Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
DemonZL1

Drives: like a granny
lower priced coilovers VS 1LE suspenison

I'm trying to decide what to do. i want a better stance and unsure if i want the 1" drop, 1.3" drop or the 1.6" drop .... I bought some hotchkis springs and felt they would compliment the 1LE suspension nicely but now i'm wondering if i'd be better off with a set of Megan or BC coilovers. I'm mainly after the ability to set the ride height to my desired level but i don't want to lose the quality of the 1LE suspension. If i went with BC or Megan coilovers, will i be unhappy with the quality? i see the better coilovers are sitting in the 2500+ range

Anderson composites coupon code : Demon
DemonZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
GbrilliantQ
¡ʇuɐıןןıɹq

Drives: 2011 Camaro IOM 2SS/RS
I can't speak for the 1LE bits, but I love my Megan Racing coilovers. Rides better than stock when you want them and feels like your on rails when you set them.

From my Note
GbrilliantQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
jcamo

Drives: 2ss/rs/2013 camaro 1LE
I too have been looking a the megan coil overs, and wonder the same as you . hope to see some more people chime in on these????
jcamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
Well adjustability from the Coilovers is a big plus right away than stock struts

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
jcamo

Ya i know about ajustabilty on coilovers and all but was looking for what people though about the megan,s vs. the far more highly priced ones. I don,t look to be tracking my car but would like to drop it more than an inch and still have a fare ride without killing the stock struts and shock off at record speed. and wanting to still keep the quailty of the 1le suspention up also(seems it would be an upgrade to me but was wanting to see what others though that have tryed these.)
Old 10-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
jcamo

guess no one uses these hay???
Old 10-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
GbrilliantQ
¡ʇuɐıןןıɹq

Quote:
Originally Posted by GbrilliantQ View Post
I can't speak for the 1LE bits, but I love my Megan Racing coilovers. Rides better than stock when you want them and feels like your on rails when you set them.

From my Note
Hmmmm

Sent from Note
Old 10-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #8
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Hmmmm

Sent from Note
Any pictures of the current stance of your car? I assume you like the coilovers? They were a good investment? Did you go straight to coilovers or did you have springs first

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #9
GbrilliantQ
¡ʇuɐıןןıɹq

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Any pictures of the current stance of your car? I assume you like the coilovers? They were a good investment? Did you go straight to coilovers or did you have springs first
I went straight to them. I had already installed new toe rods, trailing arms and solid subframe bushings. Its hard to explain the difference, but you can tell instantly when you adjust them. I highly recommend them.

Sent from Note
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #10
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
How often do you track the car, do you feel you need the adjust-ability of the damping settings. I kind of feel the car is so dialed in there is no need for coilovers for my use, however you do maintain full suspension of the struts with them compared to springs. Unless I was a hardcore track guy I think it might not be worth it, if you are a hardcore track guy you probably want to go with double adjustable coilovers.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #11
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
+1 for coilovers.

I can't give you feed back from going from 1LE to coilovers but I went from 1" Hotchkis to BC coilovers and they definitely helped. From being able to lower my car more, to a better ride, to better ETs.

I'm going on 2 yrs with BC coilovers without any issues at all. I love the ability to make setting changes in about 2 minutes at the track. I have setting setup for drag racing and a setting setup for Auto-X/Road Course. I'm not a hard core racer of either drag or Auto-X but I definitely take my car out to have fun a few times a year for each type.

Without a doubt I think my BC coilovers make my car ride much better than it did with Hotchkis. Obviously that's with the coilovers set for the street.

I don't really have any pictures of the stock ride height but I know I parked in front of a stock Camaro the other day and my car made the stock one look like a 4x4.

Hotchkis vs about 1.5" drop on BC.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #12
lscamaro

Quote:
I went straight to them. I had already installed new toe rods, trailing arms and solid subframe bushings. Its hard to explain the difference, but you can tell instantly when you adjust them. I highly recommend them.

Sent from Note
How do you have it setup so you can adjust the rears? Also, what's your current drop?

Old 10-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #13
lscamaro

Bump, very interested in this

Old 10-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #14
blackTT600

Drives: 2011 2LT M6 SC
Me to, looking to do this some time soon