Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 03-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #15
SCCA-SS
IBM SS in my fantasies.

Drives: '99 Bonneville
Send a message via Yahoo to SCCA-SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
I would not road race my Camaro SS. I would love to run it around a track for fun (not racing other cars). But I wouldn't want to risk a real road race around a track.
I feel the same way. The risk of someone else's lack of experience doesn't make me feel comfortable. Have you run your GTO at any road courses?
SCCA-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #16
SVThis

Drives: 2013 1LE 1SS Victory Red 1 of 76
I've autocrossed F Bodies for the past 30 years and currently run an 02 Z28. I have my doubts about the 5th Gen being competitive in the stock class or street prepared category for that matter. I think the big killer could be weight. Plus it will be some time before R compounds will be available in appropriate sizes. I hate to say it but the Mustang is probably the still the car to have, at least for stock class autocross. Then again hopefully I'm wrong.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #17
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
In the 10+ years I've owned my 98 SS, I've done drag racing, autoX and road racing. I've stopped drag racing completely and haven't autoX'ed in a good few years since I jyust don't get the same thrill from these as I do road racing the car.
... and that's not a put-down of drag racing or autoX, since having done my share of these events over the years, I can truly appreciate the different skill sets necessary for those activities!
Until you get your car out on a road course, I don't believe you will ever appreciate the capabilities that are built into these cars. I know that my 4th Gen SS raises a lot of eyebrows and surprises a lot of people when I participate in a road course event and I would definitely look forward to experiencing the increased capabilities of the 5th Gen.

For those who might be fearful of taking your car out on a road course and smashing it up, there are definitely ways to do this that are safer than driving on a crowded interstate IMHO...

1)Take a novice track school! These are very controlled and geared towards the beginner who has never done it before. You will no doubt have an instructor riding with you at all times (at least at the beginning of the day!) until youare "signed off" to go solo.

2) After a track school or 2, you may decide to participate in a "lapping day". This is a non-competitive event and you are not gonna be trading paint with anybody! Everyone is out to have a good time while keeping it safe. Some events allow controlled passing, others do not. The idea is to stay within your own comfort level while learning the capabilities and limits of your driving skills and abilities as well as the limits of your car. The great thing about these days is that you never stop learning! There is always someone there who is a better driver than you are. Ask to ride along with that person or have him/her ride shotgun with you and provide some advanced instruction!

3) If you want to compete, you can do that safely as well. These events are called "Solo Sprint" events here in Canada and they work on the basis of the morning usually being reserved for open lapping to become familiar with the track. In the afternoon, the competitive "time trials" take place. You and one other driver are on the course at the same time with one driver having a 30 second head start... and hopefully nobody catches the other driver! It's you and the stop watch! One warm-up lap, then 3 hot laps followed by 1 cool-down lap. Your best lap time of the 3 hot laps counts in the competition. Sure, you don't get the thrill of driving in a pack of cars, but you might not feel comfortable doing that in a competition. Besides, you can experience that on a lapping day.

Here's a taste of a lapping day on Mosport International Raceway's Grand Prix track- I'm driving the silver Camaro right in front of the camera car. It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!

... and here's a little autoX action from the old days...

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 03-09-2009, 06:53 PM   #18
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
And that's why my 98 z is being built up.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #19
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Thanks Elie! I hope to get in on some open track days. Sad to hear this won't be any good at autocross. This weight and low visibility thing is really starting to annoy me.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:43 AM   #20
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Thanks Elie! I hope to get in on some open track days. Sad to hear this won't be any good at autocross. This weight and low visibility thing is really starting to annoy me.
So just be a bit picky about which events to participate in! Try staying away from the short, tighter layouts that favor the Miatas, S2000s etc.
We have a local Corvette club in Toronto that has managed to grab a huge suburban commuter parking lot for their events and they lay out some pretty good courses that are geared towards the larger, higher horsepower cars rather than the smaller 4 cyl. import types. Not as many tight turns that are close together and some decent straightaways. I would get into 3rd gear on these layouts! (with 4.10s, mind you)

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 03-10-2009, 02:52 PM   #21
2SSONLY

Drives: FAST!

Sorry NASCAR fans, but I'm NHRA all the way. I'll take the HP of a nitro car (more HP in one cylinder than in the whole engine of a stock car). Plus, who wouldn't want to go 400 MPH?

My biggest disappointment with the 2SS is that is doesn't come with an auto trani just for that reason. Won't be able to drag with it 'cept with the stick shifters.

Couldn't lower myself (ha ha) to go with the 1SS just for draggn. Pretty bummed I even had to chose.

Typical of my shopping experiences, know exactly what I want but can't get it!
2SSONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #22
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSONLY View Post

Sorry NASCAR fans, but I'm NHRA all the way. I'll take the HP of a nitro car (more HP in one cylinder than in the whole engine of a stock car). Plus, who wouldn't want to go 400 MPH?

My biggest disappointment with the 2SS is that is doesn't come with an auto trani just for that reason. Won't be able to drag with it 'cept with the stick shifters.

Couldn't lower myself (ha ha) to go with the 1SS just for draggn. Pretty bummed I even had to chose.

LOL Just pretend you are in a old pro-stock car and drag with it anyway..NHRA!!!!!!!!!!
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #23
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:

Hmmm I never said nascar. I was talkin about nasa american iron, 24 hrs at le mans or something along those lines.

What's the good in all that power if you can't turn around? And what even more reasoning everyone of those engines has to be torn down and rebuilt after every pass. Fun to work ratio doesn't add up.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #24
SCCA-SS
IBM SS in my fantasies.

Drives: '99 Bonneville
Send a message via Yahoo to SCCA-SS
Quote:

Just configure the auto trans model the way you want. A cam, headers & tune will be a big help (& big punishment for the trans).
SCCA-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #25
2SSONLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCA-SS View Post
Just configure the auto trans model the way you want. A cam, headers & tune will be a big help (& big punishment for the trans).
This one's for investment and fun (2SS). Once I get it paid off, I'll find a rail. There's plenty out there. Just was looking to have a ton of fun in street class against all the Dodges at the track. You know, settle that argument once and for all.

Mopar
Old 03-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #26
2SSONLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
What's the good in all that power if you can't turn around? And what even more reasoning everyone of those engines has to be torn down and rebuilt after every pass. Fun to work ratio doesn't add up.
Still, you can't argue with those Gs! Awesome! Can you say head restraint!
Old 03-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #27
2SSONLY

b'sides, you can't beat those Gs. Awesome! What a launch. Can you say head restraint?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:22 PM   #28
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Um, the 2SS does offer an automatic...

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote