Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 12-23-2009, 05:44 PM   #15
Gunmetal

Drives: Cyber Grey 1SS/RS w/Body Kit
Could you imagine this car at 3000 lbs?
Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:03 AM   #16
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Drives: Long Distances
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal View Post
Could you imagine this car at 3000 lbs?
A 6th gen Camaro built off the Alpha platform should yield a lighter car. By then one would think/expect better fuel efficiency should be possible with same/better power as the current car and an available performance suspension package option.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:10 AM   #17
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
I think you would have to sell more than 500 to make it profitable, and GM is kinda interested in profits at the moment.

Keep in mind, as I have said before in similar threads, every time you make something specific to a certain version of camaro, you increase the cost of ALL models of Camaros because it is one more part you have to stock, or one different step on a streamlined assembly, or one different wiring harness, etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:28 AM   #18
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
I think you would have to sell more than 500 to make it profitable, and GM is kinda interested in profits at the moment.

Keep in mind, as I have said before in similar threads, every time you make something specific to a certain version of camaro, you increase the cost of ALL models of Camaros because it is one more part you have to stock, or one different step on a streamlined assembly, or one different wiring harness, etc etc.
They could share parts from the Fleet division e.g. police vehicles. Those fleet vehicles usually have heavy duty suspensions, different no-frills wheel/tire packages, heavy duty brakes, HD alternator, HD battery, and XM and Onstar delete options.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #19
Morepwr
woohoo

Drives: Silverado, 70cutlass, 57chevy&more
Quote:
Originally Posted by brjray View Post
Isn't the Corvette over 3000 lbs?
about 3200lbs
Old 12-24-2009, 02:24 PM   #20
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
Quote:
If they put Brembos on the V6 can they at least make them stop squeeking? My sisters 2ss sounds like Jeff Gordon pulling into the pits whenever she stops.

Didn't they make the suspension parts on the old 1LE available from GM Performance parts as an upgrade to non 1LE cars?
Yes, you could buy the parts over the counter IF you knew the part numbers. Back in 98-02 not many people did because the internet wasnt known so it was basically a back door type of order. Only way to know what it was, you had to have an inside guy.

1LE option would be amazing. Give the Camaro a "track pack" and watch how many people will check the box. I read somewhere that Ford is expecting like 20k orders of the track pack. That is A LOT of extra cash going into the car.

Also, they are Brembos!! They will squeak. That means they are working. Cant have awesome braking without the noise. Either take the noise or get worse braking.

BTW, Had a ZR1 pull up next to me about 3 weeks ago and talk about loud braking. However, they stop in an ungodly amount of time.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #21
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesZ View Post
They could share parts from the Fleet division e.g. police vehicles. Those fleet vehicles usually have heavy duty suspensions, different no-frills wheel/tire packages, heavy duty brakes, HD alternator, HD battery, and XM and Onstar delete options.
Heavy duty suspensions does not a sports car maketh.

Other than that, yeah they have Onstar delete options in these vehicles, but what I am saying is that changing even a minor thing like not having onstar and maybe not having power heated mirrors would require possibly a different wiring harness. The factory would also have to stock extra parts that they don't normally have.

If the '1LE' had no radio/XM/onstar, they would need to stock another roof panel that didn't have a hole stamped in it for the shark fin, or they would have to develop a 'plug' for the hole, and then that's ANOTHER part that they have to research and make.

No power windows means you'd need a different wiring harness and you would also have to have 2 different types of door panels: Ones with holes for power window buttons, and ones with no holes for power window buttons but holes for window cranks.

And any time that GM deviates from the norm and makes another option, the process gets one step less streamlined. Losing efficiency and having to take extra time installing different wiring harnesses and making sure you have enough non-power window door panels costs GM more money per car. This cost gets passed on to everyone buying ANY type of camaro.

As the Fbodfather has said on here before, when the Camaro was still in development, the accountants were almost getting into fistfights over items that were raising the production costs by a few cents.

For the very small amount of people that would want a 'stripper' car like the OP is suggesting and I am commenting on, GM will not turn a profit on it, and the money they lose on such a venture will get passed on to my fellow Camaro buyers.

Now on the topic of a TRACK-PACK: Yeah if GM wanted to make something like that availiable as an option on EVERY model of Camaro, I could see that turning a profit, because it is something available to everyone ordering a Camaro

Quote:
Old 12-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #22
bballr4567

Rental fleet cars already have the onstar delete in them so they are already stocking the parts.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #23
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
Heavy duty suspensions does not a sports car maketh.

Other than that, yeah they have Onstar delete options in these vehicles, but what I am saying is that changing even a minor thing like not having onstar and maybe not having power heated mirrors would require possibly a different wiring harness. The factory would also have to stock extra parts that they don't normally have.

If the '1LE' had no radio/XM/onstar, they would need to stock another roof panel that didn't have a hole stamped in it for the shark fin, or they would have to develop a 'plug' for the hole, and then that's ANOTHER part that they have to research and make.

No power windows means you'd need a different wiring harness and you would also have to have 2 different types of door panels: Ones with holes for power window buttons, and ones with no holes for power window buttons but holes for window cranks.

And any time that GM deviates from the norm and makes another option, the process gets one step less streamlined. Losing efficiency and having to take extra time installing different wiring harnesses and making sure you have enough non-power window door panels costs GM more money per car. This cost gets passed on to everyone buying ANY type of camaro.

As the Fbodfather has said on here before, when the Camaro was still in development, the accountants were almost getting into fistfights over items that were raising the production costs by a few cents.

For the very small amount of people that would want a 'stripper' car like the OP is suggesting and I am commenting on, GM will not turn a profit on it, and the money they lose on such a venture will get passed on to my fellow Camaro buyers.

Now on the topic of a TRACK-PACK: Yeah if GM wanted to make something like that availiable as an option on EVERY model of Camaro, I could see that turning a profit, because it is something available to everyone ordering a Camaro
By heavy duty suspension I was referring to parts such as sway bars that improve handling...these parts are standard in police vehicles that need to maintain handling at high speeds. And that my man is VERY MUCH part of what makes a sports car! If you don't know that, then there is no sense commenting further. As for the 1LE option, GM's fleet division already has parts that could be used. Really, it would not be that difficult to put together the package.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:55 PM   #24
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesZ View Post
By heavy duty suspension I was referring to parts such as sway bars that improve handling...these parts are standard in police vehicles that need to maintain handling at high speeds. And that my man is VERY MUCH part of what makes a sports car! If you don't know that, then there is no sense commenting further. As for the 1LE option, GM's fleet division already has parts that could be used. Really, it would not be that difficult to put together the package.
Hey sorry I misunderstood you through the magic of internet typing. I take "Heavy Duty" suspension to mean that it takes more of a beating and is actually made for supporting a heavier weight (Like on a truck or all the extra weight of police gear).

And I am not saying they don't already have some of the parts they might need. I am also not saying it wouldn't be easy to put together. It is relatively easy to get some new parts made in the grand scheme of things.

What I am saying is that it will be difficult to make a profit off of the low sales volume that having such an option would generate. And that more diversity equals a higher cost for all Camaro models.

I think that suspension/performance wise, GM would do best by mimicing Ford and making a Track-Pack type option that adds handling components and maybe some shorter gearing. Not a whole lot of people are interested in taking options like A/C off their cars anymore.

GM isn't really jumping back into low volume niche vehicles/models right now. They need to make a profit before they can start playing this game. If they could make niche vehicles, we'd know cause the Z/28 would be announced already.

Quote:
Old 12-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #25
bballr4567

Cant make niche vehicles but they are making the CTS Wagon and the CTS Coupe along with V variants of both? If that isnt niche I dont know what is.

I do see what you are saying though.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:36 PM   #26
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
Cant make niche vehicles but they are making the CTS Wagon and the CTS Coupe along with V variants of both? If that isnt niche I dont know what is.

I do see what you are saying though.
I didn't know the wagon was a go. Interesting. And maybe I am wrong but I thought the CTS coupe was confirmed before all the bankruptcy stuff, so that's why it's a go?

As far as having 'V' variants though, that's not a big deal because it is just an engine, tranny, suspension they already are putting in the sedan version. No added development costs really. The parts are already made, they are already stocked and the workers already know how to install them.

Quote:
Old 12-24-2009, 10:41 PM   #27
bballr4567

Exactly.

If all these private companies can do the suspension for the Zeta cars GM can certainly afford to do it. Its a few bushings and suspension components.

Anyways, I doubt GM will do a track pack because they most certainly have their blinders on right now. The Camaro is outselling the Mustang for the moment but who knows what is going to happen in a few months.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:42 PM   #28
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
As an Engineer, I would be itching to hone this car for such a task.
As an engineer, wouldn't you rather do this yourself by comparing available products for the best results? I figure that GM makes great engines and designs beautiful cars. I don't expect GM to build the best racing suspension. I'd put that standard on the likes of Pedders. I also don't expect GM to engineer the world's best exhaust system. I'll put that standard on the likes of Magnaflow. In other words, I'd like to see what kind of a car you would build for the same money that you could have spent on a 1LE or Z28. As an engineer, wouldn't you trust yourself do the best research and product comparisons?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote