Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 12-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Tpcam

Drives: Camaro ss rs convertable
Top ?

Just purchased a 2011 vert with 1700 miles Do all top have problems keep reading negative posts are there any positive ones.
Tpcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
No, not all cars. 2011 was the first year with the convertible tops. There were a lot of problems with the first tops, but not all of them. You will want to look for rips and holes in the top to see if you have a problem. Also watch for water in the rear seat footwells if it sits out in the rain. Those were the most common problems. There is a convertible sub-forum that you can search for more information and pictures of cars that had problems.

Check the service date for your car so you know when your 3 yr warranty expires. You will want to make sure your top is working correctly before then because most extended warranties don't cover the top.

I hope you got a good one, but you will want to be sure while the repairs are covered under warranty. The good news is that they have redesigned the tops since then and if you need a replacement it should be a much better top.

Good luck!
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpcam View Post
Just purchased a 2011 vert with 1700 miles Do all top have problems keep reading negative posts are there any positive ones.
The main issues were with 2011 and early build 2012 verts. Though you see many, many posts about problems with these years, there are many that have not had problems or the problems have been minor.

I would guess that the majority of the owners of 2011 and 2012 verts are having no significant problems. That being said, the minority of us that have been having issues, have had significant issues.

Examine your top, specifically along the edges above driver's and passenger's windows and the seal around the back. Check for rubbing at the back when the top is retracted. Check the floor boards in the back for moisture if it is out in heavy rain (water management bag issue). ---- if you see no issues with any of these areas, you likely are good to go and should just kick back and enjoy the vert experience!

(If you have questions, shoot some pics and PM me and I can look at them and give ya feedback as to if there is an issue.)
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Jfoster

Drives: 2016 GT vert.
Tp.
We have had the 5th bow replaced, right side cable tensioner replaced and a seam in the quarter panel resealed without issues from the dealer. We got ours with 4700 miles and the bow was bent and the water started at around 11000 miles. All are fixable with a trained tech. The longest ours stayed at the dealer was three days.

With your top half way open, look inside the top where the front inside linner is attached and you'll see a plastic tab on each side that holds the front corners and make sure they aren't to low and or sharp. With t
the top down they will rub into the top. I posted some pics under "a fix for the two wear holes" on page 2. That has been the only wear marks on our top.

They will have some issues, but the key is (I'm sure you've read already) finding a good dealer that knows how to work on it and save yourself ALOT of headaches. To me that is the Achilles heel of these cars.

With that we'll continue to enjoy the car and knowing that if I have an issue I have a very good dealer that can repair it without all the bs that a lot of folks have had to deal with and have ruined their convertible experience.

Last edited by Jfoster; 12-24-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
LessSinister

Drives: 2011 - 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpcam View Post
I wouldn't worry too much as once it's got the new replacement top (and installed correctly) you shouldn't have a problem with it again. At least that's our experience and it's already been through two winters of snow and ice.

Last edited by LessSinister; 12-24-2013 at 10:34 AM. Reason: changed should to shouldn't
LessSinister is offline   Reply With Quote