Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #15
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakudog View Post
I've never heard of that happening, do you have some direct examples of boiled brake fluid blocking lines as an issue or is this just your hypothesis?
No, it is just that GM recommends dot 4 for the track vs. dot 3. I am guessing it is based on boiling point. I am not sure but wondering if the dot 3 began to break down from excessive boiling?
Old 09-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #16
himmy33
Go Cougs!

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
Was he able to drain ALL of the DOT 3 fluid? Did it mix with the new Motul fluid? New master cylinder time.
I'm not sure. My guess is that it mixed with with the Dot 3. Why do you say new master cylinder time?
himmy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:15 PM   #17
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakudog View Post
I've never heard of that happening, do you have some direct examples of boiled brake fluid blocking lines as an issue or is this just your hypothesis?
boiled fluid does not cause clogging or coagulation of the fluid...that is a guess from the one who posted
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:17 PM   #18
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
I was just asking if it was possible, sorry for the confusion.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:51 PM   #19
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by himmy33 View Post
Hey guys I was at the track the other day and my brakes failed. Best we could tell was vapor lock. I was using the original fluid so I'm sure it had some moisture in it. Anyway I took it to a local hot rod mechanic. Trusted guy who knows what he is doing. I was going to do it myself but did not have access to the Tech II machine or whatever it is to pulse the ABS to clear fluid through.

Later in the day he gives me a call and says he is having problems getting clean fluid to the passenger rear caliper almost like there is some type of obstruction. He used a power bleeder and still was unable to get clean fluid through. His friend who lets him borrow the Tech II machine is a GM mechanic and they called over to the East coast and talked to one of the head mechanics that works solely on these cars and Corvettes. That mechanic stated that it is a known problem when the cars are tracked and that the line may need to be replaced. GM has my VIN and have noted that it may need some warranty work regarding this.

He gave me the car back and told me to put it through same heavy braking and let him know how it feels and if its not right he will take it back and get it sorted out free of charge.

On the way home the pedal felt a little spongy but traffic didn't allow for proper heavy braking.The next day I put her through her paces and sure enough the brakes failed again.

I am dropping her off tomorrow and he will have it the next week and a half while I'm on vacation.

My question to you guys is has anyone experienced this before? What do you think?

The fluid was replaced with new Motul RBF 600. I am thinking of getting the Tick remote clutch speed bleeder to help rule things out.

PS: it should be noted that regular driving and even some hard stops the brakes work (feel a bit spongy but no horrible). But after repeated hard braking (smoking front passenger caliper) they fail.
How is installing a remote clutch bleeder going to help your brakes? Do you know what this is?
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:57 PM   #20
himmy33
Go Cougs!

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
The clutch and brakes use the same fluid and reservoir. Being that we could not get a clean bleed I am hoping this will help eliminate one of the variables and get all the old DOT 3 out. Plus it will just make it easier to bleed the clutch in the future allowing clean clutch fluid before a track day.
himmy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:06 PM   #21
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
The clutch and brakes use the same fluid and reservoir. Being that we could not get a clean bleed I am hoping this will help eliminate one of the variables and get all the old DOT 3 out. Plus it will just make it easier to bleed the clutch in the future allowing clean clutch fluid before a track day.
Putting a remote speed bleeder from Monster was one of the best mods I done, takes more time to pull out the Mity and compressor than to bleed the clutch. Literally about 40 secs.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:36 AM   #22
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Putting a remote speed bleeder from Monster was one of the best mods I done, takes more time to pull out the Mity and compressor than to bleed the clutch. Literally about 40 secs.
I really need to get a remote bleeder for the clutch as well. Just scared to mess with the tranny to do it. lol
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:19 AM   #23
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
I really need to get a remote bleeder for the clutch as well. Just scared to mess with the tranny to do it. lol
Speaking from experience, you certainly don't want to pull the trans just for a remote bleeder, I was already in there with new flywheel, clutch and slave cylinder.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #24
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
I'm not sure. My guess is that it mixed with with the Dot 3. Why do you say new master cylinder time?
The seals can possibly become contaminated by dissimilar fluids and may leak over a period of time. The brake pedal starts to feel spongy. That is what I was told when my brake guy changed and bled my system from Motul 600 to Castrol SRF.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:45 PM   #25
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
You can do it without pulling the trans

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=31
Old 09-10-2016, 10:26 PM   #26
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
The seals can possibly become contaminated by dissimilar fluids and may leak over a period of time. The brake pedal starts to feel spongy. That is what I was told when my brake guy changed and bled my system from Motul 600 to Castrol SRF.
Did your "guy" also try to sell you ocean front property in Arizona?? Just wondering?
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:11 PM   #27
Og Neon
Lover of Speed

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Thats not correct at all. Now you will have issues going from Dot 3/4 to Dot 5. Dot 5 is not compatible with OEM systems.
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:31 AM   #28
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
You can do it without pulling the trans

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=31
I know u can, but good luck.