Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-13-2016, 09:50 AM   #1
nilfinite

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Autocross Adventure w/ the 1LE

tl;dr. I tried inconsistently racing a couple of cars. Was not happy with a car until the 1LE Camaro.

Car History:
2013: Infiniti G37S. My first autocross was in an Infiniti G37 w/ Sport Package; 2 months before I returned the car to Infiniti. I replaced the rear tires with the cheapest crap out there and was sliding all over the place. This car could have been a good platform to learn on. Too bad I got it on a 24 month lease. 2 events with this car.

2014: BMW ActiveHybrid 3. This is a BMW 335i but with a battery pack and electric motors. This was a tester car for BMW before they got into electric cars. Because BMW didn't spend much time testing it, it only came with the base suspension option. Pushed like crazy and I was still learning to drive. I braked way too late. This was an OK car to learn on. Did a lease transfer in 12 months and gave it to someone else. I was bit by the detailing bug while owning this car: learned proper washing technique, how to use a DA, claying and all the different products out there for the paint, trim, wheels, tires, leather, etc. 3 events with this car.

2015: Fiat 500 Abarth. This car was an adventure. Before this car, I never owned a wrench or knew how to change my own oil. Mods for the car were cheap so I started small (Intake, Tune). Got bit by the mod bug pretty bad. Learned how to change oil then graduated to coilovers, brakes, exhaust, torque mounts, blow off valves, etc. Swapped the rear sway bar at least 6 times with prototypes. By the end of it, cracked open the transmission to install a LSD. On a FWD car, a LSD is no small task. I modified every component on the Abarth within the rules. This car was a decent learning platform. Only issue was all of the tweaking. I focused on setup tweaks more than driver mod. After I got bit by the autocross bug, I wanted different: something competitive in the SCCA street classes, something unique (aka not Miata, Focus ST, FRS/BRZ, etc.) and something beast-mode. 12 events with this car.

Also 2015: BMW Z4. Got this car as a weekend cruiser. Picked the smallest engine in BMW's line up. It was small, RWD and agile. Was able to snag top 8 during a BMWCCA Top Driver Shootout event during my first event in the car on stock tires and in the wet. Competition-wise in SCCA, it would never be able to succeed in B street class against the C5 Corvette. 3 events with this car.

2016: Camaro 1LE. I started eyeing the Camaro at the end of 2014. Went through the SCCA National autocross results for inspiration on my next car. One year later, when Chevrolet had their 20% sale in November 2015, in one day I reached out to a dealer (FH Dailey) that had one in stock for 20%+ off and bought it. Traded in the Abarth the next week after de-modding. I was ridiculously impressed that Chevy put out this package straight from the factory. Grip: Amazing. Power: Strong. Suspension: Predictable. Tire temps show a balanced and neutral setup (tires front and rear are similar temps after a run; I'm assuming the alignment fixed the stock understeer).

Of course every car has its issues and the Camaro's is weight. The car will not let you stomp on the brakes and cheat using ABS. The tires will give up under the weight.

Finally found a keeper to actively race. Looking forward to joining the Camaro community and developing the car for autocross.

First step was an alignment, better tires and a better air filter.

Next step is 19" wheels + tires. And of course a ton of driver mod and seat time.

Last edited by nilfinite; 01-22-2017 at 11:23 PM.
nilfinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:50 AM   #2
nilfinite

Autocross Adventure w/ the 1LE

Social:
instagram.com/nilfinite

Sponsors:
Trackspec Autosports: trackspecauto.com & instagram.com/trackspecautosports
JPSS: jpssonline.com & instagram.com/jpss_official
ZL1Addons: zl1addons.com & instagram.com/zl1addons

Modifications:
Air Filter: K&N Filter
Shocks: Koni Sport Yellow
Wheels: Forgeline GA3R 19x10 (F) & 19x11 (R) or Stock 20" 1LE Wheels
Tires: Bridgestone RE-71R 305/30/19 or 285/35/20

Tire Pressures:
Front: 30-35 psi hot (19" 305s) & 28-32 psi hot (20" 285s)
Rear: 23-28 psi hot (19" 305s) & 28-32 psi hot (20" 285s)

Range depends on surface, length of course and ambient temperature. Still testing with a tire pyrometer.

Data Acquisition:
Device: iPhone 6S
Application: Harry's Lap Timer
GPS: Dual XGPS160
OBD: GoPoint BT1

Event Checklist:
+ Bolt-On Lift Points (ZL1 Addons)
+ Data Acquisition Items (+ Portable Battery)
+ Helmet
+ Magnetic Number Plate
+ Painters Tape
+ Tire Inflator (Craftsman C3 Cordless Inflator)
+ Tire Pressure Gauge (Joes Racing Tire Pressure Gauge)
+ Tire Pyrometer (Joes Racing Pyrometer w/ Adjustable Probe)
+ Tire Repair Kit (Safety Seal)
+ Torque Wrench, Breaker Bar & Sockets (Harbor Freight)
+ Tow Hook (ZL1 Addons)

2017 Autocross/Track Calendar:
2/25: BMWCCA Instructor @ Marina
2/26: BMWCCA Fun Runs @ Marina
3/18: SFR Test n Tune @ Crows Landing
3/19: SFR @ Crows Landing
4/1: WSCC @ Cow Palace
4/2: WSCC @ Cow Palace
4/8: AAS @ Crows Landing
4/9: AAS @ Crows Landing
4/29-4/30: SCCA National Tour @ Crows Landing
6/10: AAS + SFR @ Crows Landing
6/11: AAS + SFR @ Crows Landing
8/19: AAS @ Crows Landing
8/20: AAS @ Crows Landing
8/26: Sacramento SCCA @ San Joaquin Fairgrounds
8/27: Sacramento SCCA @ San Joaquin Fairgrounds
9/23: Sacramento SCCA @ San Joaquin Fairgrounds
9/24: Sacramento SCCA @ San Joaquin Fairgrounds
9/30: AAS + SFR @ Crows Landing
10/1: AAS + SFR @ Crows Landing
10/14: Sacramento SCCA @ San Joaquin Fairgrounds
10/15: Sacramento SCCA @ San Joaquin Fairgrounds
10/21: AAS @ Crows Landing
10/22: AAS @ Crows Landing
10/28: Evo School @ Marina
10/29: Evo School @ Marina
11/11: AAS @ San Joaquin Fairgrounds
11/12: AAS @ San Joaquin Fairgrounds
11/18: BMWCCA Top Driver Shootout @ Marina
12/10: BMWCCA Fun Runs @ Marina

Regional Competition in F-Street
+ Sean w/ E92 M3
+ Michael w/ E92 M3
+ Richard w/ E92 M3
+ Bruce w/ Gen5 1LE
+ Gary w/ Gen5 Mustang
+ Keith w/ Gen5 Mustang

I'm sure there are lots of other awesome drivers but these are the guys I see the most often. Some good competition!

Last edited by nilfinite; 06-25-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:56 AM   #3
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Okay.... You've peaked my curiosity. Subscribed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:12 AM   #4
nilfinite

Went to one of the more legit autocross events in the Bay Area the past weekend: American Autocross Series + SF SCCA joint event. A bunch of national champions were there including Heitkotter, Teddie, Fraiser. Some really good competition. I let the top 2 drivers in FS drive a lap in my car because their M3 broke down.

Was really interesting to get their perspective on M3 vs Camaro. They were surprised there wasn't much power-on oversteer. They also were surprised about less power coming out of a dig (~30 mph). Really impressed by the torque and not having to shift out of 2nd gear lol. We hit the top of 2nd gear only once. Other cars had to shift to 3rd 3 different times on the course.

I have 285/35/20 RS3s on stock 1LE wheels because I couldn't wait the time for custom-spec 19" wheels to arrive. It's good to learn on the RS3s and be consistently 2 seconds behind the winners on their cheater RE-71R tires :P

With more driver mod and RE-71R tires, planning on closing the gap

Definitely learned the lesson Corsaro was telling me on tires and wheels. The car is geared way too tall for autocross. Need improve the car's ability to come out of a dig (~30 mph on 2nd gear) on the turnarounds.

On the look out for new 19" wheels to match the 305/30/19 RE-71Rs that are going to be released after August this year. That'll bring down the top speed in 2nd gear from 77 mph to 73 mph. I wish could bring it even lower but limited by the 19" wheels and tire options out there.

The top of 2nd for the e92 M3 w/ ZCP (275/35/18 RE-71R tires; won FS in 2015) is 68 mph.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:04 AM   #5
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
Subbed! I love a good 1LE AutoX thread/build.

Where you at in the Bay Area? I grew up in San Jose and have been in Reno for 15 years. Have you come across the NorCal 5th gen Camaro group yet?
Old 06-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #6
nilfinite

Autocrossing Adventure w/ the 1LE

So far impressions of the RS3 is that they like to be colder than I expected. I've always read that the Hankooks like heat.

What they probably meant is that the RS3 need at least 1 run to get up to temp. The RE-71R is good from the very first run.

I found the Hankooks a little bit greasy when the tire temp is 140+ degrees after a run. Tires were very happy at 110 degrees post-run.

Even so, the RS3 is much better than than the stock Goodyears. With the Goodyears, the rear would step out every single time I hit the gas on corner exit. The RS3 refuses to step out.

Last edited by nilfinite; 06-14-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:17 PM   #7
nilfinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZ28 View Post
Subbed! I love a good 1LE AutoX thread/build.

Where you at in the Bay Area? I grew up in San Jose and have been in Reno for 15 years. Have you come across the NorCal 5th gen Camaro group yet?

Thanks for the subs guys. I live and work all over the Bay Area but aiming to make as many Crows Landing, CA events as possible. I have family in East Bay so it's not too difficult to make those.

Haven't gotten involved with the NorCal Camaro group yet but I'm a member. Lots of good content on there.

Actually meeting quite a few Camaro5 forum members in person at these AX events.

Saw 3 other gen 5 Camaros last weekend. A Yellow SS with 1LE track pack (on Camaro5), a silver SS with roll cage and another white SS.

Two weeks ago met another guy with a white 1LE that is active on the Facebook group.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:58 PM   #8
nilfinite

Autocrossing Adventure w/ the 1LE

Here is why I really love data acquisition. After I let the other guys drive my car, I got to compare driving styles. To get really fast, I need a fellow co-driver so that we can push each other and compare styles.

Using this chart (I'm the red line and the chart on the back shows how the gray line is doing relative to the red line), it is very clear I could have gained 1 second by entering the slalom better. The car is capable of slaloming in the mid 50s but I'm bringing the car down to the 40s. Gotta trust the car.

Had another .3 second available if I take a better line through the increasing radius turn (2nd turnaround). Don't need to slow down as much and can accelerate earlier.

Last edited by nilfinite; 06-15-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #9
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilfinite View Post
Modifications:
Air Filter: K&N Filter
Pedals: Heel-Toe Gas Pedal

Potential to be changed:
Sway Bar Bushings
Brake Pads
Seats for Recaros

All else stock.

Fluids:
Motor Oil: Mobil 1 5W-30 EP
Brake Fluid: ATE TYP 200 DOT 4
Transmission Fluid: Stock

Alignment:
Front: -2.3 camber, 5.4-5.6 caster, 0 toe
Rear: -1.4 camber, 1/16 total toe

Wheels & Tires:
20" 1LE/ZL1 Wheels + 285/35/20 Hankook RS3 Tires

Tire Pressures:
Front: 31-33 psi hot
Rear: 33-35 psi hot

Range depends on length of course and ambient temperature. Still testing with a tire pyrometer.

Data Acquisition:
Device: iPhone 6S
Application: Harry's Lap Timer
GPS: Dual XGPS160
OBD: PLX Kiwi 3 or GoPoint BT1

Event Checklist:
Helmet
Magnetic Numbers
Painters Tape
Tech Items (+ Portable Battery)
Tire Inflator (VIAIR 85P)
Tire Pressure Gauge (Joes Racing Tire Pressure Gauge)
Tire Repair Kit (Safety Seal)
Tire Pyrometer (Joes Racing Pyrometer w/ Adjustable Probe)
Torque Wrench, Breaker Bar & Sockets (Harbor Freight)

Planned Calendar:
6/25: Reno SCCA PDX @ Thunderhill West
7/2: AAS @ Crows Landing
7/3: AAS @ Crows Landing
7/9: GGLC @ Marina
7/21: SCCA Track Night in America @ Thunderhill West
7/30: Sacramento SCCA @ San Joaquin Fairgrounds
7/31: Sacramento SCCA @ San Joaquin Fairgrounds
8/13: BMWCCA @ Marina
8/14: GGLC @ Marina
8/20: AAS @ Crows Landing
8/21: AAS @ Crows Landing
8/27: Sacramento SCCA @ San Joaquin Fairgrounds
8/28: Sacramento SCCA @ San Joaquin Fairgrounds
9/10: Sacramento SCCA @ San Joaquin Fairgrounds
9/11: Sacramento SCCA @ San Joaquin Fairgrounds
10/15: AAS @ Crows Landing
10/16: AAS @ Crows Landing
Is your rear toe IN?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:20 PM   #10
nilfinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Is your rear toe IN?
Why do you ask that? Due to the lack of oversteer? Here are the results of my latest alignment.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:22 PM   #11
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilfinite View Post
Why do you ask that? Due to the lack of oversteer? Here are the results of my latest alignment.

The attachment is not showing
Old 06-15-2016, 01:24 PM   #12
nilfinite

Here is another try.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2016, 01:28 PM   #13
JusticePete

The rear toe out makes the rear loose. Set the rear toe IN 0.12 per side. Total Rear Toe IN 0.24 IN 1/32
Old 06-15-2016, 02:06 PM   #14
nilfinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The rear toe out makes the rear loose. Set the rear toe IN 0.12 per side. Total Rear Toe IN 0.24 IN 1/32
Thanks for the great recommendation. I realize what you mean now. I should have set it to toe in instead of toe out. That is a big reason why the rear won't kick out at all. I should I'll try it out on the next alignment. I'm pretty happy with the front alignment specs.

I'm not certain yet if I want to rear to be a little loose or extremely loose. I find that Autocross guys generally like their oversteer and the track guys prefer the car to be neutral.

Guessing the car is going to drive very different once I get the RE-71R so probably going to wait until I get those tires to do another alignment tweak.

Last edited by nilfinite; 06-15-2016 at 02:51 PM.

Tags
autocross, journal, setup