Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 07-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #4985
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I guess it's time for another chapter in my car. 'Gotta add it to my OP. The build might be a hoot. Torque specs, tips, ideas, problems, ...... injuries.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #4986
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
That Video is just plain scary...WoW...
Old 07-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #4987
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
427 NA 650 crank and sell the blower to cover part of the rebuild costs.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #4988
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
That's been my thoughts on this too
Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter.....and now a 3.91 1LE diff
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #4989
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
"enjoy it while you can you slow ass Corvette" haha, love that comment! lmao!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #4990
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
After watching that video I bet your car is fast you have a supercharger lol

YES I know I honestly cant think of a thing to say right now this thread and that video make my head hurt.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #4991
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5journal View Post
That's been my thoughts on this too
The difference in cost for a 427 over a 419 for whatever reason is about what I could get for the blower.

The 419 is an LS3 block. The 427 means LSX and I suppose they are really proud of those letters. haha

For whatever reason the 427 adds about 2500.00 to everything I have found. 419 is the biggest bore I can find without jumping up a lot of money. I have to be able to use my heads as well. Plus, the sronger internals make using the blower safe and keeps my power with adding a little more using the added displacement.

Or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Old 07-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #4992
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
After watching that video I bet your car is fast you have a supercharger lol

YES I know I honestly cant think of a thing to say right now this thread and that video make my head hurt.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #4993
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
The difference in cost for a 427 over a 419 for whatever reason is about what I could get for the blower.

The 419 is an LS3 block. The 427 means LSX and I suppose they are really proud of those letters. haha

LS3 is an aluminum block
LSX is an iron block...... rated to 2500hp i believe at a certain wall width.... so a bit more than the letters. hahahaha
I think the LSX can technically be bored and stroked to a 511 small block...

that sounds fun
Old 07-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #4994
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
X2

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #4995
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I went round and round about 18 months or so ago about this exact scenario... 419 keeping the maggie, or 427 and go TT. I really wanted to do a monster car, so I went 427 LSX TT. I WISH I could have afforded an aluminum 427 block for the weight savings, but it was just too much more money.

If you are not going to wish you could eventually go with REALLY REALLY REALLY big power and you want to keep the maggie, then I think the aluminum block (417, 419 whatevs) is the way to go. Those engines are close to 200 lbs lighter than the 427 LSX.

While your maggie will work with a 427, it just doesn't have the size to really push that much displacement to its potential. The maggie is really nice for the 6.2L, but get too much bigger than that and it just can't make enough psi.

I've discovered building engines and the rest of the car is a balancing act. It's crucial that the blower matches the engine (and that the engine should have the right compression ratio...make sure you get an engine built for a blower). It's also important to make sure you upgrade the rest of the car to match the power the engine is making or you'll not be able to make full use of the power.

I think you are wise to go with the 419 forged aluminum block with the maggie. Oh and save some money for beefier axles and driveshaft... maybe a tranny... If you want a car that is for the street primarily and just an occasional trip to the track, then I think that's the way to go.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:31 AM   #4996
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
LS3 is an aluminum block
LSX is an iron block...... rated to 2500hp i believe at a certain wall width.... so a bit more than the letters. hahahaha
I think the LSX can technically be bored and stroked to a 511 small block...

that sounds fun
You know what, Chris had told me that. I forgot, so fair enough. But still jumps into a bigger price level than I'm willing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I went round and round about 18 months or so ago about this exact scenario... 419 keeping the maggie, or 427 and go TT. I really wanted to do a monster car, so I went 427 LSX TT. I WISH I could have afforded an aluminum 427 block for the weight savings, but it was just too much more money.

If you are not going to wish you could eventually go with REALLY REALLY REALLY big power and you want to keep the maggie, then I think the aluminum block (417, 419 whatevs) is the way to go. Those engines are close to 200 lbs lighter than the 427 LSX.

While your maggie will work with a 427, it just doesn't have the size to really push that much displacement to its potential. The maggie is really nice for the 6.2L, but get too much bigger than that and it just can't make enough psi.

I've discovered building engines and the rest of the car is a balancing act. It's crucial that the blower matches the engine (and that the engine should have the right compression ratio...make sure you get an engine built for a blower). It's also important to make sure you upgrade the rest of the car to match the power the engine is making or you'll not be able to make full use of the power.

I think you are wise to go with the 419 forged aluminum block with the maggie. Oh and save some money for beefier axles and driveshaft... maybe a tranny... If you want a car that is for the street primarily and just an occasional trip to the track, then I think that's the way to go.
Yup I remember. I'd have plenty of fun with the power that a mildly blown 419 would give me. They do have a 427 in an LS3 aluminum block that I could do a NA car with (like Pete said) but even at 650 chp I'd be losing power.

of course if I go with more displacement then I'll need new headers. Ugh.......
Old 07-30-2013, 12:55 AM   #4997
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I guess it's time for another chapter in my car. 'Gotta add it to my OP. The build might be a hoot. Torque specs, tips, ideas, problems, ...... injuries.

Everybody needs a hobby, seems some have to hobby more than others!
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #4998
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
I'm starting a fund to help Randy. He's going to need one of these after he's done.
Attached Images

Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro of the week, the circle