Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 05-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
Rickscamero

Drives: Infiniti G35 Coupe
Buying a US Car and Transferring It.

My dad is an American Citizen but I am Canadian and live in Toronto.

I am considering having him buy me the Camaro in Detroit, MI and transferring it to me as a gift. Does anyone have any advice for me, re: this sort of transaction?

Thx. in advance.
Rickscamero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
My advice - do it! You'll save a pile, especially with the C dollar at .92. Even if it is transfered as a gift, you will still be nailed at the border for GST. They will give it a fair market value and you'll pay the tax. Regardless, the price difference alone will save you at least 5K on a 2SS.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
The dealer MUST NOT KNOW the final destination of the car, or they will not sell it to your dad. They may even have him sign a document saying he will not dispose of the car for a least 6 months for buyers near the border.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:47 PM   #4
juicy ss

Drives: 1999 HOSS Conv & 2010 IOM SS
I agree DO NOT tell them the car is coming to Canada or you won't get the car!!!! I know as I sold for GM here for over 10 years and the rule applies for the american deals as well as Canadian dealers!!!
juicy ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:35 AM   #5
fever_08

Drives: '08 M3
I just checked RIV.ca, the Camaro is not on the list of inadmissable vehicles.......you are good to go...
This actually surprised me, as when the '08 model year Vettes came out, they were inadmissalbe, for no reason......damn lobbyists.....

It's real easy to import, and now would be a good time.......start buying USD before the new employment figures come out...I think the CAD will drop some then....all the info on how to do it is at RIV.ca.....
it will be a little tough for the dealer not to know the car is going north of the border as you have to get a letter from GM stating the vehicle has no outstanding safety recalls.....Also, If I remember correctly, the vehicle has to be over 6 months old before the warranty will be honored, so registered in the US for 6 months......but if your pops can register it for 6 months and keep it for you, then all is golden!!
Letter from GM and bill of sale sent to Border crossing 72 hours before it crosses the line, open a case # with RIV, drive it to the canadian side, pay GST (no duty).....inspection at Canadian Tire, and thats it

Really it is that easy.....
fever_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #6
tededfred

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2LT!!
Rick,

Not sure if you're still considering doing this, but there is a massive (and i DO mean massive) thread on redflagdeals about exactly this sort of thing:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=307601

Might be helpful.
tededfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
There is a yellow one on EBay at a Ford Dealer BOUGHT from a closed Chevy.. It has 146 miles and is " used" so you can bring that in with no hassle from GM. Full Warranty after 6 months or 12000 KM. ( or buy a 1 year warranty for Canada /USA)
Old 06-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
Rickscamero

Drives: Infiniti G35 Coupe
Thx guys, but I already signed my offer form from dean myers last night.. I got a 1410 discount - makes it a little easier to sleep at night..
Rickscamero is offline   Reply With Quote