Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 01-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
and probably wheels, too.

I don't want to have to ride around on aftermarket wheels just because it's 32 degrees outside :\
Exactly my point. If I have to I will ride around with those tires and just lose some grip. There is no sense to spend over 2k every year for something that will be only used 3 months out the year.

Make sure you don’t forget to subscribe to my channel! More content on the way. Like, share with your friends
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Z...sP2wjsLLFeP1zQ

Follow me on instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/snkeatr/
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:49 PM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSylentZL1 View Post
Exactly my point. If I have to I will ride around with those tires and just lose some grip. There is no sense to spend over 2k every year for something that will be only used 3 months out the year.
2 grand? A year?

A quick trip to TireRack.com found some 19" rims that would fit the Camaro for under $200 a pop and tires for $150. So that means an entire set can be had for less than $1,400. And while we're at it, the tires should last at least 3 years. And the wheels? Probably until you get sick of them. Of course, if you want to get high performance winter tires, or something other than cheap cast aluminum rims, it will obviously cost you a lot more.

The alternative is to buy a beater. It should last at least as long as the winter tires for a grand for the same price, if not less. But you don't have to buy the rims and by taking the ZL1 off the road you'll save quite a bit on insurance for 3 months of the year. The resale value also goes up because a) it has fewer miles on it and b) you can advertise it as never having seen a winter, particularly important for those looking to buy a used high performance car.

And keep in mind that its not only the weather that threatens your ZL1 -but all the other cars on the road. Even if you have winter tires on your car, the guy behind you in his 4x4 truck might not. You stop, he doesn't ... truck wins.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #17
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
2 grand? A year?

A quick trip to TireRack.com found some 19" rims that would fit the Camaro for under $200 a pop and tires for $150. So that means an entire set can be had for less than $1,400. And while we're at it, the tires should last at least 3 years. And the wheels? Probably until you get sick of them. Of course, if you want to get high performance winter tires, or something other than cheap cast aluminum rims, it will obviously cost you a lot more.

The alternative is to buy a beater. It should last at least as long as the winter tires for a grand for the same price, if not less. But you don't have to buy the rims and by taking the ZL1 off the road you'll save quite a bit on insurance for 3 months of the year. The resale value also goes up because a) it has fewer miles on it and b) you can advertise it as never having seen a winter, particularly important for those looking to buy a used high performance car.

And keep in mind that its not only the weather that threatens your ZL1 -but all the other cars on the road. Even if you have winter tires on your car, the guy behind you in his 4x4 truck might not. You stop, he doesn't ... truck wins.
With that being said, no being can prevent another person from hitting them. If it happens it happens, that can happen in the summer as well. Don't plan on buying a beater but I will search a bit more for the tires when the time comes and the ZL1 is on the streets. I plan to not stress on the tires for the ZL1.

Make sure you don’t forget to subscribe to my channel! More content on the way. Like, share with your friends

Follow me on instagram:
Old 01-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
With that being said, no being can prevent another person from hitting them. If it happens it happens, that can happen in the summer as well. Don't plan on buying a beater but I will search a bit more for the tires when the time comes and the ZL1 is on the streets. I plan to not stress on the tires for the ZL1.
Oh, of course not. But the odds of getting into an accident go up substantially when there's snow on the ground. I'm not saying its a sure thing, just trying to point out another reason why some people take their cars off the road for the winter.

If you do go with winter tires, try to get rims that are narrower and a smaller diameter. And for once, a heavy wheel is helpful -cuts through the snow better. Steelies would be best, but I don't think anyone makes steelies big enough to fit a ZL1 right now (I think it would take a 19", since 18's barely fit the SS and not all 18" designs do). Maybe there will be 19" steelies for the Camaro in 9 months, but I doubt it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:33 AM   #19
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Quote:
Oh, of course not. But the odds of getting into an accident go up substantially when there's snow on the ground. I'm not saying its a sure thing, just trying to point out another reason why some people take their cars off the road for the winter.
I understand what you are saying. I won't say I am not going to drive my ZL1 during because you never know. The chances are that I will, but just rarely and not hard driving. Plan on purchasing a car cover and all

Follow me on instagram:
Old 01-20-2012, 12:47 AM   #20
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
I don't even want to drive in the snow, just in cold weather. It has yet to snow a considerable amount here in Maryland. I don't even think they've salted the ground once. I am obviously not stupid enough to take a 580 hp beast out in the snow, and I will have another car to drive. It would just be nice to not have to worry about my tire compound having a negative response to the cold weather.
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #21
adamgl

Drives: '98 Camaro Z28, '06 Z06
Quote:

Off topic, but how do you guys get insurance discounts for not driving in the winter? I've had state farm and progressive on my Camaro. It's put away for like 4 months in the winter and low mileage per year. They said I can't get a discount without hooking up a tracker that reports mileage, and hard acceleration, deceleration for like a year. Then they could lower it based on driving habits. Who the hell drives a camaro and doesn't accelerate hard??? Lol.
'06 Z06 2LZ, Cam, P/P/M Heads, FAST Intake/TB, ARH, CAI, HP Clutch/FW, C5 Axles,
Pfadt Coilovers/Poly Bushings, Carbon Fiber: Everything, lol. HID's, 360 Forged Spec 5's/Invo's, Custom Interior. 550 RWHP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235911
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #22
Verbatim

Drives: '18 2SS 1LE HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgl View Post
Off topic, but how do you guys get insurance discounts for not driving in the winter? I've had state farm and progressive on my Camaro. It's put away for like 4 months in the winter and low mileage per year. They said I can't get a discount without hooking up a tracker that reports mileage, and hard acceleration, deceleration for like a year. Then they could lower it based on driving habits. Who the hell drives a camaro and doesn't accelerate hard??? Lol.
I imagine what they would do is take the collision coverage off the car for the months they're not driving it, and just keep the comprehensive coverage on it in case it gets stolen, or the garage collapses.
Verbatim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #23
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgl View Post
Change the coverage type in the winter to comprehensive coverage only. You'll have to call them if you want to drive it during that time. In the spring change back to full coverage.

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #24
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:41 AM   #25
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Why does one have to stress about the Winter tires for the ZL1 so much? In my opinion, the Winter tires should have been included in the ordering process as a free stock option. We are spending over 50k for a vehicle that only is supported with summer tires and when the winter time rolls around we are screwed. We have to spend a good thousand more for tires that will only be used for 3 months at tops.
Name any performance car that gives you a set extra set of wheels/tires for winter.

People need to quit being pansies.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:50 AM   #26
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Why does one have to stress about the Winter tires for the ZL1 so much? In my opinion, the Winter tires should have been included in the ordering process as a free stock option. We are spending over 50k for a vehicle that only is supported with summer tires and when the winter time rolls around we are screwed. We have to spend a good thousand more for tires that will only be used for 3 months at tops.
well...in order to do that, it would increase the cost of the car - and those living in warm climates (or who put their Camaros away for the winter) - would be upset that they have this extra set of tires.......

(...not to mention shipping costs and logistics of getting the tires to the owner)
Old 01-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #27
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Name any performance car that gives you a set extra set of wheels/tires for winter.

People need to quit being pansies.
No one is being a pansey, just think it's kind of ridiculous one has to spend 1-2k a couple months after purchasing a 60k vehicle. I would have rather have had it as a 1k option when paying for the vehicle not a few months after purchasing it.

Follow me on instagram:
Old 01-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #28
Pappa Joe

Drives: Charger/TL1000R/Cobalt/ZL1
Quote:
It seems like we are not going to get the vehicle as early as we want it and as soon as we receive the ZL1 we will need to save up for winter tires. We spend 60k during the summer only to spend another 1-2k on tires

Canada has alot of snow in winter, so ill be buying chains for my Good Years!
Pappa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote