Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 02-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #71
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Actually I did just that the first time.

So of course I had to manually install the drivers. But now, even though I manually installed them, I still have to do it every time I plug it in. Not that big of a deal, but the window is hard to navigate. It won't show all options. So I gotta go into the launch icon and set it to open on maximized under the properties.

It's that kind of thing that drives me nuts.

This last time I was trying ot get the SCT software to recognize the device but it wouldn't. I just wanted to see what all I had in it as far as tunes, but it just wouldn't do it. Even though I manually installed the drivers again.

I'm sure once I get the pattern of behavior down, I'll be able to figure it out but it's getting there that's a pain.

This weekend I'll be using Bonnies laptop where the tuner has never been plugged in to. So I should get a clean read.
That is because you have not removed the wrong drivers.

I am sure that will clear things up.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #72
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
That is because you have not removed the wrong drivers.

I am sure that will clear things up.
I tried. I did what they explained to do. And installed everything manually after that. Still have to do it when I plug it in. Maybe I'm not getting them all but when I uninstall drivers I uninstall every one on the computer.......

No biggie cause all my other plug in hardware and devices install their own drivers when plugged in. That's kinda what I'm saying bout SCT.

But I'll be doing it on a fresh computer that will have the drivers and software already in it before I plug it in this time. Maybe that will solve the problem.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #73
011silver 2SS

Drives: 2011 2ss inlaid silver seats a6
so ted, does this mean the 186 degree water temp is the most efficient temp for combustion . its not as efficient as 160 degree water circulating around the cylinder? cant these differences in temps be tuned for. or is the hotter water temps better in efficiency. seems like some say ya and some say nay. i would think the tuner could adjust for either water temp. but with exhaust gases thrown into cat converters and such,, maybe that accounts,,amoung other things,, for the factories going to hotter t-stats. would like to hear more.
011silver 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:08 PM   #74
OBSSEST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Ted I am really getting close to saying screw the warranty. But with my luck that would be when my car breaks. So still gathering reasons why to screw the warranty.

I always felt better about having my powertain warranty, but...

Awhile back, I started a thread on Camaro5 asking for ANYONE to provide me with just one example of a specific warranty claim denied by GM for a tuned car. There was not one response regarding an ACTUAL warranty claim which was denied. Most of the fear seems to be hype and fear generated by GM. Based on the mods people have around here, the actual danger of having a claim denied seems to be far less than 1%.

I can live with that. Did I mention that I LOVE driving this car more than ever? BEST decision I ever made. No regrets...
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #75
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 011silver 2SS View Post
so ted, does this mean the 186 degree water temp is the most efficient temp for combustion . its not as efficient as 160 degree water circulating around the cylinder? cant these differences in temps be tuned for. or is the hotter water temps better in efficiency. seems like some say ya and some say nay. i would think the tuner could adjust for either water temp. but with exhaust gases thrown into cat converters and such,, maybe that accounts,,among other things,, for the factories going to hotter t-stats. would like to hear more.
Opinions will vary but, the chances of keeping the engine at 160 are Pretty slim, so if you tune for it on the dyno to show a good number then go out on the street you will see it does not stay much below 195 due to the fans and radiator set up, so your 160 tuning will not do so well in the real world conditions.

On another Note IF, you could keep the engine at 160 degrees Gum and Varnish can build up in the engine.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #76
Silver Ice

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss-rs
I downloaded a custom tune from Ted also. I just can't wait for some good weather so I can take my car out. Thanks Ted
Pfadt rear tie rods
Pfadt rear trailing arms
Pfadt rear lower control arm reinforcement bracket
Kooks Long tube headers and high flow cats
Airaid Cold air intake
Magnaflow catback exhaust
Mti short throw shifter
Jannetty tune
Silver Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #77
GJG

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
It seems it's always something. I've played with smart phones, Hardware, upgrades to PCs and firmware, programs, iPods and other devices from printers to routers to networking.

I've NEVER had this kind of problem. Drivers, window, connection or whatever. SCT really does suck as far as that goes. Maybe I got a funky handheld? I don't know but I dread even looking at it.

Once the tune is in the device it's really easy to put in the car, but everything else is a major pain in the ass. I've NEVER hooked the SCT to any computer and NOT spend ove an hour and sometimes 2 hours.

I haven't had a chance to take the car out and datalog. Probably won't get a chance now til this weekend. I may have to just wait til I can get someone more familiar to help me get a datalog done.

This is why I call myself a newb idiot. Most people don't have a problem apperently. I may just get a more user freindly device. I gotta see this weekend how it goes first.

Documentation?

Don't you mean Breif description?
definitely lacking......no reason it isn't plug and play....period!!

i am sure you've seen this on the sct Support Center ŧ Knowledgebase ŧ Livelink Demo page but it is the thing that got me over the top....

Third and equally as important is the order of events.
1. Plug in tuner to the vehicle's OBD2.
2. Plug in the usb cable to the laptop.
3. Turn the vehicle's key to the on position. (Skipping this step is the most common problem)
4. Open the Livelink software.
5. Press the Graph Button located at the top left.

if you mess up or start over....unplug the sct from the car and the computer....turn ignition off....close the livelink and start over....hope you get it!!!
Old 03-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #78
silverbullet10
Ken

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If you purchase this from their web site type in camaro5 in the discount block and you save $9.99! If you call to order you don't get the discount.
silverbullet10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #79
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I'm still on board Ted. I'm talking to Doc at Alchemy to get my tune on my SCT.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #80
eflynnbot
The People's Choice

Drives: 11 CGM 2SS RS
Ted, I live in Boston is there a benefit to me coming to the shop for a tune rather than going the SCT route?
eflynnbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #81
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflynnbot View Post
Ted, I live in Boston is there a benefit to me coming to the shop for a tune rather than going the SCT route?

Hey, I'm pretty sure Ted is away this weekend, well he better be because that's what he told me , so I'll to my best to help you out. The short answer is no. Unless you really want to see what numbers you car will make or would like a print out then save your gas. Especially if you just want a basic bolt on tune. Then no. No need to come down. If you have a blower or a cam etc you'd be better of letting him run it in person. Not saying that he couldn't nail it remotely, b/c he could, but it would save time and a lot of logging.

Gd luck. Ted will hook you up.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #82
eflynnbot
The People's Choice

Drives: 11 CGM 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Hey, I'm pretty sure Ted is away this weekend, well he better be because that's what he told me , so I'll to my best to help you out. The short answer is no. Unless you really want to see what numbers you car will make or would like a print out then save your gas. Especially if you just want a basic bolt on tune. Then no. No need to come down. If you have a blower or a cam etc you'd be better of letting him run it in person. Not saying that he couldn't nail it remotely, b/c he could, but it would save time and a lot of logging.

Gd luck. Ted will hook you up.
Thanks for the info and saving me some gas. For now yes it would just be bolt on nothing fancy.
eflynnbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #83
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflynnbot View Post
Thanks for the info and saving me some gas. For now yes it would just be bolt on nothing fancy.

No problem. Call him up on Monday and he'll take care of you. I'm sure you can have the tuner by Wed. I have one for my car and I'm 10 minutes from him. They are really handy and make life much easier.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:03 AM   #84
Gizz69
Tony

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Blk/Blk
Couple of questions, so I can get a bit of clarification. With this particular unit, the custom tune from Ted will include both engine and transmission tuning?

I want to make sure the AFM goes away. Hate is not a strong enough word.
I would like the transmission to have firmer shifts and downshift to 1st when in sport mode and coming to a stop.
How much does Ted charge if I make modifications and need a new tune based on the changes?

Thanks!
Gizz69 is offline   Reply With Quote