Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #15
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverghost View Post
Has anyone tried the OnStar directions yet, if so do the turn by turn directions show up on the Driver Information Center?
I used it and like it a lot. Its really simple to use, the directions are dead on (because they are constantly updated) and I like having the display right in the dash. Easy to see the directions and pay attention to the road, and I really could give a crap about having the map and pretty animations.

Also using the mapquest feature is nice so you can plan a few routes out ahead of time and just have them ready to go. You can do it from the comfort of home and then just send it to the car. The ONLY thing I don't like is it is a little cumbersome to get to them, you need to call the virtual advisor and get it. Takes like 2 minutes to do.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #16
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post
This is the sticky mount I used on the acrylic trim piece above the vent.
http://www.semsons.com/pbganustmo.html

I drilled a small clearance hole in line with the seam between the trim and dash, then used a #2 x 3/8" long wood screw that wedges between the two. It does not damage the dash pieces. I figured the adhesive may fail in the summer heat and the screw firms it up nicely.

Thats nice also, but how do you make this "clearance hole" without damage?
Old 07-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #17
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
Thats nice also, but how do you make this "clearance hole" without damage?
Should have said, made a clearance hole thru the base of the mount. The screw is small enough that it just kinda wedges between the dash pieces. No need to drill the dash.

It offers more support for the sticky base and it works great. The acrylic trim piece is a little loose there anyway and this ties it together.
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #18
hb-rocks

Drives: Chevy
Personally,
This is a sore subject for me, and I just posted this in another thread.
. ..If you consider today's 21st century technologies......Chevy did "cheap-out" on this portion of the package!

Sorry GM but "OnStar" is out-dated.
Who the heck wants to rely on spoken directions when a full screen Nav would give you both...PLUS... so much more?
yeh, yeh...the emergency notification is nice and "WOW"...they can unlock my car remotely....BUT....that's old tech...

with what's available on wireless networks today...... the Nav systems can now also give you internet access....locations of stores, weather, traffic reports, movies, restaurants.... etc...etc......(plus Direct TV is about to offer a whole slew of programming......be nice to walk out of work and escape to your car and watch a show for 30 mins? ).

If I hear of any type of great THIRD PARTY solution I will definitely share!

(end of rant)
hb-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #19
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post
Should have said, made a clearance hole thru the base of the mount. The screw is small enough that it just kinda wedges between the dash pieces. No need to drill the dash.

It offers more support for the sticky base and it works great. The acrylic trim piece is a little loose there anyway and this ties it together.
Oh I see, that sounds even better than the clip. I guess you fished the wire the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb-rocks View Post
Personally,
This is a sore subject for me, and I just posted this in another thread.
. ..If you consider today's 21st century technologies......Chevy did "cheap-out" on this portion of the package!

Sorry GM but "OnStar" is out-dated.
Who the heck wants to rely on spoken directions when a full screen Nav would give you both...PLUS... so much more?
yeh, yeh...the emergency notification is nice and "WOW"...they can unlock my car remotely....BUT....that's old tech...

with what's available on wireless networks today...... the Nav systems can now also give you internet access....locations of stores, weather, traffic reports, movies, restaurants.... etc...etc......(plus Direct TV is about to offer a whole slew of programming......be nice to walk out of work and escape to your car and watch a show for 30 mins? ).

If I hear of any type of great THIRD PARTY solution I will definitely share!

(end of rant)
I know how you feel, but based on what I read it will be hard to implement a 3rd party solution because the radio is so integrated into the car. Even if you get it to work with the cars systems I bet it will look out of place.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #20
hb-rocks

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
I know how you feel, but based on what I read it will be hard to implement a 3rd party solution because the radio is so integrated into the car. Even if you get it to work with the cars systems I bet it will look out of place.

yes.... now that you bring it up!

....what also sucks about using a Tom Tom or Garmin (whatever)...is...it's not integrated into the "system".
-No steering wheel controls for it...
-the volume of your stereo won't lower automatically so you can hear the Nav talking...
hb-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #21
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb-rocks View Post
yes.... now that you bring it up!

....what also sucks about using a Tom Tom or Garmin (whatever)...is...it's not integrated into the "system".
-No steering wheel controls for it...
-the volume of your stereo won't lower automatically so you can hear the Nav talking...
You're preaching to the choir buddy. I can give you a page long report describing why in dash is better than a tack on unit. However the solution 67 GTO came up with is the best I have seen, after a factory installed navigation system.