Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 07-16-2013, 12:52 AM   #15
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
Wow, you did a great job! I have curb rash on mine that was caused by the previous owner I would love to try this, but don't know if I'd have the guts to
Old 07-16-2013, 12:56 AM   #16
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey64 View Post
Wow, you did a great job! I have curb rash on mine that was caused by the previous owner I would love to try this, but don't know if I'd have the guts to

Thank you!

I was hesitant at first as well but figured what the hell. Like I said worst case if it doesn't come out good take it to a wheel repair guy.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:41 AM   #17
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Wow, what damage? They look great
Old 07-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #18
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Wow, what damage? They look great
Ha ha thanks man. Crappy phone can't get the bad spots. It really is hard to see the areas that are not perfect even in person. Like I said with more time you could get them perfect or darn close.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:57 AM   #19
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
Those pics lol

I was just saving some spots for pics man. Now you can check it out.
Ok. You did a very good job of repairing your wheels. They do not even look like they where damaged.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:05 AM   #20
Casperadub70

Drives: 2014 1LE Camaro, 95 Z28 Camaro
What curb rash? Great job
2014 1LE 2SS Camaro Recaro seats, Custom Cam, Kooks LT headers, CAI intake, Z/28 Spoiler, Z/28 Belly Pan, Z/28 Brake Air Ducts, Stainless Steel breaklines, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing Arms resulting in 482.49 RWHP
Casperadub70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:00 AM   #21
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Nice job..I've used a dremel before too and wheels respond pretty well as they are soft. More should try this, nothing to lose...you really can't make it worse!
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #22
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Looks great. I have a wheel that needs a little attention. I wonder how difficult it will be to do with the tire on?

The polished wheels have a clear coat on them, right? I wonder what's going to happen in the areas where you ground, sanded and polished the clear coat off?
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #23
marine_142
Mark

Drives: 2011 IOM SS/RS
I thought the RS wheels were painted?

http://www.camaro5.com/piant-code-for-the-rs-wheels/

I had some small road rash (previous owner) and tried to sand it down such as what the OP did. It appeared the wheel was made of clear coat, midnight silver paint, dark primer, alumimum.

just wondering if this is same same.
marine_142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #24
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyroger View Post
Ok. You did a very good job of repairing your wheels. They do not even look like they where damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casperadub70 View Post
What curb rash? Great job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Nice job..I've used a dremel before too and wheels respond pretty well as they are soft. More should try this, nothing to lose...you really can't make it worse!
ya more people should try it. Especially with the polish wheels or even MS wheels with light scratches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post
Looks great. I have a wheel that needs a little attention. I wonder how difficult it will be to do with the tire on?

The polished wheels have a clear coat on them, right? I wonder what's going to happen in the areas where you ground, sanded and polished the clear coat off?
post a pic of your damage. It depends on where the damage is and how bad it is. I was surprised how much I was able to remove scratches without going through the clear coat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine_142 View Post
I thought the RS wheels were painted?

http://www.camaro5.com/piant-code-for-the-rs-wheels/

I had some small road rash (previous owner) and tried to sand it down such as what the OP did. It appeared the wheel was made of clear coat, midnight silver paint, dark primer, alumimum.

just wondering if this is same same.
My car is an RS but I added the polished aluminum wheels, so I do not have the midnight silver wheels. Yes the MS wheels are not just clear coat so there is a lot more work involved. You would have to get primer and the paint and clear coat to fix them properly.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #25
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
:
post a pic of your damage. It depends on where the damage is and how bad it is. I was surprised how much I was able to remove scratches without going through the clear coat.
If you're grinding with a stone dremel tool, I think you're through the clear coat before you start. But maybe it doesn't matter that much on the edges of the wheel.

I have some damage similar to what you show in your first picture but not all the way around the wheel.
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #26
Huero30
Huero30

Drives: 2011 Convertible 2SS/RS
ive been wanting to do them but dont want to mess them up even more. great job!
Huero30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #27
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huero30 View Post
ive been wanting to do them but dont want to mess them up even more. great job!
Thank you. Well I really couldn't mess mine up anymore than they already were lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post
If you're grinding with a stone dremel tool, I think you're through the clear coat before you start. But maybe it doesn't matter that much on the edges of the wheel.

I have some damage similar to what you show in your first picture but not all the way around the wheel.
Oh ya you are definitely going through the clear coat when you are grinding man. Some places you can see the difference but barley. Like I said the best way would be to strip the clear coat off the wheel and re clear the whole wheel. I just didn't have the time to do it. I have another one I am going to strip and fix, so I will see how that one comes out.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #28
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Oh ya you are definitely going through the clear coat when you are grinding man. Some places you can see the difference but barley. Like I said the best way would be to strip the clear coat off the wheel and re clear the whole wheel. I just didn't have the time to do it. I have another one I am going to strip and fix, so I will see how that one comes out.
I'll add that with the scrapes on the rim to start, you're already through the clear anyway.

I did the exact same fix to my rear rim this weekend and it's much better than just leaving it look like a cheese grater. Great save!