Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #29
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsls3 View Post
Just recently had to give mine up due to being laid off (IT engineer). In august got the call company was sold go home everybody here was laid off. I just play call of duty, Marvel Hero's or my drums.

IT market sucks here in illinois
I'm sorry to hear that. Part of me is happy I didn't get the SS for that exact reason.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #30
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Hopefully you find a gig soon. I've been unemployed three times in my adult life; a one-month stint, another one-month stint, and then a five-month stint. Job interviews suck. Unemployment sucks.

I feel for you, brother. Best of luck.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #31
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Dont you mean "commifornia?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
um hate to tell you, but you aren't in that high of demand, the market is saturated with system admins.

additionally the annual pay for system and network admin positions has gone down nearly 25% in the past two years because there are so many of them out there and unemployed.

I've been a CTO for 8 plus years, I have a team of over 35 IT members from admins to analysts to programmers, and the pay for new hires is down 1/3 from what it was 2 years ago, and we are a $1+ billion a year company with over 1,500 retail outlets and a 40% online business penetration in our market.

Not trying to bring you down, but realistically you may find it harder to find employment than you think.. I watch the open positions quite regularly the market is not a open as you might think.

but then again I am in Kornifornia, maybe your area is different.. here's hoping.
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #32
SabotAndHeat

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ner View Post
I was out of work for almost 3 years, got a terrible job as a 'Configuration Technician' which is a glorified way of saying 'RAM install monkey', but it lead to a pretty sweet gig as a Systems Engineer after a year.

At least you had your finances ready, I owe my family a lot for the help I got during that 3 years.
"RAM install monkey" !

Ha !
SabotAndHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #33
Infinite-T

Drives: 2011 1LT RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thCamaro View Post
I am a union plumber, after my apprenticeship I was laid off (I saw the writing on the wall). I got laid off about a week after I had gotten engaged. I have an apartment that i have a mortgage and maintenance bill on (it's a co-op). I was out of work for 10 1/2 months with the union. I had picked up a job working for a gym equipment refurbishment company. The owner was a POS. I had to chase him everyweek. The job started 5 mins from home and he moved further out. I told him I would come along until he offered Me an extra 100 buck for gas each week (my jeep was a pig on gas). While I was working for him I went back to school and finished my degree in criminal justice. I quit that job because the owner was trying to d*ck me out of money. I went back to work about a month after that. Even still since then work is inconsistent. I bought my Camaro while I was out of work. I wanted an SS so bad, but the payment would have been around 500-600 a month. And being engaged with a wedding to pay for plus everyday bills hurts. I had to stay in budget. The only reason I bought my car when I did was because my jeep still had value, and it was the only way I would have been able to buy my Camaro. I do small jobs on the side, I fix computers, do home repairs, mount TVs etc. Plus I do security a few places as well. I'm trying to get a job on the police force, anywhere that will except me, I need something steady because my wife is now pregnant due with our first
In May-June. It sucks being out of work. I hate it, especially when everyone else you know is working. I sit in the house and try not to go anywhere to not spend $. I was fortunate enough to pick up a heritage grill from a member here last week that I installed yesterday. I had to get out of the house, working on my car helps me get through it, but is difficult without funding.

I feel your pain brother. I am an IBEW Wireman (commercial electrician). When I was an apprentice from 2006-2010 things weren't too bad. Even after the 2008 crash, I stayed pretty busy. I turned out december of 2010. Then got laid off May 2011. Then had work from Feb '11 thru Sept '11. then off again til feb '12, then on, then off again, etc etc. It is a huge drag sometimes. I spent nearly 5 years of school and work to learn a trade. I work HARD, I am no slacker and I do good work. Not to blow my own horn at all, but I have always been much liked and praised by my coworkers and supervisors. But being much liked doesnt help much when the project is over and there is nothing left to do. I enjoy the trade a lot, and love what I do. But the feeling of "will I have a job after Friday" constantly looming over your head is a very difficult thing to get used to. I HATE not working, it is boring, depressing, degrading, etc. So despite the obvious house/yard work, I help family and friends with things, tinker with my hobbies, games, and very important, try to get out of the house even for just a half hour a day so you dont get cabin fever. It is harder during the winter because of the weather.

To all who have gone through this, are going through it, and will go through it, keep your chin up, believe in yourself, do what you do and dont let the world get you down. You will be OK. Be smart with your money when you are busy so that if an when you are out, you arent over stretched financially. Especially for us tradesmen (and woman) who just go project to project, or sit at home when there are no projects to go to.. The skilled trades are one of the hardest hit by this crash and is still lagging very behind in the recovery, especially area to area.

Keep the faith, keep your chin up, and if you are lucky enough to have one of these bada$$ Camaros in your garage, make sure you enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
If you'd rather drive a civic that eats your soul than a camaro that eats your wallet then thats your choice.
Infinite-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #34
Sp00ner

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsls3 View Post
Just recently had to give mine up due to being laid off (IT engineer). In august got the call company was sold go home everybody here was laid off. I just play call of duty, Marvel Hero's or my drums.

IT market sucks here in illinois
Really? We spent 6 months trying to hire an associate level engineer, and have holes all over our IT department as people leave for higher and higher paying jobs.
Sp00ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #35
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite-T View Post
I feel your pain brother. I am an IBEW Wireman (commercial electrician). When I was an apprentice from 2006-2010 things weren't too bad. Even after the 2008 crash, I stayed pretty busy. I turned out december of 2010. Then got laid off May 2011. Then had work from Feb '11 thru Sept '11. then off again til feb '12, then on, then off again, etc etc. It is a huge drag sometimes. I spent nearly 5 years of school and work to learn a trade. I work HARD, I am no slacker and I do good work. Not to blow my own horn at all, but I have always been much liked and praised by my coworkers and supervisors. But being much liked doesnt help much when the project is over and there is nothing left to do. I enjoy the trade a lot, and love what I do. But the feeling of "will I have a job after Friday" constantly looming over your head is a very difficult thing to get used to. I HATE not working, it is boring, depressing, degrading, etc. So despite the obvious house/yard work, I help family and friends with things, tinker with my hobbies, games, and very important, try to get out of the house even for just a half hour a day so you dont get cabin fever. It is harder during the winter because of the weather.

To all who have gone through this, are going through it, and will go through it, keep your chin up, believe in yourself, do what you do and dont let the world get you down. You will be OK. Be smart with your money when you are busy so that if an when you are out, you arent over stretched financially. Especially for us tradesmen (and woman) who just go project to project, or sit at home when there are no projects to go to.. The skilled trades are one of the hardest hit by this crash and is still lagging very behind in the recovery, especially area to area.

Keep the faith, keep your chin up, and if you are lucky enough to have one of these bada$$ Camaros in your garage, make sure you enjoy it!
Thanks for your submission. My father in law was local 3 electrican and retired about 2 years ago. Constantly in and out of work. He's happy he retired and now works doing security for the local PD. It's a rough business.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #36
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rented Glint View Post
How are you affording a 2SS unemployed?
You think it's funny an unemployed guy has a 2SS, better sit down for meZL1).

Interesting thread. I lost my job three weeks after paying cash for a ZL1 back in July 2012. Not really a big deal though, I had started back to school in 2009 and had completed my AA at community college with the intention of transferring to big boy college in Aug 2010. I got distracted(making money) at work before I started at the four year, hence the ZL1. Anyway, so when I lost my job, I just picked up where I left off in school, except it didn't take me 15 years like it did the first go. So here I am 13 months to Graduation.

B.S. in Finance, specialization in Economics.(expected Dec 2012)
In the mean time spending this December studying my arse off for the GMAT.
Thinking of picking up a Six Sigma green belt along the way, I mean maybe a black belt, but most of those seem more credible once you have real projects you've worked on.

Last edited by 2012-1822; 10-24-2013 at 01:44 PM.
2012-1822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #37
The Ego

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I "had" to take voluntary redundancy back in July and have really struggled to find a job that would support my skill set.

However I got a call from out of the blue and have become an "extra" in two movies, its by no means a steady job, but pays very well and helps prevent the rot.
The Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #38
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ego View Post
I "had" to take voluntary redundancy back in July and have really struggled to find a job that would support my skill set.

However I got a call from out of the blue and have become an "extra" in two movies, its by no means a steady job, but pays very well and helps prevent the rot.
The movie part is cool. I knew a guy that made in U.S. Marshals back in the day. Although just the back side of him in the pharmacy scene reaching for something. More time than I've spent on film.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #39
tdp1

Drives: 2012 SS
Going Downtown to look for a job!
tdp1 is offline   Reply With Quote