Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
VictoryRed08

Drives: 08 Cobalt LT2,
An Interesting Pro-Bailout Video

Ok so its a bit off topic but interesting none-the-less Check It out
VictoryRed08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
I saw that somewhere else, dont remember.

The problem i have with the pro videos is that it brings out the biggest idiots of the con...

One of the comments on there is "GM gambled on the SUV for the last 20 years" I hate people that take such a dumb narrow view of these things...

Anyone know how long GM has had an "SUV" I think the suburban has been around what 50 + years now? Correct me if I'm wrong.

On top of that, they state "oh, well they dont build what america wants" that right there is just a pile of bull-ish, America WANTED the SUV we wanted big sedans, we felt safe in those....

BAHH!!!! sorry for the rant.
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
VictoryRed08

Drives: 08 Cobalt LT2,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinZero View Post
I saw that somewhere else, dont remember.

The problem i have with the pro videos is that it brings out the biggest idiots of the con...

One of the comments on there is "GM gambled on the SUV for the last 20 years" I hate people that take such a dumb narrow view of these things...

Anyone know how long GM has had an "SUV" I think the suburban has been around what 50 + years now? Correct me if I'm wrong.

On top of that, they state "oh, well they dont build what america wants" that right there is just a pile of bull-ish, America WANTED the SUV we wanted big sedans, we felt safe in those....

BAHH!!!! sorry for the rant.
You're absolutely right. If they didnt sell what america wanted then why did they sell so well? People must have just hated them that much.

Everyone "gambled" on the SUV because it sold, i think that they (im making reference to he big three not just GM) should have been more proactive with coming up with newer fuel saving ideas but im not in there position, there could be other factors in place, like why would they research extremely fuel efficient small cars; that, at the time, wouldn't sell so well? I sure as hell did see the gas prices spiking like they did, maybe they didn't either.
VictoryRed08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
seeknay2000

Drives: 1978 Z28, 1987 Suburb
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRed08 View Post
You're absolutely right. If they didnt sell what america wanted then why did they sell so well? People must have just hated them that much.

Everyone "gambled" on the SUV because it sold, i think that they (im making reference to he big three not just GM) should have been more proactive with coming up with newer fuel saving ideas but im not in there position, there could be other factors in place, like why would they research extremely fuel efficient small cars; that, at the time, wouldn't sell so well? I sure as hell did see the gas prices spiking like they did, maybe they didn't either.

I def. agree with SUV - GM may have made a lot of SUVs but that's what people bought. People wanted SUVs, Hummers, big pick-up trucks. All this people criticizing GM for SUVs and gas...have they ever heard of the Ford F-150? Hmmm...I'm pretty sure pick-up trucks and SUVs both get really bad gas mileage. Yet Ford's number one selling 'car' was the F-150 pick-up truck.

The only thing I disagree is that they could see gas rising so quickly. Over time, anybody can figure out it's going to go up - but to jump up $3.00 in just a couple years is ridiculous. By the time the Big 3 figured out that gas would be on the rise so quickly - it was too late. Coming out with fuel efficient cars and hybrids is easier said than done. And I hate when people say "well foreign manufactures are smarter, they know how to make small, efficient cars" - of course they do - outside of the US almost everyone drives a 4cyl car. But it's not realistic for GM to (in the last 3 years) stop making SUVs and focus all their attention on making fuel efficient cars.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
StuMac

Drives: 2010 CMG 2SS
It's not that other countries are smarter, other countries were paying higher prices for gas long before North America got hit, so more people wanted fuel efficiency there. They just sent more of their efficient cars our way when gas prices spiked.

Cyber gray!
StuMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
dayvedayve

Drives: 2006 Chevy Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuMac View Post
It's not that other countries are smarter, other countries were paying higher prices for gas long before North America got hit, so more people wanted fuel efficiency there. They just sent more of their efficient cars our way when gas prices spiked.
Very good point that not too many people realize. Most countries were paying $4 / gallon almost a decade ago. GM/Ford didnt fail. They built what the market wanted. Unfortunately they were not able to flip to efficient vehicles in the instant that America sarted to panic over the price of gas. When people were driving SUVs/trucks it was by choice, not because that was all that was being built.
dayvedayve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayvedayve View Post
Very good point that not too many people realize. Most countries were paying $4 / gallon almost a decade ago. GM/Ford didnt fail. They built what the market wanted. Unfortunately they were not able to flip to efficient vehicles in the instant that America sarted to panic over the price of gas. When people were driving SUVs/trucks it was by choice, not because that was all that was being built.
Why did Nissan, Toyata, and even Honda go out and spend millions (billions?) of dollars trying to create their own SUV's and Pickup trucks? A lot of these pundits are insane and can't explain this simple question!
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote