Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 01-10-2009, 02:05 AM   #827
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Sorry, repost

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:09 AM   #828
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Why is turning DLRs off such a big deal? I can see not seeing benefit in them, but what is the harm?

I really like the DIC control setup on the stalk. That's quite clever. Using the two buttons in the Cobalt is a bit awkward. This should be much easier to use. Sure the power, handling, looks, and heritage make you fall in love with this car, but it is these little details that make it a smart buy. I like that.
If you turn them off when you don't need them, your battery will last longer and the lights will last longer before needing replacing.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:37 AM   #829
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
If you turn them off when you don't need them, your battery will last longer and the lights will last longer before needing replacing.
Yeah but it takes a pretty long time for headlights to burn out anyway and the bulbs aren't very expensive. It just doesn't seem worth the effort. And I don't see how they affect the battery anymore than running your radio while driving.

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:42 AM   #830
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Yeah but it takes a pretty long time for headlights to burn out anyway and the bulbs aren't very expensive. It just doesn't seem worth the effort. And I don't see how they affect the battery anymore than running your radio while driving.

In fact, virtually no current comes from the battery while driving. It all comes from the alternator.

DRLs are a safety issue, more than anything - plus, I don't want to risk getting in an accident and the insurance company denying my claim because my DRLS were bypassed.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:45 AM   #831
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidfire350 View Post
anyone wish DRL's would just go away
+1
I like being in control of everything, and hate when stuff is automatically done for me. Besides, I may want to sneak around, (why I don't know...but I may still want to) and you can't do that very well with a pair of fog lights glaring away!

Some of the guys feel confident there is a way to turn them off...I hope they're right.
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #832
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
I don't like the look of daytime running lamps..Seems like an unnecessary waste. Your auto lights should come on under a tunnel if it gets really dark Or you know those lunar or solar eclipses and or a huge asteroids blocking the sun every few million years.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:03 AM   #833
HeatherR

Drives: 2009 CTS, 2008 Solstice GXP
Sorry you can't avoid the DRL (at least from the factory, I am sure you'll figure something out once you get your hands on it). Also, when I mentioned the Turn-by-turn navigation I forgot to mention it also shows up on the radio, so if you have a "co-pilot" they can see that display while you will see the directions on the center dash as part of the DIC. It has really cool graphics, like when you arrive at your destination there's a checkered flag
HeatherR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #834
dpsantoli

Drives: 2006 Harley Davidson FXSTi
Is there an oil pressure gauge anywhere on the 1ss? Does the digital read out have oil pressure? I noticed it wasn't included in Heather's description of the digital read out between the speedo and tach. I was hoping maybe she forgot to mention it. Thanks Pat
dpsantoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #835
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Why is turning DLRs off such a big deal? I can see not seeing benefit in them, but what is the harm?
For me it was mainly when camping. I wanted to go get firewood or go for an early hike, come in after dark, whatever and ended up spot lighting everyone in the camp ground with my DRLs.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #836
Optimus Prime

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Heather, where are you at right now? Are you still in Florida? I'm in the Tampa Bay area, and if you're anywhere near me, I'd LOVE to see that car! I've yet to see any 5th gen Camaro, concept or otherwise, in person.... I gotta see this car!!

Former garage: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS 6M
2011 Avalanche LT
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #837
HeatherR

Drives: 2009 CTS, 2008 Solstice GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
Heather, where are you at right now? Are you still in Florida? I'm in the Tampa Bay area, and if you're anywhere near me, I'd LOVE to see that car! I've yet to see any 5th gen Camaro, concept or otherwise, in person.... I gotta see this car!!
Sorry...I left Florida awhile ago. I am in Toronto to for a few days and then return to MI for the NAIAS
HeatherR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #838
DerbyChamp06

Drives: 13' RAM 1500 4x4
DRL'S
I don't mind the DRL's on my 06' Impala.......But on a Camaro, different story. I would run them MOST of the time, if given the on/off ability, for the sake of safety. But DRL's take away from the car's "attitude" and at times, I want the car to be the focal point, and not the lights.....Whenever I see a newer Vette, those orange DRL's just look so bad, and really detract from the car-I'm just thankful the new Maro in RS trim will atleast use the white fog lamps for DRL's instead of the orange marker/turn signals. But I will be looking for some sort of kit that allows on/off control.
DerbyChamp06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #839
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyChamp06 View Post
But I will be looking for some sort of kit that allows on/off control.
I'm fairly positive the On/Off ability will be built into the car. No need for a kit.

EDIT:
These are the production-intent lighting controls. You'll see there's an off selection to the left of the "auto" label.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #840
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Why is turning DLRs off such a big deal? I can see not seeing benefit in them, but what is the harm?...
i'm semi-okay with DRLs, it's just the auto headlights i don't like

Quote:
Originally Posted by SScattergunSS View Post
+1
I like being in control of everything, and hate when stuff is automatically done for me. Besides, I may want to sneak around, (why I don't know...but I may still want to) and you can't do that very well with a pair of fog lights glaring away!

Some of the guys feel confident there is a way to turn them off...I hope they're right.
same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
For me it was mainly when camping. I wanted to go get firewood or go for an early hike, come in after dark, whatever and ended up spot lighting everyone in the camp ground with my DRLs.
my current DRLs ain't that bright (i've got colored bulbs), but in the Camaro, it could be an issue like that. there's times when it's a pain for everybody else when you have your lights on & can't turn them off, like at drive-in movies, car shows, or coming home late & lighting up everybody's rooms. the deal with the auto system on my truck is that it was over-sensitive & my tint didn't help. it would activate sometimes just because the sun was behind me. problem fixed & hope i don't have to do the same on my brand-new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
DRLs are a safety issue, more than anything - plus, I don't want to risk getting in an accident and the insurance company denying my claim because my DRLS were bypassed.
- Xanthos
i'm responsible enough to turn on my lights when the need arises, but i prefer to have the ability to consciously decide when to use them. before my mod, the only reason a switch was even there was for when the truck was off
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote