Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 05-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Danhr's 2010 2SS/RS H/C/N2O

I keep getting various pm's from people asking how I like certain mods on my car. I have finally decided to make my ego a little bigger and start a thread.

First off a little history about the car...
I bought the car used with only 5000 miles on it. I found it on craigslist. An elderly couple had a 67 camaro (show car) and a 69 camaro (drag car) and the third one was just too much. I kind of jokingly offered them $30,000 for it, and to my surpise they accepted it. Needless to say, I bought a plane ticket to Nashville, TN (I live in Pittsburgh, PA) and got it that week.

I already knew that I didn't care for the warranty and that it was going to be voided eventually. So what better time to start with the mod bug, then when you first get it? You might as well enjoy it for as long as you can, because I bought the car to have fun in.

The car currently has the following mods on it:

Texas Speed's 231/236 .641"/.615" 112 LSA
West Coast Cylinder Head's Stage 2 L92's with my stock LS3 valves and PRC EHT valve springs
Ported LS3 Intake
Ported Throttle Body
Cold Air Inductions Intake
Kooks 1 7/8 Headers
Off Road X-Pipe
Kooks 3" Exhaust
Nitrous Outlet Plate Kit (150 pills/15# bottle)
Nitrous Outlet "Big Show" purge kit (purges out the grill)
Nitrous Outlet center console switch panel
NANO 4500 system
RevXtreme Catch Can
Richmond Gears 4.10 gears
Pdaft Street Differential Bushings
Texas Speed Under Drive Pulley
20% Tint all the way around
295/40/20 Firestone Firehawk Wideoval Tires in the rear
NGK TR7 spark plugs
FJO mini-progressive nitrous controller
ARP Head Studs
"ITSSL0W" license plate
Factory MLS Head gaskets
ARP Pulley bolt

Immediate next mods:
MGW Shifter
c6 z06 wheels with mickey thompson drag radials
Spohn chromemoly trailing arms

"When I get around to it" mods:
Pdaft lowering springs
Remote bottle opener
Pdaft sway bar
Maybe a dedicated fuel cell for the nitrous, and run a 200 shot
SJM Line Lock

more information/pictures to come....

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.

Last edited by danhr; 05-22-2010 at 01:27 PM.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Awesome mods and I agree with you about starting the mods right away, mine had just over 200 miles on it when I brought it Jannetty Racing last Saturday, and I enjoy the car much more now
Old 05-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
danhr
BAMF SS

Reviews:

Texas Speed's 231/236 cam:
I picked this cam because frankly, I wanted the biggest cam I thought I could safely get away with, without having to deal with Piston To Valve clearance issues with my heads being milled. I, for one, do not mind a little cam surge, so I wanted big.. and this is the biggest I thought I could go at the time. I went with a 112 LSA, instead of the 111 LSA that this cam comes with for two reasons:
A) better response to the nitrous
B) to increase piston to valve clearance
It would also give me better driveability, but that didn't really matter to me. This being said, on to more about the cam. All I can say is WOW. The car is just putting around on a mail order tune right now and there is virtually NO cam surge. I have to literally try to make it surge, in order to get it. It literally drives almost like stock. It's actually too tame for my liking. haha. but at 4k+ rpms, this cam really throws you in the back of your seat. Even though I'd like something a little bigger, I would absolutely recommend this cam to someone.

West Coast Stage 2 L92's:
Anyone who knows anything about heads, knows who Rich is at West Coast Cylinder Heads. He is an absolute dream to work with. I would regularly call him and ask him various options and he would remember me by name each time. And I am by far, no one special. I was just a regular customer. I discussed several options with him on how to set up my heads. At first I thought about sinking the valves in the heads a bit, to let me mill the heads some more to bump up the compression. Rich highly advised against this. Telling me that sinking the valves really hurts head flow, and the bump in compression wouldn't make enough power to compensate for the hurt in the head flow. That being said, I got a set of bare Stage 2 L92's from Rich, that were milled .020". When I recieved them, I put the PRC EHT valve springs on them, as well as my factory LS3 valves. Of course, I wanted to reuse my factory valves, as they were lighter than the L92's and most of the aftermarkets. I know I wasn't going to be going serious enough with the motor to justify aftermarket valves, so I wanted to keep the valvetrain as light as possible. With the cam installed, I came out to .090" PTV clearance, using factory MLS head gaskets.

Kooks Headers/exhaust:
This was pretty much a brand loyalty choice here. I have cheaped out on headers before, and it always kicked me in the behind. I eventually ended up with kooks headers on my previous camaro. So this time around, I figured I would do it right the first time. and when I saw that Kooks made a cat back system, I was sold before I even heard a sound clip. I was already familiar with kooks' quality/fit/qc. And the fact that it came in a 3" just sweetened the deal. I opted not to get cats, and tuned the back oxygen sensors out. I, for one, did not care for 1 3/4 headers even on my LS1, let alone on this car, so the choice was easy, and I went with 1 7/8. When I first installed the entire exhaust system on the car, I was very surprised by how docile it was at idle. It was barely louder than stock! but whenever I got on it, it came to life. That is perfect for me. I have had loud cars before, and it was fun, but now I try to get a more refined sound. After I put the heads and cam on though, the quiet idle went away. lol.

Richmond 4.10 gears:
OK, by far, best mod done to the car. If you are even remotely thinking of getting gears, get 4.10's NOW. This car should have come with the option of 4.10's. Highway crusing speeds of 70 mph put me at 2000 rpms. Funny part is, before at that speed, I would get some exhaust drone. Now that it is at a higher rpm, the drone is gone! It's actually more quiet on the highway with the gears! When I initially took the car out to check for gear whine (which by the way, there is NONE... it sounds stock), I accidently broke the tires loose twice with traction control on. The car gets in its powerband so much faster now and it's so much more fun to drive. This should be one of the first mods done to these cars. If I was going to stretch these mods over a period of time (and not within a month, like I did. lol), gears would of been one of the firsts.... right after headers and cai.

Vanity Plate:

I'm a dork and I wanted one. I'm even writing a review for a license plate... that's right. I went and tried to get "itsslow" but it was already taken. So I replaced the "o" with a "0". Problem solved! So there an option for anyone else trying to get a vanity plate and someone has taken what they wanted. My first choice was "BAMF SS" but I guess they thought that was too vulgar, because it was available

Window Tint:

I got 20% all the way around on my car. Solar Gard Smoke Plus to be exact. Doubled up with the factory tint, my windows registered 12%. I have yet to get pulled over. This is a MUST for black cars. It makes the car looks so much better.

Stock Longblock

Last edited by danhr; 05-22-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
danhr
BAMF SS

Videos:

The car with the full Kook's exhaust

The car on the dyno with just the exhaust and intake (it made 400 rwhp, 405 lbs of torque SAE... the STD numbers were like 420 or 425, I don't remember, because I didn't care about those numbers. lol)

The first start up with the heads/cam with stock tune

A regular idle clip of the heads and cam

I messed around with the idle tables and starved the motor for air to get a real choppy idle. I made it about a block down the road with this tune before I fouled the plugs. lol. When it stalled out, a clould of black smoke caught up to me, as if I were driving a diesel. You could not even stand behind the car while it was idling without having your eyes tear up

Stock Longblock

Old 05-23-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
boostedyards86

Drives: Cummins 3500
is it ever going to be fast
Old 05-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
danhr
BAMF SS

no, lol. that's why I got the license plate. lol.

that and they thought BAMF SS was too vulgar.....

Stock Longblock

Old 05-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
boostedyards86

Drives: Cummins 3500
idk i like bamf ss... i should look into that.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
danhr
BAMF SS

BAMF was my first choice. It said it was available online, but they gave me my second choice instead "ITSSL0W". So I'm assuming they knew what it meant and thought it was innappropriate.

Stock Longblock

Old 05-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #9
guiLT
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2001 Maxima
Awesome SS!
Old 05-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #10
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Thats a great write up. My only question is when are you getting that beast to the track. I know that its has to be killing you to see what it will do!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #11
danhr
BAMF SS

I took it to the track once, just for shits and giggles right after the heads/cam install. The tune was and still is not on. It still backfires a lot (not your typical ls1 crackle, an actual backfire), it's running rich, and it still dies every so often at idle. It still had some torque managment in the tune, and I believe that was messing me up. I couldn't get it to launch to save my life. lol. 2500 rpm launch, it would bog the living day lights out of the car. 3000 rpm launch, it would blow the tires off. And then shifting into 2nd gear, it would break the tires loose bad and bounce off the rev limiter quite a few times. then i would only go through the traps in 3rd gear. lol. All ricer excuses aside, it ran a DA correct 12.1 @ 118 with a (hides head in shame) 2.6 60' (on motor). That was the 2500 launch run and it was bogging bad (nose was falling down bad, to the point that it looked like it was going to stall). I'm getting some z06 wheels to hold me over for awhile. I am anxiously awaiting spohn's new rear lower control arm that they claim will allow clearance for a 15" drag wheel (they claimed it wasn't any fancy wheel either, just a plain jane weld racing). So I will hold off with buying bogarts until that comes out, as I would much rather run a 15" hoosier qtp, than any of the 17" tire options.

I might go this week to go play around with the new mods (since then I have got gears, underdrive pulley, ported throttle body, new street tires, differential bushings, and it's getting dyno tuned this wednesday). I know it won't run what I want/think it will run, but it will still be fun, and that's the main goal of the car.... well that and to mop the floor with boostedyards86's camaro

Stock Longblock

Last edited by danhr; 05-23-2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: had to talk trash to boostedyard86
Old 05-23-2010, 04:57 PM   #12
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

You didn't just correct your times for the DA did you? Whatever the slips says is what it ran. I'd imagine that it will go good when the issues are cleared up. That 15" wheel will be awesome.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #13
danhr
BAMF SS

when you have a 3500+ DA, yeah... you correct it... I'm sorry that I went to a track that was humid and it was 95* at the track and that isn't on sea level. We can't all be as lucky as to have a nice tracks nearby.

Or I could just drive over to MIR and get myself a negative DA on a cool night and not correct it and claim whatever it is.

Please do not post in my thread if you have no clue what you are talking about

Stock Longblock

Last edited by danhr; 05-23-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #14
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

No clue? You yourself said it was a ricer's move to correct for DA. Easy big fella, it was said in jest. Some people are ok correcting for da and some aren't. Whatver floats your boat but on the 1/4 list they go by what your slip says, and thats a fact. As for not having a clue...I don't seem to need to correct my da and I would bet I have less invested in my car than you and it performs much better. Gd luck with your car and this thread. I will refrain from posting in it again. Sorry.