Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
cflbuckeye

Drives: 2012 Convertible Camaro 2SS w/RS
Water leak in footwell...AGAIN...

I have had my 2012 2SS/RS convertible back for a little over two weeks, after having it at the dealer for a week and a half for the same issue. Anyways, ever since I have been checking the footwells regularly and today after my car sat in the parking lot at work during a heavy rain, I checked the footwell and there was no water.

However, after getting home (very little rain on the way home), there was water in my passenger rear footwell (pictured below). The only thing I can think of is all the water in the bag sloshed around (I could hear it) and that water drained into the cabin. The weird part is that if you look closely, you can see water marks on the bottom door jam molding...as if the water came in under the door. If that's the case, it can't be the bag...can it?

Needless to say I need to take it back to the dealer, but wanted some input from you guys. This go around I am asking for the full treatment (replace carpet) and I hope they can get it fixed this go around. I think they focused on the wrong area the first time around, because now when I wash my car, I get a leak at the top of the glass that I didn't have before I took it in the first time. They said there was a weather stripping and sealant TSB that needed to be done to correct the issue. If the leak was coming from the glass, I would expect to see a trail of water down the glass and dook skin (which I saw when I washed my card, but not after this rainfall).

Needless to say with these leaks and on my 3rd dash replacement (for bubbling), I am starting to lose faith in wanting to keep my camaro past the warranty period.
Attached Images

cflbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
cflbuckeye

As a side note, how do you open a formal complaint with GM on a car that seems to have mounting issues the longer I own it?
Old 07-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
It could be one of the tubes came loose from the bag. Also, the seam on the bottom could be bad. If you want to file a complaint, I would use the BBB. Here is the link
http://www.bbb.org/us/auto-line-lemon-law/
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by cflbuckeye View Post
I have had my 2012 2SS/RS convertible back for a little over two weeks, after having it at the dealer for a week and a half for the same issue. Anyways, ever since I have been checking the footwells regularly and today after my car sat in the parking lot at work during a heavy rain, I checked the footwell and there was no water.

However, after getting home (very little rain on the way home), there was water in my passenger rear footwell (pictured below). The only thing I can think of is all the water in the bag sloshed around (I could hear it) and that water drained into the cabin. The weird part is that if you look closely, you can see water marks on the bottom door jam molding...as if the water came in under the door. If that's the case, it can't be the bag...can it?

Needless to say I need to take it back to the dealer, but wanted some input from you guys. This go around I am asking for the full treatment (replace carpet) and I hope they can get it fixed this go around. I think they focused on the wrong area the first time around, because now when I wash my car, I get a leak at the top of the glass that I didn't have before I took it in the first time. They said there was a weather stripping and sealant TSB that needed to be done to correct the issue. If the leak was coming from the glass, I would expect to see a trail of water down the glass and dook skin (which I saw when I washed my card, but not after this rainfall).

Needless to say with these leaks and on my 3rd dash replacement (for bubbling), I am starting to lose faith in wanting to keep my camaro past the warranty period.
cflbuckeye,

I'm very sorry for the vehicle issues you have experienced and would like to see what I can do for you. Feel free to message me at your earliest convenience so I can explore these matters to a greater extent.

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Any water bag experts on here?

Is this a likely drain path for a bad water bag?

It's so close to the seat belt mount.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
I had the exact same issue and it turned out to be the door seals. They put new ones in and problem is gone.
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
cflbuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
cflbuckeye,

I'm very sorry for the vehicle issues you have experienced and would like to see what I can do for you. Feel free to message me at your earliest convenience so I can explore these matters to a greater extent.

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
William,

Hello, and thanks for offering to help. Sorry if my frustration is starting to shine through a bit, but I have own several new vehicles and this is the first one that has required so much warranty work that I have concerns about the warranty period expiring and the ongoing out-of-pocket costs that might continue.

Anything you can do to help nail down the root cause of the leaks would be appreciated. Is there anything else I can provide? I haven't contacted the dealer just yet, but I will likely be calling them today to setup a time I can drop it off for them to take another look at it.

Marc
Old 07-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
I was down in the Outer Banks last week and was sitting in my car during a heavy rain with winds driving the water hard against the driver's side. Water was coming in at the top rear corner of the window glass, and some of it ended up right where your pics show it. I, too, just had the top fabric replaced. I'm not sure if there is an adjustment that can be made, but I will find out as soon as I can get my car back to the dealer for some paint work. It never really ends for some of these convertibles...

Last edited by pgustavson; 07-03-2013 at 12:16 PM.
pgustavson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
cflbuckeye

Well, it's definetly coming from under the door. We had more rain today and I went to lunch. Before I pulled out of the parking lot, the footwell was dry. The first stop light I got too, I looked over at the door sill and could see water spilling in over the threshold trim. So it looks like I at least know where the water is coming from, so maybe it is the door seal as previously mentioned by another responder on this thread?

Taking it to the dealer on Sunday to drop it off, see how it goes.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
cflbuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgustavson View Post
I was down in the Outer Banks last week and was sitting in my car during a heavy rain with winds driving the water hard against the driver's side. Water was coming in at the top rear corner of the window glass, and some of it ended up right where your pics show it. I, too, just had the top fabric replaced. I'm not sure if there is an adjustment that can be made, but I will find out as soon as I can get my car back to the dealer for some paint work. It never really ends for some of these convertibles...
Now that it seems the leak is for sure coming from undre the door, I am wondering if my dealer didn't create a new leak when they replaced the weatherstripping around the glass when they tried to fix my leak the first time. I never used to have a leak at the top of the glass prior to the visit.

I hope it can be something adjusted, as I plan on having them revisit their previous work to fix that leak too.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
William,

Hello, and thanks for offering to help. Sorry if my frustration is starting to shine through a bit, but I have own several new vehicles and this is the first one that has required so much warranty work that I have concerns about the warranty period expiring and the ongoing out-of-pocket costs that might continue.

Anything you can do to help nail down the root cause of the leaks would be appreciated. Is there anything else I can provide? I haven't contacted the dealer just yet, but I will likely be calling them today to setup a time I can drop it off for them to take another look at it.

Marc
Greetings Marc,

No problem for the assistance. I certainly understand your frustration and will definitely see what I can do for you. Thanks for your PM. I will be responding shortly!

Thanks,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Quote:
Well, it's definetly coming from under the door. We had more rain today and I went to lunch. Before I pulled out of the parking lot, the footwell was dry. The first stop light I got too, I looked over at the door sill and could see water spilling in over the threshold trim. So it looks like I at least know where the water is coming from, so maybe it is the door seal as previously mentioned by another responder on this thread?

Taking it to the dealer on Sunday to drop it off, see how it goes.
That is exactly what it is. Easy fix. Good luck man!!
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
cflbuckeye

Well dropped if off yesterday and their leak guy looked at it today, and diagnosed that the vapor barrier in the passnger door needed to be replaced? Apparently the newer material they are using isn't as good as to what they used 4-5 years ago (this is what I am being told) and they are ordering older material to replace it with. When I hear vapor barrier, I think of the plastic visqueen (sure that isn't spelled right) that is sometimes in doors. Anyways, does this sound right to anyone else?
Old 07-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Can you elaborate on vapor barrier? There is just a set of bulb seals like on any other car as far as I know.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote