Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #71
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple Charged View Post
That would have to be a manual trans, not an auto. The auto has about 22% loss but most use 25%. Manual is typically close to 12% but most in the aftermarket use 15% to give flywheel numbers.

The manual trans motor is worth 40+hp just by itself over the automatic (also rated 26hp more from factory).

Therefore, if its 599 with the manual motor, you may be close on the rwhp, but if its auto, its closer to 460.
The kit is coming out first for the LS3, so yes I was using the manual numbers. I always use 15% loss for the manual, that way I'm not dissapointed if it's more.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:50 AM   #72
Buelligun

Drives: 2SSRS manual yellow black stripes
I think I need one of these bad boys....anyone want to buy a kidney, works well even under party conditions!!
Buelligun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:34 AM   #73
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buelligun View Post
I think I need one of these bad boys....anyone want to buy a kidney, works well even under party conditions!!
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #74
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buelligun View Post
In US $ or Canadian $???
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #75
Mythic

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
I wonder how it would run with the LS hot cam. Its pretty mild just holds the valves open a little longer.
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #76
Buelligun

Drives: 2SSRS manual yellow black stripes
I don't think my kidney has valves!!!
Buelligun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #77
Exotic Performance Plus

Drives: 1999 Camaro Z28
Any updates? I can't wait to install our first one! Bob
Exotic Performance Plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #78
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
A question for you folks that are anxiously awaiting the arrival of this supercharger. What do you think it will do better than what's already available from Magnuson or GM?
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #79
DC-SS

Drives: Imperial Blue 2010 Camaro 2SS
GM has a roots style blower available????
DC-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #80
old motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-SS View Post
ZR1 vette uses the same blower that Magnuson and Edelbrock uses.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #81
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
A question for you folks that are anxiously awaiting the arrival of this supercharger. What do you think it will do better than what's already available from Magnuson or GM?
It seems to me, just from looking at the orientation of the intercooler bricks, their size, placement, and the general design of the runners, that it would be less restrictive than LS9 and LSA; Edelbrock states this as a fact... As far as if it's my opinion that it would seem more efficient than a Maggy, I don't know that I'd agree quite yet; I'll have to see numbers. The Maggy is straight forward and simple. It kinda' seems almost more efficient because it has less turns and maybe less turbulance . Having seen neither in person, I'm not going to hazard which is better until someone gives good apples-to-apples numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-SS View Post
Yes. Eaton makes the 1900 and 2300 cc rotors for the LS9 and LSA, respectively. Those are hybrid rotors.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #82
old motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
It seems to me, just from looking at the orientation of the intercooler bricks, their size, placement, and the general design of the runners, that it would be less restrictive than LS9 and LSA; Edelbrock states this as a fact... As far as if it's my opinion that it would seem more efficient than a Maggy, I don't know that I'd agree quite yet; I'll have to see numbers. The Maggy is straight forward and simple. It kinda' seems almost more efficient because it has less turns and maybe less turbulance . Having seen neither in person, I'm not going to hazard which is better until someone gives good apples-to-apples numbers.

Yes. Eaton makes the 1900 and 2300 cc rotors for the LS9 and LSA, respectively. Those are hybrid rotors.
I've seen the Maggy in person...sitting in my garage on top of my LS3 powered vette. I'm a little biased. I wonder how folks have somehow crowned the Edelbrock version of the TVS the latest and greatest when it hasn't even been sold to the public yet.

You have to wonder why Magnuson didn't try to compact things a little more like the Edelbrock and GM versions do. I'm guessing they tried and couldn't get it done without compromises. Hmmmm. I'm pleased with what Magnuson was able to do with their LS3 TVS blower. No compromises. Mine makes 672 at the wheels on 8.5 psi. As good as the Edelbrock name is, it might be wise to see how this thing performs first.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:21 PM   #83
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
I've seen the Maggy in person...sitting in my garage on top of my LS3 powered vette. I'm a little biased. I wonder how folks have somehow crowned the Edelbrock version of the TVS the latest and greatest when it hasn't even been sold to the public yet.

You have to wonder why Magnuson didn't try to compact things a little more like the Edelbrock and GM versions do. I'm guessing they tried and couldn't get it done without compromises. Hmmmm. I'm pleased with what Magnuson was able to do with their LS3 TVS blower. No compromises. Mine makes 672 at the wheels on 8.5 psi. As good as the Edelbrock name is, it might be wise to see how this thing performs first.
After reading some Mustang articles where the Edelbrock and Ford Racing TVS superchargers were tested (not the same articles, or on the same cars, or even the same magazine, lol) it seems like the differences in the TVS-rotored blowers seem to be pretty close in power and efficiency. I think the bigger question, that still remains to a small degree, is how these TVS rotors really compare to twin screws and centrifugals. I haven't seen really any apples-to-apples tests to referrence. The closest one I've seen was where the Ford Racing TVS 2300 was pitted against a 2.8H (I think) Whipple. The Whipple ripped the TVS a new one, but it also benefited from an upgraded throttle body and elbow. Also, the way the cars were pulley'd, wasn't really correct, IMO. They used the same sized pulleys, but the blowers put out different boost, and the Whipple was several pounds more than the TVS; that accounted for much of the power difference. When they seemingly max'd the TVS, though, there was a clear difference in efficiency when compared to the Whipple. No dispute there. Anyways - I think this is going to come down to more company loyalty than anything. All the rotors come from the same place; there are just different ways of delivering the air to them, and from them to the heads.

I'm still very interested though The Mustang kit did VERY well

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #84
old motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
After reading some Mustang articles where the Edelbrock and Ford Racing TVS superchargers were tested (not the same articles, or on the same cars, or even the same magazine, lol) it seems like the differences in the TVS-rotored blowers seem to be pretty close in power and efficiency. I think the bigger question, that still remains to a small degree, is how these TVS rotors really compare to twin screws and centrifugals. I haven't seen really any apples-to-apples tests to referrence. The closest one I've seen was where the Ford Racing TVS 2300 was pitted against a 2.8H (I think) Whipple. The Whipple ripped the TVS a new one, but it also benefited from an upgraded throttle body and elbow. Also, the way the cars were pulley'd, wasn't really correct, IMO. They used the same sized pulleys, but the blowers put out different boost, and the Whipple was several pounds more than the TVS; that accounted for much of the power difference. When they seemingly max'd the TVS, though, there was a clear difference in efficiency when compared to the Whipple. No dispute there. Anyways - I think this is going to come down to more company loyalty than anything. All the rotors come from the same place; there are just different ways of delivering the air to them, and from them to the heads.

I'm still very interested though The Mustang kit did VERY well
The really good thing to come out of all of this is competition. It's great that there are options available. They all know that they have to have their respective sh!t together or they will have their a$$es handed to them. We, as potential customer, are the winners!