Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
xxlbeerz

Drives: 2010 Black on Black
Metra kit install help

I'm to the part where it says cut out part of the dash (radio support). Is it absolutely necessary?

If so, easiest way to do it?
xxlbeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
xxlbeerz

Wow, I actually had to apologize to my car after that...
Old 12-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
GJG

Drives: 2SS
i cut more of the lower area than the inst's showed
Old 12-13-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
xxlbeerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJG View Post
i cut more of the lower area than the inst's showed

Yeah, now I can't get it back together. Wish I woulda just cut the whole pocket out. What did you use, dremel? I let someone borrow mine so I'm having to get medieval.

Also, did you put all the wires and box behind the gauges?
Old 12-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
xxlbeerz

I have the rear speakers connected to the proper connector (the supposed tricky part), and the fronts to the standard connector, but for some reason I have no front sound...

If all else fails, I suppose I'll just run RCA's to the back straight off the clarion HU instead of jumping off the BA amp for my aftermarket amp. Wasn't quite ready to do all this though.

I did get the wiring worked out, thanks GJG!
For anyone installing the metra kit, here's a pic of what to cut courtesy of GJG, ignore the metra manual. Only cut the red part, leave the yellow alone.

Last edited by xxlbeerz; 12-13-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
GJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxlbeerz View Post
I have the rear speakers connected to the proper connector (the supposed tricky part), and the fronts to the standard connector, but for some reason I have no front sound...

If all else fails, I suppose I'll just run RCA's to the back straight off the clarion HU instead of jumping off the BA amp for my aftermarket amp. Wasn't quite ready to do all this though.

I did get the wiring worked out, thanks GJG!
For anyone installing the metra kit, here's a pic of what to cut courtesy of GJG, ignore the metra manual.

the bolts/flat portions in the rear highlited in the yellow boxes i left....i don't understand why Metra wanted that cut......it gives you no more room......

xxlbeerz.....which stock system did you have?? amplified or not??
Old 12-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
GJG

Quote:
Yeah, now I can't get it back together. Wish I woulda just cut the whole pocket out. What did you use, dremel? I let someone borrow mine so I'm having to get medieval.

Also, did you put all the wires and box behind the gauges?
i used this:

my wires went everywhere!!! LOL

the video inputs i didn't use went in the void to the left side.....most of the rest was behind the gauges and below the head unit i put the interface so i could see the LEDs and then be able to turn it so the adjustments on the gain and blinker sounds could be made.....

all the above was by trial and error......which by my count was in and out at least 6 times over a day and a half!!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
GJG

this thread may help you with your front rear speaker issue

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98747
Old 12-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
xxlbeerz

Quote:

I have the Boston system. I have two of my own amplifiers as well, but I wanted to just get it to the BA system then connect with ********'s harnesses later to my amps.

Now I'm curious, if I run RCA's straight from the HU to the back, then unplug the BA amp harness and jump the stock speaker wires, I guess I would lose my chimes and beeps. Back to the manual...
Old 12-13-2010, 10:47 PM   #10
xxlbeerz

Quote:
i used this:
all the above was by trial and error......which by my count was in and out at least 6 times over a day and a half!!!!

Yeah, I've installed a ton of systems, and this thing ain't no joke, very tedious.

I'm shoving most of the wires and the metra brain through the hole I just made down over the trans tunnel. The 44-pin i put to the left.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #11
xxlbeerz

Quote:

Doh! I was taking amplified as in aftermarket amplifiers. So I'm supposed to use the RCA connectors for my Boston Acoustics system.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:08 AM   #12
xxlbeerz

Quote:
Doh! I was taking amplified as in aftermarket amplifiers. So I'm supposed to use the RCA connectors for my Boston Acoustics system.

That got it (I'm we todd did, guess that's what happens when installing in the middle of the night), thanks for all your help GJG!
I'll finish the install and programming, chimes, etc. this weekend, beginning on FRIDAY this time, not Sunday evening.

Only issues I see now. I set my HU flush, but it seems kind of recessed. Not sure what I can do about that because the frame is set distance, and if I mount the radio farther out it may look worse... Did you guys keep yours recessed or push the radio out closer to flush with the gray panel?

Also, my sub pops when I turn the car off. Did this with stock and across three amps before the Metra. I'm using a Focal amp now, so I know it's not the amps. Maybe it's using the harness to jump off the BA amp...
Old 12-14-2010, 12:20 AM   #13
GJG

Quote:
Old 12-14-2010, 12:26 AM   #14
GJG

here's one for you.....in the metra instructions, under "FOR AMPLIFIED SYSTEMS" it says:

Quote:
Connect the Blue/Pink wire to the VSS or speed sense wire of the aftermarket navigation radio.
i never did figure out what to do with that wire on the kenwood 9960........what did you do with it???