Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
Bumble Bee '77
AutoBot Scout

Drives: 2002 ZRS Camaro
Bumble Bee

What color is Bumble Bee exactly? I know it's kind of a Golden Yellow but does it have a color name?
Bumble Bee '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Search the site, I'm thinking you'll find a ton of conversation on this one....

beware...

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Mouse View Post
HOKs Pearl Base Coats are very nice and easy to spray and touch up. I'ver never sprayed sunrise but I have sprayed sunset. Beautiful colors right out of the can.

I think GM has really dropped the ball with color choices.
GM not offering the actual color of Bumblebee has been discussed to death over and over.

It is a $10k paintjob and would be ridiculously cost-prohibitive to be offered stock.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
^ I think its more than that try 20K paint job.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatter99 View Post
GM not offering the actual color of Bumblebee has been discussed to death over and over.

It is a $10k paintjob and would be ridiculously cost-prohibitive to be offered stock.
I once calculated the cost based on my local paint shop costs and its around $14k if I remember right.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
$10k was just the rough estimate we were given a long while ago...I don't know the exact number.

Clearly the point is that it would be impossible to offer the paint from the factory.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
TainoWarrior316

Drives: 2000 Silverado 4.8 V8
bumble bee paint job, do it now just do it. "that would be a total of 10,242 + tax" WTF! um nevermind
Old 11-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
fastfret7

Drives: 2003 Ford Focus SVT EAP
Why is this paint job so much? The color just looks like a yellow/gold pearl..

In my garage:
2003 Ford Focus SVT EAP in Infa-red 1 of 101
1970 EL Camino 454 SS w/ 4 speed muncie Red w/ Blk stripes
2010 2SS/RS Camaro w/hurst 6 spd in black on black w/red rally stripes

fastfret7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
DustinK

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I believe the numbers that have been thrown around regarding the price are so high due to the painting process more so than the product itself. IIRC from what I read in a previous thread the color requires a 3 stage process with 2 different colors including one around the previously mentioned $65/qt. price and another closer to $100/qt. but apparently with the number of coats and the dry times the entire process takes a week or 2 to complete.

Trying to pull this information from memory so it is more than likely not 100% accurate but the basic reasons were number of coats required and the accompanied number of man-hours required to do so.
DustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkikuchi View Post
I believe the numbers that have been thrown around regarding the price are so high due to the painting process more so than the product itself. IIRC from what I read in a previous thread the color requires a 3 stage process with 2 different colors including one around the previously mentioned $65/qt. price and another closer to $100/qt. but apparently with the number of coats and the dry times the entire process takes a week or 2 to complete.

Trying to pull this information from memory so it is more than likely not 100% accurate but the basic reasons were number of coats required and the accompanied number of man-hours required to do so.
Aye. That specific paint scheme requires a 3 phase process with 2 coats of white primer/sealer, 3 coats of color, and 2 coats of clear. The paint Shimrin recommends costs $37 per quart for primer/sealer, the color is $80 per quart, and the clear is $40 a quart.

The minimum time required according to Shimrin is 4-6 weeks. The total for paint alone is about $1,500 but the rest is man hours and other supplies.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
Foster26

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM 6SP CGRS #9761
Why would you "have" to have the exact yellow that's on the bumble bee? Don't you think you will get the same attention from the rally yellow with stripes as you would if you got the exact same high dollar paint?

kid says as your car passes by, "Look Dad, there's the bumble bee! Awesome!!"

dad replies, "well son, that actually is not the right paint. The bumble bee car is a $20K sunrise pearl where the car you just saw is just a plain rally yellow. Sorry to disappoint but that is not Bublebee."
Foster26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #12
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster26 View Post
Why would you "have" to have the exact yellow that's on the bumble bee? Don't you think you will get the same attention from the rally yellow with stripes as you would if you got the exact same high dollar paint?

dad replies, "well son, that actually is not the right paint. The bumble bee car is a $20K sunrise pearl where the car you just saw is just a plain rally yellow. Sorry to disappoint but that is not Bublebee."
That's what I was thinking.

warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #13
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster26 View Post

No offense but even my almost 5-year old son told me not to get the Rally Yellow because it wasn't the same color as Bumblebee (which he got to see one of the movie cars in person at a local dealership). So, yes, kids can tell the difference. Maybe mine is more into cars than most but I digress...

Rally yellow is not metallic nor is it orange/gold tinted like Sunrise. I was actually trying to figure out the other day if it was possible to put a gold/orange tinted pearl'ish clear coat on Rally Yellow to tone it down so it was closer to Sunrise but decided it would look like crap without the metallic base.

rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #14
King Mouse

Drives: EXT
Sunrise does not have a metalic base. It is gold pearl mixed into a basecoat. It is all in one can.

And yes you can spray pearl in clear over top of any color. You won't know what it will look like until you spray a test panel. If you were going to go through all of that, you would be better of sealing it out with white sealer and starting over with the color you really want.

Here is gold pearl in the first clear coat over red.

[IMG]http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo26/kingmousecustoms/DS****24.jpg[/IMG]

Its fun coming up with your own colors but it can get very expensive. Most of the time you can find a premixed color that looks great. And the fact that it isn't a stock GM color will still make it very special.

Check out the House of Color base pearls. They are very nice.
King Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote