Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-29-2014, 07:43 AM   #155
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBandit911 View Post
Ok, but the thing is. I, IMHO feel like the 1LE is the better deal. For $42k I got a car that can actually turn...sure if all you care about is advertised HP #'s then the way to go would be a new GT500 or in the 1LE price range a 392 core. But some of us like turning
I'm happy you have a better turning car, but the 392 owner could say he has a car which is better in 0-60, street light to street light, 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, roll race, top end, and it looks better
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:37 AM   #156
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I don't know about anyone else, but when I get to the grocery store .020 seconds faster than the other car or pull a tenth of a more G's into my parking spot, I feel like I've accomplished something! I'm not happy unless my eggs are smashed to the inside of my trunk on the way home... TAKE THAT, MOPAR!!!

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #157
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
I'm happy you have a better turning car, but the 392 owner could say he has a car which is better in 0-60, street light to street light, 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, roll race, top end, and it looks better
Looks better? That's objective, I don't think it looks better.

Everything listed above doesn't really matter on the street. People shouldn't be racing on the street to begin with.

I don't have a huge problem with the challenger, don't think I'm just hating on it, i went and took the time to give it a fair chance when i was looking for a car, I actually kinda like it. But for my intended purpose, the 1LE works better and IMHO is the better over all car. I also think many here will agree that its the best bang for the buck around

The biggest thing that turned me off from the challenger was I don't like dodge build quality. But that's just personal opinion from my experiences, your results may vary

Mustangs on the other hand, i liked the Boss, but when the 1LE dropped, game over, ford makes nothing for me at this point
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:10 AM   #158
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
But some of us like turning
← ← ← Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
I actually bought my GT with cornering and handling specifically in mind. At that time it was head and shoulders above the Challenger in that department and more than held its own against the Camaro up until the ZL1's and 1LE's were introduced about four years later. Kind of a side note now that those Camaros have appeared, I'm having to play "catch-up" with the handling at least for a while.

Yes, power and brute straight line acceleration still top most peoples' performance priority lists, with handling coming in somewhere lower - if it's given any consideration at all. Cars are easier to understand when you think about them like that.

But not everybody sees it that way, and I've probably held a cornering/handling > straight line stuff attitude all my life. Longer than the 50 years I've had a driver's license, that much is for sure.

I do agree that the Challenger's styling has been the most truthful to its original (I really would have bought a brand-new 6-pack equipped 'Cuda back in the day had the sales guy been willing to order or do a dealer trade for a similar car with a manual transmission; he wasn't so I walked).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-29-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:18 AM   #159
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

I used to be a big time drag racing guy. And while it takes a different type of know how to be successful at that, I've grown to love the engineering and set up aspect of suspension, etc in relation to road racing/autox
Old 04-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #160
87GNX

Drives: Alot
the next mustang will probably outhandle a 1le and it will be faster, hoping the 6th gen camaros lose some weight THEN i'll be interested as im NOT with this new mustang.
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #161
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
← ← ← Indeed.

I actually bought my GT with cornering and handling specifically in mind. At that time it was head and shoulders above the Challenger in that department and more than held its own against the Camaro up until the ZL1's and 1LE's were introduced about four years later. Kind of a side note now that those Camaros have appeared, I'm having to play "catch-up" with the handling at least for a while.

Yes, power and brute straight line acceleration still top most peoples' performance priority lists, with handling coming in somewhere lower - if it's given any consideration at all. Cars are easier to understand when you think about them like that.

But not everybody sees it that way, and I've probably held a cornering/handling > straight line stuff attitude all my life. Longer than the 50 years I've had a driver's license, that much is for sure.

I do agree that the Challenger's styling has been the most truthful to its original (I really would have bought a brand-new 6-pack equipped 'Cuda back in the day had the sales guy been willing to order or do a dealer trade for a similar car with a manual transmission; he wasn't so I walked).

Norm
I guess I am old school here, grew up with drag racing on the street and strip, in all my years of owning fast autos I never once had anyone ask me if I wanted to race around corners . This being said I do appreciate a car that can do it all like the ZL1 which excels at everything, including what is most important to me, unfortunately it's out of my price range. Bottom line is give me the brutal straight line acceleration first, if you can make it handle well that's a plus
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #162
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87GNX View Post
the next mustang will probably outhandle a 1le and it will be faster, hoping the 6th gen camaros lose some weight THEN i'll be interested as im NOT with this new mustang.
So you think a 2015 Mustang GT will handle like a ZL1? Cause a ZL1 handles just a tick better than a 1LE. I think you're being a little over confident in ford. A new Boss or GT500 maybe, but not a regular GT. I just don't see it happening...I don't think ford can do it for the price point of the 1LE either...
Old 04-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #163
87GNX

Drives: Alot
Quote:
So you think a 2015 Mustang GT will handle like a ZL1? Cause a ZL1 handles just a tick better than a 1LE. I think you're being a little over confident in ford. A new Boss or GT500 maybe, but not a regular GT. I just don't see it happening...I don't think ford can do it for the price point of the 1LE either...
Yeah I do think it will vs the 1le, Ford will lighten the car and will finally have IRS plus more hp. Money wise no one knows yet. If it wasnt so ugly to me, I would be interested.
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #164
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
You might want to hedge your bet with some mention of road conditions. The 1LE inherently has less understeer, but likely isn't quite as composed over the rougher stuff or FIA curbing. There is enough scatter in R&T's numbers for blanket statements to be a bit risky.

The upcoming Mustang GT is targeted to be better than the S197 Boss, with a (rumored?) GT350 version being a good bit better still. That may assume some up-level wheel and tire package, as that's not gonna happen on 235/50-XX base-level tires.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #165
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
ZL1 handles alittle more than just a tick better than a 1LE.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #166
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
ZL1 handles alittle more than just a tick better than a 1LE.
It is not crazy faster tho. That's my point. People seem to act like it's gonna blow away a 1LE in stock form, just a regular GT Mustang....I really don't think a regular production GT will do that, for many reasons. One being cost, two being why the hell would ford build a car like that? The way ford is, they will save everything they have for a model in the price range of a ZL1 or Stingray.

Everyone is all giddy about this Mustang having IRS, its not the first time you could get one with IRS, and ford didn't get it to work very well.

Does anyone have hard data on weight on the '15 Mustang? I honestly don't know. Also, what are the overall dimensions of the '15 compared to the '14?

I see some improvements coming with the '15, but not leaps and bounds like people seem to think.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:14 PM   #167
DocMartens

Drives: '14 1SS/RS LS3
Mustangs no, you see them everywhere. I had a 2013 charger super bee (black) that got all kinds of looks. I like MOPARs and camaros
Old 04-29-2014, 07:35 PM   #168
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint View Post
I personally think all 3 are beautiful cars

This^^^^^

End of story!!!

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote