Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-22-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
okernan6.2

Drives: 00 Silverado
Headers on SS

Will headers void the warranty for the SS? I am pretty sure an aftermarket cam will.
okernan6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
only if they determine an exhaust problem caused what ever problem you need fixed with the warranty.

good news is that the presentation at indy hinted at headers being available
Old 09-22-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
racedad70

Drives: 96Silverado,07Malibu,04MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by okernan6.2 View Post
Will headers void the warranty for the SS? I am pretty sure an aftermarket cam will.
No! Be safe and get the ones from GMPP.
racedad70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I think in a round-about way, they could lead to problems that would be the result of adding them. For example: not all cars require PCM tuning in order to run long tubes (I'm assuming you mean long tubes LTs)) however so do because they'll over-compansate with to much fuel or won't compansate enough. Each of those conditions can result in different things and failures. Okay, I'll tune the PCM - no biggie. Well, I think if you get into the PCM (unless it's through a GMPP-specific flash program (which I have not heard or ever seen anything about)) you'll be changing parameters that GM has set when programming the car and therefore void your powertrain warranty. I don't see any othe headers being offered by GM except shorties, in order to remain CARB-legal (unless they don't consider them accessories and as performance parts) and if that's the case you probably won't need much tuning because shorties have not really given much performance gains over LTs in the past because they didn't effect exhaust flow as much as LTs.

Sorry so long... The cam will - without a doubt in my mind (regardless of OEM or aftermarket) but I think you'll be asking for trouble, if you're worried about a warranty, unless you use anything outside of GMPP.

JM.02.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
headpunter

there was talk of GMPP having Shorties for the Camaro
Old 09-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR
SSiCk MeMbEr!!!

Drives: HeAviLy MoDDeD 2010 SS CaMaRo!
It may void the warranty...but anyhow I'm pretty sure Kooks wiil have the best headers out for the CaMaRo
JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Aren't headers only beneficial if you've done other stuff as well, like intake? You can't blow out what you're not taking in.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
Some of the members here need to spend some time over on LS1tech.com's Advanced Performance Forum...
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:35 PM   #9
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'm going to have to post this more than Z28 rumor rebuttals. It's a law that protects your rights under warranty. You will not lose your warranty unless the new part specifically causes the old part to break.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:30 AM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I won't make a big post because I don't want to repeat myself with a long thread that's boring nor seem like I'm following 'Blur around (seriously - I'm not ) but make no mistake that they will screwtinize any changes you make very carefully if your car has a problem. I know the law (okay, I don't know, but have a very general understanding) that you mean and think SEMA and some other aftermarket entities were fighting hard on legislation to protect customers with these laws. I'm just saying be careful with what you do with your car, because there are many ways to trace a problem to the cause.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #11
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Can someone explain the difference between shorties and long tube headers. I mean obviosly shorties are shorter but what do they do differently and why would this make GM offer shorties?

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #12
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
SHorties are basically just the collector and then a flange. LT are the collector from each of the 4 cyl on each side and then they continue back to a new H or X pipe depending on the design, then either High Flow cats or no cats.

As for the warrenty issues. The law is there but you will never win unless you have really deep pockets. I have been through this quite a few times so trust me. Dealers make more $ when you pay for a repair then if it is covered. With that said if they see an aftermarket part on the car they will usually do whatever they can to say that part increased the HP and original design of the car creating different conditions therefore whatever the failure is, it is not covered.

Now we call know that a 3" exhaust will not cause an alternator to go, but since they know you need a new one and they can pull this kind of stupid explaination, YOU now have to take them to court over an alternator. It is never worth it and yes you lose every time.

Unless your entire engine blows and it is a large expense item it is never worth it and dealers know this. So you will pay to play. If you mod with non warrentied parts expect to never have a drivetrain repair covered again. Some dealers are mod friendly but that is reallllllly rare. If you are going to mod you have to be willing to pay for it.
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #13
SSNIGHTMARE

Drives: 2002 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Some of the members here need to spend some time over on LS1tech.com's Advanced Performance Forum...

MORE THAN A LITTLE TIME
02 SS, STOCK, THE SLO HO
08 CTS, POS
EFI Live
"Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD's, you know you wanna hit it but you're afraid of the consequences!"

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

--Samuel Adams
SSNIGHTMARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #14
headpunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNIGHTMARE View Post

MORE THAN A LITTLE TIME

better put thier flame suits on