Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
Flash-SS

Drives: 2010 2SS Grey/silver stripes
Pacesetter LT's, any owner reviews?

Ok, please don't clutter this thread with posts telling me how stupid I am for even considering Pacesetters. I already know that they are at the bottom of the pack in the world of LS3 long tubes. If you have thousands of dollars to throw at headers, well that's awesome for you, but I am an Air Force enlisted guy with 2 kids and a mortgage so I can't justify blowing that kind of cash on my hobby.

Who I WOULD like to hear from are those of you who have had them, still have them, or have had experience with them. Dyno numbers would be great as well if anyone has them. Thanks in advance!

- Flash
2010 2SS LS3/ Custom painted gunmetal grey with "ghost" silver stripes / Roto-Fab CAI / Skip shift eleminator / Barton short throw shifter / 20% tint / muffler delete / ******** stealth enclosure with JL Audio 8W7 powered by a JL Audio J2 500.1

Flash-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Just so you know, there are several other options that won't break the bank. OBX is 304SS and are less than $500. Texas Speed headers are 304SS also and have good quality for around $500. Doug Thorleys are $700ish and get good reviews as well. My point is, just because you see the $1k+ price tag of the ARH and Kooks, doesn't mean they're all high dollar. ARH and Kooks are also 304SS. They all gain roughly the same HP as well. Pacesetter got a little notice when they came out but I haven't heard much about them since the OBX and TSP headers hit the market. Better material and almost the same price made the Pacesetters less of a bargain.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
bpoirier

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM CGM Stripes
I installed a set of Pacesetters for a friend and they fit up as well as the Kooks I have on my car. The quality was good and I would look at them if I were on a budget, no question about it. I can also tell you when he went and got his dyno tune he was right on par with all of the others as far as horsepower goes. I'm not sure of the exact numbers but I think he was at 405rwhp after the tune. This is on a LS3 motor.
bpoirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
Flash-SS

Drives: 2010 2SS Grey/silver stripes
Thanks for the info guys, that's just what I was looking for! I have looked at the OBX and DT's, but I felt like I would be stupid not to get some info on the pacesetters. If I can get the same performance and save $50, then why not. Thanks again fellas.
2010 2SS LS3/ Custom painted gunmetal grey with "ghost" silver stripes / Roto-Fab CAI / Skip shift eleminator / Barton short throw shifter / 20% tint / muffler delete / ******** stealth enclosure with JL Audio 8W7 powered by a JL Audio J2 500.1

Flash-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
bad55nomad

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS A6 Inferno Orange
I have had them on for a year . Still look as good as the day I put them on and they fit nice . I also used their Cats
bad55nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash-SS View Post
Thanks for the info guys, that's just what I was looking for! I have looked at the OBX and DT's, but I felt like I would be stupid not to get some info on the pacesetters. If I can get the same performance and save $50, then why not. Thanks again fellas.
Shopping for a better deal is what being a Camaro owner is all about....

If you ever have any questions on the DT's I'd be happy to help. We're the resident DT Experts!

Thanks and happy shopping!
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
i have them, the paint lasted until it warmed up. other than that no problems
Old 05-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash-SS View Post
You might want to look at the ads for Pacesetters. Straight from their site and Maryland speed says you get ONLY the 16ga mild steel headers for $450ish. You still need extentions to connect to your OEM pipes which are $120 or $250 for the cats. You'll also need O2 extentions which are another $40. That makes for a grand total of ~$600 without cats, ~$800 with. For $510 at TSP, you get 304SS headers with everything needed to connect to your car. Add $250 if you want the aftermarket cats.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #9
bpoirier

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM CGM Stripes
TSP headers are another good choice. I've installed two set of those. The fit and finish was good them too. Pricewise I think you'll be in the ballpark. I would spend extra and get the Stainless Steel headers. JMHO.
bpoirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
bad55nomad

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS A6 Inferno Orange
I got the ceramic coated pacesetters and cats for $ 495 shipped off Amazon.com
bad55nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
Aecannon1

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS (RS Package) LS3
I just picked up BOTH the extensions and the headers (PACESETTER) for $345 from Drivewire.com... I'm using them with my supercharger build. Yeah they aren't 1 7/8 or 2" headers... But they will flow just fine, even more so.. the exhaust gas velocity should give just enough back pressure to maintain torque while building horsepower. Big mistake most of these builds make is that they design the car's build to flow at X amount of air but only flow half of that... this kills backpressure, which in turn flattens your torque curve or restricts it. And with the Camaro as heavy as it is... I'd want a torque curve as close to my HP curve as possible. Check out most builds with BIG pipes... the torque curve will sit around 550 while the HP hits 650-700... that's just ridiculous. Even the Bugatti Veryron doesn't have HUGE exhaust piping (I've been under it). That's a V12, quad turbo. It's all about EGV and EGT's.
Aecannon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
red70tvhs
Red

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black 2ss M6
IF you get pacesetters get them coated... they'l gain you ballpark horsepower, other brands will net you a bit more hp gain but not alot, depends if the few ponies are worth your pennies. I ran pacesetters for a few years on my goat... replaced with a set of stainless, they were rusting badly and everytime I turned around a leak was popping up around the collectors. If your trying to budget I'd recomend strongly at least dropping some on a stainless set at the very least
red70tvhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
Bluffen

Drives: 2013 Sea Ray 220 Sundeck
I have ceramic coated L/T pacesetters they are built very well I inspected a set before purchasing I have about 4k miles on them and they look brand new.

They are priced right and I would recommend them to any Camaro owner
Old 07-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #14
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
I bought a set of pacesetter LT's for my LS3 used from a friend for under 200.00 with hi flow cats.

They have armor coat (Pacesetter's ceramic coating) and were painted black. Not sure about what kind of paint it was, but after about 500 miles it's still on there lol.

I had a local shop install them, they told me that the headers fit perfectly. I noticed the power in the butt dyno immediately, I am getting a dyno tune later in the summer, and I will definitely post up some pics from the dyno. My current related mods are a New Era OTR intake, and a muffler delete.

OP, same boat as you. I make a nice living, but with 3 kids, a mortgage and a wedding to save for, I couldn't pass up on these headers. Obviously I got mine for a very low price, but they are definitely worth it for what they are. Don't get me wrong: The ARH and Kooks LT's are down right works of art. They are gorgeous and Im sure that they probably produce a touch more HP/TQ, but for the price point the Pacesetters are great.

Sidenote. After the aformentioned 500 or so miles, still no CEL. I used O2 extensions and had both front and rear sensors hooked up. Im sure that a CEL will appear before I tune the car, but the tune is coming soon enough.

Did I mention the sound? I can officially wake the dead with my LS3 now.

If you are that concerned about rust/cracking due to heat, save up a few hundred more and get TSP OBX or whatever budget stainless header people are praising. Bottom line, if it's not Kooks/ARH/SW someone's probably going to try telling you that you wasted your money. While those headers are gorgeous, and I wouldn't knock them for a second, not all of us can drop 1200+ on a header, another 400 on a tune and god knows what else for a catback.

Let me put it in perspective in raw numbers. I called a performance shop in my region; I was quoted 2800.00 for a full ARH LT/Catback+Tune installed.

I paid under 200.00 for my headers, I will pay 400 for a tune. I will eat my hat if I see more than a 10 HP difference, honestly I don't even care. I can feel the power from adding them already, and the sound is incredible. That alone makes it worth the price of admission to ME at least.

While I would have LOVED to have dropped almost 3 grand on my ride, I can't justify it right now. I wanted headers, the sound, and the power. An opportunity arose that allowed me to get all of it for under a grand. Will I keep these forever? I doubt it. But until I get this wedding out of the way I'll proudly rock my Pacesetter LT's!

Yes it's a 30K car. Some of us are lucky just to have these cars, let alone have money to mod them

TLDR:

As long as you aren't expecting a lifetime of use, and the absolute MOST hp you will be happy. For a non-show car, with an owner on a VERY tight budget, these headers are a no brainer. Had I not found such a great deal on them though, I may have waited for a set of TSP's with cats.