Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-22-2013, 04:33 AM   #1
faSSteddie

Drives: 2013 Victory red/white stripes SS
Front liscense plate

I ordered a new SS Camaro a few weeks ago and live in Texas. I really, really do not want to have the dealer drill holes in my bumper for my front liscense plate, once it gets here. I am under the understanding that the dealer won't let me drive off the lot with out liscense plate/bracket. ( at least that was the case on my last car 6 years ago) Can/will they NOT drill holes in my bumper...what options do I have? ( What if I bring something to attach it with me when I go to pick up my car?) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

faSSteddie
faSSteddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:47 AM   #2
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
>I really, really do not want to have the dealer drill holes in my bumper for my front liscense plate, once it gets here. I am under the understanding that the dealer won't let me drive off the lot with out liscense plate/bracket. ( at least that was the case on my last car 6 years ago)

That BS! Make it very clear if the dealer drills your bumper, the deal is off! Put it in the sales contract!

There are several alternatives. I don't run one most of the time but when I do this is what I do:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73549

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown

Last edited by hot_rod; 04-22-2013 at 05:01 AM.
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:54 AM   #3
2011ss/rs

Drives: 11 ss/rs RJT w/Black Cherry stripes
Send a message via AIM to 2011ss/rs
The JacFab bracket attaches under the front of the car using two existing bolt holes.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:13 AM   #4
t&t moyer
It's all hers.

Drives: 2015 ZL1
JacFab is your friend!

All I've done twice now is tell my dealer to NOT drill holes or mount the plate holder. No problems either time. Like said above, if there's holes stand your ground!!!
t&t moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:22 AM   #5
billbunton

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Send a message via MSN to billbunton
The last time I bought a car in Texas (about two years ago), the dealer told me the front license plate was required -- then asked if I wanted the plate holder mounted or not :-)
billbunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:23 AM   #6
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
I still want to kill (yes harsh word) my dealer for drilling my bumper. I got the motorized licence plate kit that retracts under your bumper with a remote, had it on hand before the car even got here. Told the dealer NOT to drill holes, and they did anyway. I will never buy from them again and was happy to tell Chevrolet that. I even named my sales guy and called him out.
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:26 AM   #7
suplex

Drives: 2011 Coupe, 1LT, A6, No RS Package.
There is this one too:

http://****************/products_chev.html

and here is a link to the Jacfab one people are talking about:

http://jacfab.com/products/camaro-pr...plate-bracket/

Whoops, looks like the forum doesn't like my first link. Here it is with spaces in between all the characters...simply edit out the spaces when you copy it...and it will work:

h t t p : / / w w w . d m c t a g . c o m / p r o d u c t s _ c h e v . h t m l
Old 04-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #8
DFWHD

Drives: 45th Anniversary Convertible
Definitely JackFab. Who is your dealer? I purchased from Stonebriar in Frisco last May and the guy said he would only put the front plate on if I insisted to protect the car. I agreed 100%!
DFWHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
as the others have already mentioned, if you are going to run a front plate, get yourself a NO DRILL OPTIONED JacFab mount. very high quality piece, well worth every dime. I love mine!
Old 04-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #10
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by faSSteddie View Post
I ordered a new SS Camaro a few weeks ago and live in Texas. I really, really do not want to have the dealer drill holes in my bumper for my front liscense plate, once it gets here. I am under the understanding that the dealer won't let me drive off the lot with out liscense plate/bracket. ( at least that was the case on my last car 6 years ago) Can/will they NOT drill holes in my bumper...what options do I have? ( What if I bring something to attach it with me when I go to pick up my car?) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

faSSteddie
I've recently bought two Camaros in Texas in the past year and half and neither dealer required to have the front LP on. I know the TX front LP law has changed somewhat so maybe they are a bit more relaxed about it.

I would just talk to them and see what they say, if they insist on having the front LP them tell them to zip tie it or that you will provide the mount that they can mount the plate too
Old 04-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #11
fastfreddie
FreakyFast!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS S/C NicKey #55
I used zipties when I temperally mounted mine. Now I'm running without the plate. I used zipties to mount the plate holder on my wifes Camaro as well.

2010 2SS/RS #55 NicKey Stage 2S Super-Camaro custom painted by Pete (Mr. Showstopper)
Build Thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250743
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #12
13blackLS

Drives: 2013 camaro ls; 2005 rx8
they didnt even ask me...they just put all the stuff in the trunk...left it unmounted and undrilled...my factory front lp mount is still sealed in the bag.haha
13blackLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #13
CamaroGuyDave

Drives: 2013 1LT A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by faSSteddie View Post

faSSteddie
I purchased a new camaro 3 months ago from Huffines Chevrolet in Lewisville. They did not mention anything about mounting the front plate, and I have not been pulled over for no front plate yet. Knock on wood.
CamaroGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #14
CamaroSSRSL99
Heartbeat of America

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS, 1967 Camaro
To be on the safe side, purchase something like the JacFab (love this product!) and inform the dealership that you already have a front license plate bracket. That way they won't give you any hassle. When I purchased my Camaro, they put the bracket in my trunk and told me to come back to have it installed. I was like "bwahahahahahahaha, sure...I'll come back". lol