Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #1
dreadpyrat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Resonator vs Muffler Delete

Hey all, been reading all the different threads about making the Camaro louder.

I've got a Automatic L99 2010 2SS and I also want a louder exhaust and more throaty rumble...but I also don't want to pay a lot of money.

So, questions!
1. What the heck is a resonator? (N00b question, I know.)
2. Does deleting the resonator change the sound of the exhaust more or less than deleting the mufflers?
3. Should I get a x-over pipe and if so, why? What does it add?

Thanks!
Rob

Last edited by dreadpyrat; 09-01-2014 at 11:30 PM. Reason: added engine details
dreadpyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:37 PM   #2
Jakey2SS

Drives: 15' Scat Pack
Deleting the mufflers will make it much louder than just deleting the resonator. I did a muffler delete and was happy with it but wanted a little more, so I bit the bullet and did the resonator too and I am very happy that I did. Honestly not really sure how much of a difference doing an X pipe makes but the shop that did the work on my car put one on and all I can say is that if you are on the fence about doing a muffler and or resonator delete, DO IT. I think I spent about 250 total, new tips and x pipe included.
Jakey2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
Youngone

Drives: Supercharged 2013 2SS/RS
Mine has a resonator and muffler delete with magnaflow x pipe to replace the resonator. This being said. 40 for mufflers off, 40 for resonator off and x pipe in, 70 or so for x pipe. In total it was definately worth it. But I hate the sound of the 4 cylinder shut off, so I drive mine in "paddle shift" mode all the time. As you're driving, down shift and to cuts the AFM completely out until you put it in park, reverse, etc then you have to do it again.
Youngone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
dreadpyrat

Thanks guys, appreciate the info. I'm really struggling to figure out the right way to go without spending a fortune.

It seems the cutting out the rez and/or mufflers is not only cheap but gives instant volume to the exhaust note.

So why do so many go for a Cat-back or Axle-Back system?

And, if you do go with a CB or AB system, do you still want to cut out the rez or mufflers?
Old 09-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
djpelosi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Get rid of the mufflers and resonators. They are ugly and heavy and sound much better without.
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Best Time: 12.43 @ 114, 1.99 60' on stock wheels and stock tires
Build Thread
djpelosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
dswells11

Drives: 2011 1SS LS3
If you go with CB or AB... You'll have aftermarket mufflers... I ran with a muffler delete for a while and got a lot of complements... Then went to long tubes with no cats and no mufflers... Def turned heads but had super bad drone. This past Saturday I had two j-pipes welded on and the car sounds amazing!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #7
Muddflap

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Deleting the secondary cats on my LS3 made more of a difference than deleting the mufflers.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:56 PM   #8
dreadpyrat

Cool, this helps! Ok, how does this sound as a plan then: delete mufflers(but not resonators) and have J pipes welded in for drone relief.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:59 PM   #9
Muddflap

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadpyrat View Post
Cool, this helps! Ok, how does this sound as a plan then: delete mufflers(but not resonators) and have J pipes welded in for drone relief.
If you are L99 i think you will need to delete resonators also.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:24 PM   #10
dreadpyrat

Thanks Muddflap, can you tell me why? I'm still not clear on what purpose the resonators actually serve.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:25 PM   #11
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadpyrat View Post
Hey all, been reading all the different threads about making the Camaro louder.

I've got a Automatic L99 2010 2SS and I also want a louder exhaust and more throaty rumble...but I also don't want to pay a lot of money.

So, questions!
1. What the heck is a resonator? (N00b question, I know.)
2. Does deleting the resonator change the sound of the exhaust more or less than deleting the mufflers?
3. Should I get a x-over pipe and if so, why? What does it add?

Thanks!
Rob
Magnaflow muffler delete axleback exhaust with solo hi flow cats. The stock resonator is still on the car...i have the same car as you do ,so this is exactly how it will sound.

rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #12
dswells11

Drives: 2011 1SS LS3
Did you go on YouTube and listen to different set ups? That's what i did and ended up spending $70 to get the mufflers taken off and kept the factory tips...