Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-06-2013, 04:22 AM   #1
InfernoLS3

Drives: 2010 LS3 Camaro
Question What Oil to use after engine rebuild?

So after my cam install and dyno tune i noticed on the way back home that my oil pressure was at ZERO! or a bit higher, The funny thing that i didn't get the "turn of the engine" message and i didn't notice the pressure until i was 2 blocks away from home, i thought it was only the sensor that went bad and that's why i didn't get the message next day i start it up and heard lifters noise after taking it back to the shop it turns out that the oil pump has failed "which was melling HV", a lifter was broken and the cam bearings with the cam itself was damaged! so we decided to change them all and i've also changed the rod bearings, pistons rings and oil pump.

Now what oil to use for the first startup and what oil to use for break-in Procedure? my engine builder is telling me that i've to use 20w50 non synthetic oil, I know i've to use a non-synthetic oil for first startup and break-in but isn't that too thick for a newly rebuilt engine? What oil are you guys using after your engine has been rebuilt?
InfernoLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:40 AM   #2
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
BREAK IN OIL Joe Gibbs BK or Amsoil break in oil. it has the zink you need http://www.texas-speed.com/p-3949-jo...FSISMwodQGwAyQ
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=BRKQT-EA
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:10 AM   #3
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
Oh my gosh....a Melling failed???? Anyway, run what JC listed above.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Prob the o-ring, no?
Old 12-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
Joe Gibbs or am soil break in after that ls30 at least that's what tsp recommended me.
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Amsoil, all the way!
Old 12-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoLS3 View Post
So after my cam install and dyno tune i noticed on the way back home that my oil pressure was at ZERO! or a bit higher, The funny thing that i didn't get the "turn of the engine" message and i didn't notice the pressure until i was 2 blocks away from home, i thought it was only the sensor that went bad and that's why i didn't get the message next day i start it up and heard lifters noise after taking it back to the shop it turns out that the oil pump has failed "which was melling HV", a lifter was broken and the cam bearings with the cam itself was damaged! so we decided to change them all and i've also changed the rod bearings, pistons rings and oil pump.

Now what oil to use for the first startup and what oil to use for break-in Procedure? my engine builder is telling me that i've to use 20w50 non synthetic oil, I know i've to use a non-synthetic oil for first startup and break-in but isn't that too thick for a newly rebuilt engine? What oil are you guys using after your engine has been rebuilt?
I've never seen an oil pump fail from new, Not even a stock pump. I have heard of a stock pump fail after a cam install. I'd make sure that they did install a melling.

Secondly ANY builder is going to give you precise instructions on how to properly breakin their build and how to maintain it after. I'd call them and make sure and STICK to their instructions.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
It seems that every time i see a thread about a failed oil pump, stock or Melling, it's after a cam swap and using the wrong oil! The cam fails and the metal destroys the pump.
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
InfernoLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
BREAK IN OIL Joe Gibbs BK or Amsoil break in oil. it has the zink you need http://www.texas-speed.com/p-3949-jo...FSISMwodQGwAyQ
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=BRKQT-EA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 376LS3 View Post
Oh my gosh....a Melling failed???? Anyway, run what JC listed above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
Prob the o-ring, no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare2012 View Post
Joe Gibbs or am soil break in after that ls30 at least that's what tsp recommended me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
Amsoil, all the way!
Thanks guys, my engine builder told me It was because of the oil I've been using which was mobil1 10w30! I might have been runnig out of pressure for a couple of minutes I don't know why the message didn't appear It really sucks! the car Isn't at the states right now It's In the middle east they don't have Amsoil neither Joe Gibbs they only got mobil1 "Synthetic and non-synthetic" and castrol "Synthetic and non-synthetic", redline and pennzoil is available but it 's synthetic and that's not good for a newly rebuilt engine! So I'm stuck with mobil and castrol but don't know what to choose! and what thickness is right!
Old 12-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
InfernoLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
I've never seen an oil pump fail from new, Not even a stock pump. I have heard of a stock pump fail after a cam install. I'd make sure that they did install a melling.

Secondly ANY builder is going to give you precise instructions on how to properly breakin their build and how to maintain it after. I'd call them and make sure and STICK to their instructions.
The thing Is, he told me that the oil pump fails and caused the damage because of using a thin oil "mobil1 10w30" and he's telling mo that I've to use a thick oil "like mobil 20w50 or anything 20w50", someone's correct me If i'm wrong, but Isn't the clearences tight In my situation? "newly rebuilt engine" which needs a thinner oil not a thicker one!
Old 12-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
InfernoLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
It seems that every time i see a thread about a failed oil pump, stock or Melling, it's after a cam swap and using the wrong oil! The cam fails and the metal destroys the pump.
You're correct!
Old 12-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Thanks guys, my engine builder told me It was because of the oil I've been using which was mobil1 10w30!
Right because every car that comes off the assembly line with Mobil1 implodes in 10 miles. Your builder screwed something up and wants a scapegoat. It was probably the o-ring or they didn't center the pump on the snout properly.

Swapping a camshaft does not change a bearing tolerance ANYWHERE.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
I will be using mobil 1 15w50 per Andy at ADM but this is on my 417 build.

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Thanks guys, my engine builder told me It was because of the oil I've been using which was mobil1 10w30! I might have been runnig out of pressure for a couple of minutes I don't know why the message didn't appear It really sucks! the car Isn't at the states right now It's In the middle east they don't have Amsoil neither Joe Gibbs they only got mobil1 "Synthetic and non-synthetic" and castrol "Synthetic and non-synthetic", redline and pennzoil is available but it 's synthetic and that's not good for a newly rebuilt engine! So I'm stuck with mobil and castrol but don't know what to choose! and what thickness is right!
Everything he said is BULLSHIT! Who installed this? Some whacky Iraqy!
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote