Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Pfadt Sway Bar Comparisons

Hey everyone,

Since we have a handful of different sway bar options available for the Camaro 5th gen now, we have been getting frequent requests for us to explain the relative differences between them.

So, we listened and put together a simple to read relative comparison between the OEM sway bars, and all of our Pfadt offerings. It is scaled so the user can see where some of them cross over, and what kind of balance one can achieve with the different combinations of adjustments etc. There has been some misinformation recently about comparisons using formulas that have no direct influence on the end user. We will not give you information that mis-leads anyone. Also, I have included a brief weight list as well to highlight the importance of how we engineer products.

The chart below is a result of calculating the roll stiffness of the actual front and rear suspension, respectively. Calculating the strength of a straight line bar has no bearing on how it affects the balance of the Camaro. All of the comparisons below are relative to each other and are derived by normalizing the roll stiffness figures relative to the OEM FE3 front bar, and factoring to show scale. This way, the scale is not completely arbitrary and it can be viewed in terms of "relative percentage" differences.

These figures can not be compared to any other manufactures figures, but is meant as a comparison of Pfadt and OEM products only. It will illustrate the trends that we engineer with all of our sway bars. It is important to get the front to rear balance correct, and using this information below, you can decide which package it right for you.

Weights:

Front ARB:

OE FE3 Weight - 7.5 lb
Pfadt Sport ARB - 10.6 lb
Pfadt Race ARB - 8.25 lb

Rear ARB

OE FE3 Weight - 5 lb
Pfadt Balance Bar - 16.5 lb
Pfadt Sport ARB - 12.25 lb
Pfadt Race Bar - 10.1 lb

Pfadt Balance Bar:

Engineered to create a much more desirable balance at an entry level price, the Balance bar is an excellent choice for occasional drag racers or auto-xers as well, who are looking for an effective mod that won't break the bank. This product, as seen on the chart above, brings the front to rear roll stiffness values into a better range of one another, eliminating excessive understeer, and delivers performance handling the way it should have been from the factory! This is why this bar, in conjunction with our 1.25" lowering springs, is the package of choice for GM dealerships that install these on all their 5th Gen Camaro stock.

Pfadt Sport Sway Bars:

Engineered from a front and rear solution perspective, we knew that we needed to not only get the balance perfect, but also dial out excessive body roll at the same time, by increasing the overall rates of both bars. Utilizing precision machined rear adjustable ends, this package gives the user the opportunity to adjust their balance, according to other supporting mods you may have that influence balance, like springs, wider tires etc. These bars also give you the means to keep modding your suspension, and still allow for you to keep the same overall balance you desire. This is the bar set that really lays down the performance, as it, in addition to our 1.25" lowering springs only, resulted in a FIRST PLACE at the Camaro5 Fest autocross street tire competition. Only 5th Gen Camaros competed, only Pfadt suspension was featured on all of the winning vehicles. Again, using the charts above, you can see that you will get an aggressive balance that is needed for performance handling, but also be able to dial it back to suit your understeer/neutral/oversteer preference.

Pfadt Competition Sway Bars:

This set of bars is the ultimate for anyone with a competition mindset. Featured on the American Iron racing series Camaro that took all three wins and even a track record at BIR in Minnesota. Unique to Pfadt, is the super light, 3-piece rear adjustable sway bar design gives the user all of the adjustability you will need for street use, and competition. Using the charts above, you will see the adjustment range is greater, giving you even more means to fine tune the balance for street cars or all-out race cars. Let's face it, everyone knows our reputation was built in racing, winning national Championships, working with Camaro race teams and providing actual engineered solutions to suspension components. These Competition Race Sway bars are no exception and represent the lightest, more proven Camaro race sway bars set to date. These come with our heavy duty Camaro Endlink package as well, so you can dial in half-steps for precise balance tuning.

Any more questions please let us know. We are here to help people understand the differences, and inform you so you can choose what is best for your Camaro. All of these products are street worthy, and will give you an amazing performance increase whether you are truly racing frequently, or simply looking for a fantastic feel on the street when taking turns!

Last edited by PfadtRacing; 09-10-2010 at 11:02 AM.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Great write-up! Thanks for breaking it down for a simple person

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
That is great info to put out there. That will help a lot of people, thanks!
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Thanks Pfadt. I'm using the sport bars and ther great
Old 07-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Silver Ice

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss-rs
I also have the sport sway bars. Love them. Might be doin the drop springs soon.
Silver Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
TCao

Drives: 2010 2SS RS, 2007 FJC
Quick question. Can the the front sport ARB be used with the rear Race ARB? From the chart, it looks like hole 2 of the Race version is a little stiffer than hole 2 on the rear Sport but not as stiff as hole 3 of the Sport ARB.

TCao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCao View Post
Quick question. Can the the front sport ARB be used with the rear Race ARB? From the chart, it looks like hole 2 of the Race version is a little stiffer than hole 2 on the rear Sport but not as stiff as hole 3 of the Sport ARB.

Certainly. But if the goal was to get the rear roll stiffness halfway between hole 2 and 3 on the rear sport bar, just take a half-step by installing one end in hole 2, and one end in hole 3. That is presuming you have adjustable endlinks (which I know you do).

But for what it is worth, we do sell the rear competition bar separately. But like I said, if the goal is simply that one step, you can achieve that on your current bar.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
PfadtRacing

Thanks for all of the other comments guys!
Old 07-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #9
tjd24
Thank you Oshawa/St.Cats!

Drives: was 2010 2LT RS 2G1FC1EV4A9103434
I've had the Sport Sway Bars installed since January on my Daily Driver - noticed the difference immediately as the Camaro feels like its on rails in a curve/cloverleaf highway enterance. Previous understeer feeling also gone.

Thanks Aaron, Team Pfadt and East Coast Supercharging's Chris and Doug for the install.
#3434 Born 4-15-2009, Delivered 5-22-2009 BBOMG 2/3/4 - Traded-in 8/31/2019:
tjd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
That is great information and the rear race bar looks very good.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
SSINSTR
Michelin Man Assassin

Drives: '10 IBM 2SS/RS LS3
Great writeup and graphics, I just have one question...

If you say that the balance between the front and rear sways is key, then wouldn't the balance bar be the best bet on a car with stock wheels and tires? Now correct me if I am wrong but besides the sport bars being stiffer overall (which I'm sure is a benefit from a body roll standpoint) it looks like the rear balance bar has the better front/back stiffness ratio. The way I'm reading it, one would have to set the rear sport bar halfway in between the 2nd and 3rd hole in order to achieve the same ratio that the balance bar does with the FE3 front bar.

I understand the adjustable ones allow for fine tuning of your car's handling characteristics once you add more mods, different wheels/tires ect. I like the idea of adjustability but my last car had an adjustable rear sway bar and after I installed it I didn't touch it.

What I'm getting at is with stock wheels and tires and drop springs only, wouldn't the rear balance bar handle just as well as the adjustable sports set to medium stiffness (hole 2)?
Old 07-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #12
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSINSTR View Post
Great writeup and graphics, I just have one question...

If you say that the balance between the front and rear sways is key, then wouldn't the balance bar be the best bet on a car with stock wheels and tires? Now correct me if I am wrong but besides the sport bars being stiffer overall (which I'm sure is a benefit from a body roll standpoint) it looks like the rear balance bar has the better front/back stiffness ratio. The way I'm reading it, one would have to set the rear sport bar halfway in between the 2nd and 3rd hole in order to achieve the same ratio that the balance bar does with the FE3 front bar.
You hit the nail on the head, all of our bars can achieve what we recommend for balance between front and rear. But with that said, the Sport Bars have more overall roll stiffness, front and rear, and the Race bars even more than that. I wouldn't say the balance bar has the "better" front to back stiffness ratio. You can achieve the same relative ratio with both the Sport bars and Race bars. But we realize that not everyone prefers what we recommend for front to rear balance ratio. So this is where the adjustability comes into play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSINSTR View Post
I understand the adjustable ones allow for fine tuning of your car's handling characteristics once you add more mods, different wheels/tires ect. I like the idea of adjustability but my last car had an adjustable rear sway bar and after I installed it I didn't touch it.

What I'm getting at is with stock wheels and tires and drop springs only, wouldn't the rear balance bar handle just as well as the adjustable sports set to medium stiffness (hole 2)?
The rear balance bar was engineered to utilize the front sway bar effectively to correct the balance more towards performance handling. That is not to say there is anything wrong with it stock, but like many other things on the new Camaro; it is not optimal. The Rear Balance Bar would have the same relative front to rear balance, as the Sport Bars with rear set halfway from hole 2 to 3, but it would not utilize the added roll-stiffness that is a major benefit of the Sport Bars.

Thank you very much for the questions, I hope I made it a little clearer!
Old 07-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo1 View Post
That is great information and the rear race bar looks very good.
Thank you!
Old 07-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #14
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd24 View Post
I've had the Sport Sway Bars installed since January on my Daily Driver - noticed the difference immediately as the Camaro feels like its on rails in a curve/cloverleaf highway enterance. Previous understeer feeling also gone.

Thanks Aaron, Team Pfadt and East Coast Supercharging's Chris and Doug for the install.
Anytime. Glad we can help.