felt what you felt through your words. We felt the rumble of the exhaust note beneath us and the exhilaration of the G forces through the turns. We have all been chomping at the bit to receive our ZL1's and living vicariously through your experiences with the Z are calming. But my pride of owning this car was not quelled at all.

Your pictures were great as well and yes I stole a bunch of them for my iPhoto ZL1 Collection. Very well written and worth the wait, but I am still jealous.

A few questions:
What are your feelings about the suede steering wheel and shifter?

Having spent time with both the auto and stick, which would you prefer?

How easy or hard will it be to remove the belly pan to change the oil?

What changes would you make in the ZL1 if you could?

Can I take your place the next time the opportunity arises?

Thanks again for everything that you do for Camaro5, but I am still jealous.
OldJedi, Thank you SO much. I wanted to do my best to help you all feel what I felt while we were there. I'm glad to hear it's coming through in my writing.

I'd love to answer your questions:

1) Suede: It is WONDERFUL. To be honest, I drove both a suede and leather car during the weekend - and if the option wasn't available, I wouldn't miss it. The leather looks and feels very nice on the shifter and wheel. But the suede grips MORE. I'm glad I checked the option - it also gives the inside of the car a noticeable "richness" to it.

2) Transmission: I'd prefer the manual. I really enjoyed the automatic - I mean, I really, REALLY enjoyed it. The crisp shifting, the responsive paddles...and the linear power...It feels like a 580hp video game. But the manual connects you more - and shifting really was enjoyable with the new short-throw & twin-disc clutch.

3) Oil change: You would only need to remove the rearward belly pan. It appears to be attached with 7 screws. At the worst, it'll be a clumsy extra step during an on-ground oil change. But on a lift, it'd be a breeze, imo.

4) Changes: The ONLY thing I'd change from the factory is the temperature of the fog lights so the match the headlights. I love the presence of this car...and the performance -- well....

5)