Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-14-2017, 07:52 PM   #15
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I have been a long time customer of theirs. They are a small company with huge inventory and are usually slow to respond. Not many employees there. You probably talked to Alex? He is more of an engineer than a people person. I was very happy with my two piece rotors that I ordered and used briefly, then sold in order to have them build a set of carbon ceramic rotors for my car.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:56 AM   #16
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
I have been a long time customer of theirs. They are a small company with huge inventory and are usually slow to respond. Not many employees there. You probably talked to Alex? He is more of an engineer than a people person. I was very happy with my two piece rotors that I ordered and used briefly, then sold in order to have them build a set of carbon ceramic rotors for my car.
How are the Carbon Ceramic rotors working out on the track.

What was the cost?

I been replacing my front rotors ever season with stock replacements.

I use Racing Brakes Cobalt XR1 front pads and XR3 Rear pads.

I can outdrive the tires and the brakes at this point looking for options.

I am changing over to Toyo Trefeos today 295-35-20 all around.

Comments are welcome.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:13 PM   #17
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
How are the Carbon Ceramic rotors working out on the track.

What was the cost?

I been replacing my front rotors ever season with stock replacements.

I use Racing Brakes Cobalt XR1 front pads and XR3 Rear pads.

I can outdrive the tires and the brakes at this point looking for options.

I am changing over to Toyo Trefeos today 295-35-20 all around.

Comments are welcome.

Ted.
Hi Ted,

The brakes work really well. Once hot man they grab good repeatedly which is the advantage of CC rotors and pads. However the cost for these is really expensive. I was given the big discount because my car was used to make the kit. It was either this for stopping the car, or engine work. I was that told to check the pads after three track day weekends. Rotor wear must determined by weight with these discs. The other owners of higher priced cars that use them seem to have no wear issues with the rotors and they do lots of track days. Just pads being worn out. The majority of the cost of the Racing Brake kit initially is for the rotors which are larger than the Z/28 kit due to the extra weight of the ZL1. I wanted to try to adapt the Z/28 kit. But did this instead. The Trofeos may help with your braking.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:58 PM   #18
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
I had an initial issue with the parking brake rings separating from the hats in the rear, and they took care of it no problem. That was over 2 years ago and are still like new.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:47 PM   #19
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrichards73 View Post
I had an initial issue with the parking brake rings separating from the hats in the rear, and they took care of it no problem. That was over 2 years ago and are still like new.
I hope that doesn't happen to mine, I don't want to deal with their CS ever again. I've had them for about a year and haven't had any issues so I think I'll be ok. They do seem to be quite good quality.
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:16 PM   #20
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayno20 View Post
I hope that doesn't happen to mine, I don't want to deal with their CS ever again. I've had them for about a year and haven't had any issues so I think I'll be ok. They do seem to be quite good quality.
It was right away, like the rings were out of tolerance, so I'm sure you are good. I would never do handbrake turns with them though....

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:20 AM   #21
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
Hi Ted,

The brakes work really well. Once hot man they grab good repeatedly which is the advantage of CC rotors and pads. However the cost for these is really expensive. I was given the big discount because my car was used to make the kit. It was either this for stopping the car, or engine work. I was that told to check the pads after three track day weekends. Rotor wear must determined by weight with these discs. The other owners of higher priced cars that use them seem to have no wear issues with the rotors and they do lots of track days. Just pads being worn out. The majority of the cost of the Racing Brake kit initially is for the rotors which are larger than the Z/28 kit due to the extra weight of the ZL1. I wanted to try to adapt the Z/28 kit. But did this instead. The Trofeos may help with your braking.
I feel rotors will be a wear item along with the pads with track use no matter what they are made from.

The factory 2 piece rotors and Racing Brakes pad combination do very well.

Fade is not a problem until the pads get down to about 1/2 thickness.

I also run titanium shims behind the pads to shield the heat from the calipers.

I have added silicone seals and dust boots since I cooked the factory ones after only events.

This combination has worked very well for me and I am in the Advanced Run group with my club, 1 step down from Instructor.

I have been asked to be an instructor several times but declined, I don't feel comfortable in the Passenger seat with strangers.

I don't know if fancy rotors are cost effective investment so I am researching where I can, getting real feedback rather than a sales pitch.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote