Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-22-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
MJA03

Drives: 95 Camaro Z28
Active Fuel Management?

Although exact options on the new camaro have yet to be released I’ve been thinking about what options I would like, as I’m sure everyone else here has been too. I know I would opt for an standard over an automatic but how exactly does the Active Fuel Management work? Can you have it with a manual transmission? If you can’t how many of you would go with and auto over a standard just to have the active fuel management?
MJA03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Hmmm...a very good question/topic.

I'm all for AFM. But I would not opt for an Auto in order to get it. I think AFM is a very good option though.

Personally, all of my Camaro's have been manual transmissions, (with the exception of my first one) and I plan on keeping it that way. There's nothing like rowing through the gears, listening to that wonderful V8 rumble.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:13 PM   #3
hftech

Drives: 2000 Chevy Camaro Z28!
Crap, that is something to think about.... I like the idea of AFM.....BUT I can't deal with an automatic... I'll get the manual still, I just won't drive her to and from work everyday and I'll deal with sucking up with the gas price if she doesn't come with the AFM option for manual.
hftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
AFM is available on manuals and autos. Its based on engine load, accelerator position, and driving patterns.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:09 AM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
AFM is available on manuals and autos. Its based on engine load, accelerator position, and driving patterns.
+1. It works with both trannys, perfectly. And it's not an "option", per say. Either they put it in the engine, or they don't. ALL gen V's(engines) are supposed to get it. And the LS2 (vette) had it...
Old 10-23-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
+1. It works with both trannys, perfectly. And it's not an "option", per say. Either they put it in the engine, or they don't. ALL gen V's(engines) are supposed to get it. And the LS2 (vette) had it...
Ummmm, I don't believe the LS2 in the C6 has AFM. My brother's C6 doesn't have it, nor do any of the C6's I've seen. (Maybe I'm confused-AFM = cylinder deactivation? - I'm only on my 1st cup of coffee and not thinking clearly.)

Also, a little "speculation" regarding the engine which may be in the new Camaro; I'm thinking whatever the "lower" V8 model is, it'll have AFM, whereas the "high-end" V8 may not. But again, it's way too early to know with any certainty.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:01 AM   #7
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
active fuel management with dual exhaust

I found this post by someone else. I thought it was interesting because it suggests the exhaust from both engine heads, have to be combined into one pipe, even if you see two pipes at the muffler.
It also suggests (to me) there won't be active fuel management.
Here is his post (from http://www.worldcarfans.com/2051207.001/1.html)

I have a 2007 Silverado 5.3 active fuel management. I had dual uxhaust installed with a V Force muffler 3" in 2.5" dual out it sounds good as long as all eight cylenders are hitting when it shuts down to four cylenders it sounds like it is missing! Can anyone recomend a muffler that will not sound like that and still give me the benefits of dual exhaust?

Posted by LonnieSmith on Jul 24, 2007 at 3:04:12 AM
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:12 AM   #8
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Ummmm, I don't believe the LS2 in the C6 has AFM. My brother's C6 doesn't have it, nor do any of the C6's I've seen. (Maybe I'm confused-AFM = cylinder deactivation? - I'm only on my 1st cup of coffee and not thinking clearly.)
Maybe I'm deluded....I thought for sure it did.... Stupid, stupid, stupid....
Old 10-23-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
As far as I know the LS2 does not have AFM, but many other GM V8s have it. At the Los Angeles Auto Show last year the Chevy rep said in her presentation of the Camaro that it would have AFM, for what its worth. I agree with Moose, the base V8 will likely have AFM, but a seriously hi-po version may not.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #10
MJA03

Drives: 95 Camaro Z28
With that being said and the likely hood of the new camaro coming with AFM, is this something that we really want? Better gas mileage is always a plus with today’s gas prices and a great selling point to all the wives out there that probably otherwise wouldn’t let some buy the new car, but my only concern is what will it sound like? Ragtop brought up this great point and I know one of my first mods would be an exhaust and I don’t want anything other then the great sound of all American muscle.
MJA03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:23 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

Sound-shmound, it'll only activate when your cruising, IF your cruising...the minute you hammer it, our lovely rumble will be right back

As to ragtop's post...It suggests to me that this person modded his car with duals because he wanted the "advantages" of dual exausts...I'm not sold that it has anything to to with AFM and duals not working....
Old 10-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #12
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
I'll get one with AFM on it. Gas over here is a lot more expensive the over in the US.
Emher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:23 PM   #13
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could've sworn that I heard the Camaro was suppose to have great gas mileage, so seems though that would mean AFM is a give in. But if givin a choice between the top v-8 or a v-8 with AFM, I think I'd lean toward the AFM.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:34 PM   #14
Dunk31
Instigator

Drives: 93 Z28, 70 Chevelle SS 97 Expo
Location: Kandahar, Afghanistan/St. Louis will always be home though.
I guess I have a luxury that many here don't. The Camaro will not be my daily driver, but a weekend toy to keep the miles down. I don't know much about AFM, but in my situation I would lean toward without it if it were to make the car sound bad with aftermarket exhaust or rob even a little bit of power. But if there is no effects then I'm all for it. It's numbers as a Camaro community that we are looking for to keep it alive and that's what we need. Sales are what are gonna keep this care around for future generations to develop the same memories as we have over the years, not 1/4 mile speeds.
Dunk31 is offline   Reply With Quote