Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
vdevine

Drives: 2010 Black SS
EAGLE EYES Passenger HALO Problems? **Please speak up here**

2 SETS SO FAR and the SAME PROBLEM with passenger HALO failure. For those who installed Eagle Eyes and also had HALO Failures on the Passenger side, can you please tell me if you noticed your HALO turning on for a split second before it would shut off completely. I wasn't sure if the failure was the CCFL light or the ballast until I saw the HALO ring come on briefly in the reflection from a window. If you've successfully replace with a different ballast, would love to hear from you too.

You may have to watch the video a couple of times to notice it coming on briefly. I think this confirms it's a defective ballast. Your thoughts?

The first set I installed, the HALO light stopped working after 5 minutes total on time. After taking the front clip off again, I shipped the defective unit back at my expense as well as paid for the return shipping. I reinstalled the *New* Eagle Eyes and the HALO worked. I put the car back together and it still worked immediately after putting the car back together. The first time I took it out to drive it and "again" the HALO was out.

Please chime in for those that had issues. The seller is sending some Camaro5 threads I forwarded to them about passenger Eagle Eye problems to the manufacturer.

Thanks,
Vincehttp://www.youtube.com/user/CamaroDe.../0/_y3Vh_PLAOQ
3800 Born: 25 May VIN#12136
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
vdevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
I don't have halos, but from looking at your video. It appears that you aren't getting enough power. Where did you splice your power source? Directly off the fuse block under the hood? I would use the power source from the interior fuse panel so they could shut off when the car is off. I used the same source for my fog lights.
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
todrules
Rollin' Green

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
I've had a problem with my passenger side halo. It wasn't quite like yours. Mine just stopped working altogether. I finally changed out the ballast today, and it now works!

I got my ballast from AAC. Here's the tricky part. I could never get the ballast out of the headlight assembly. I did eventually take off the front fascia and the headlight. So, I got a little lucky, and I was able to see two white wires that connected to the halos. They have a white connector on the end. I snagged them and taped them to the assembly, so I wouldn't lose them.

While I was fiddling around with the ballast, I noticed 2 more wires - one pink, one white. The connection on the end matched the connection to the 2 white wires. I ended up grabbing them with some needle-nose and pulling them off the fried ballast (which was still stuck inside the assembly). Then, I connected the 2 connectors and snaked out the pink and white wires outside the assembly. Next, I just wired together the pink and white wires with the Oracle ballast, and it worked!!

At least now, my ballast is outside my assembly, so if that goes bad, it should be an easy fix.

Let me know if you have any questions. I wasn't too sure how to fix this either and kind of got lucky.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
erk5000

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 SIM
vdevine it looks like your not getting a good connection or the right amount of power to your halo. Where and how are the halos spliced?
erk5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
vdevine

Todrules...thanks this is exactly the info I'm looking for from those that have the Eagle Eyes and have the problems.

Erk, I'm tied in to the directed parking lamps as required. All connections are soldered and very strong. As todrules showed, once the AAC ballast was installed it worked so power doesn't seem to be the problem. Others have replaced ballasts using AAC and passenger lights were restored.
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
vdevine are those TSW Cadwells? Sorry off topic, i just wanted to see more pics on a Camaro if those are Cadwells lol.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
todrules
Rollin' Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
vdevine are those TSW Cadwells? Sorry off topic, i just wanted to see more pics on a Camaro if those are Cadwells lol.
Wow, those are pretty sweet wheels.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
vdevine

Todrules...did you get a CCFL inverter or ballasts?
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
Old 04-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
todrules
Rollin' Green

I got "ORACLE XE CCFL Inverters (Pair)".
Old 04-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
starman

Drives: 2010 SS - LS3 - CGM
My passenger side halo did have a problem when I was installing it. After a bit of messing around, I ended up recrimping both the t-tap and quick-disconnect for the positive cable which finally did the trick. I'm leeching off the sidemarker power.

Ever since then, I haven't had any issues with the halo (about 2 months since the install.)

Injen Long-tube CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, Eagle Eye Headlights w/HIDs,
Sparks SS emblems, Unrestricted Motorsports Gen1 Spoiler, Vossen CV3 Wheels, Nitto Invos (275/40-20)x4

starman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
I agree with a previous post. It appears you are not getting enough power. Check all the connections ect.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:48 AM   #12
H3LL1ON
H3LL1ON

Drives: 2010 1LT Camaro Synergy Green
My passenger side halo also gave up. It will light up for about 5-7 secs then dies and i can repeat the sequence over and over. I put AAC dual halos in the Eagle Eyes also because i had very little faith in those ccfl halos.

I had wanted to use the ccfl halo as a difuser but could not due to the embedded silver backing reflector on the halo :[ and the led halos being too large in circumfrence to sit in the groove/channel where the ccfl sits. I mounted the led halos overtop of ccfl ring and then wanted to use the white light to bleed past and create a diffused and brighter halo look. Not!

End Story: Never hooked up the ccfl halos and i just run the dual amber/white AAC led halos and with fogs done too. If you buy the eagle eyes lights do not count on the ccfl halos imo.

EDIT: I may try todrules idea and see if i take off the wheel and liner and can get at the wiring thru the rubber shield hole.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #13
vdevine

Replacing with Oracle Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by todrules View Post
I got "ORACLE XE CCFL Inverters (Pair)".

Todrules...since you installed the Oracle Inverters, please advise more about the connections. Does the "dual" wire (can't tell if pink or white) connector from Oracle match up to the existing "single" connector for each of the 2 connections? See photos. I'm also trying to determine if I would be able to do this through the rubber access portal in the rear of the light without removing the front end and by just removing the wheel and wheel well? In hindsight, could you have done this?
Picture appears to be from someone who has heated and opened the case but does show wiring colors etc. Can you help explain further about the connectors?
Attached Images

6000 Mine 26 June 2009
Old 04-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #14
xpanda305x
Banned

Drives: Dark Knight
i have the same problems what is the fix. i think my halo is messed up if you see my video which im getting mine replace.

here look

xpanda305x is offline   Reply With Quote