Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 10-26-2009, 07:42 AM   #29
Lordkane99

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNOLMT View Post
The wheels look good! Love the accent color! You should consider making your bowties the same color, or maybe some stripes.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #30
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Wink LOVE THE BLUE ANGEL!!!...

I just found your 'journal', Doc...very cool car...my Dad took us to see the Blue Angels a few times when we were kids...good times...
BTW, you got your Camaro @Mark Christopher Chevy..my oldest son's name is Mark Christopher...very cool coincidence...lol..
Old 10-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #31
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by "prima"Donna View Post
I just found your 'journal', Doc...very cool car...my Dad took us to see the Blue Angels a few times when we were kids...good times...
BTW, you got your Camaro @Mark Christopher Chevy..my oldest son's name is Mark Christopher...very cool coincidence...lol..
Well see!? You were destined for a Camaro and didn't even know it! lol

i got to see the Blue Angels perform when I was a kid; it was an awe-inspiring thing to see and I always loved the way they looked. Good times indeed. And thank you for the compliments Donna.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:17 PM   #32
anthonybyram

Drives: 1972 Z28, torch red,454
Love the stripes on the hood! There you go! Abygales idea on the bowties looks fantastic. I like the yellow border around it, draws your eyes to grille area. Are you going to do the BlueAngels logo on the fender too? That looks sweet right where youve got it. Thats going to be one eye-catching car you got there! It already is!
anthonybyram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:30 AM   #33
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybyram View Post
Love the stripes on the hood! There you go! Abygales idea on the bowties looks fantastic. I like the yellow border around it, draws your eyes to grille area. Are you going to do the BlueAngels logo on the fender too? That looks sweet right where youve got it. Thats going to be one eye-catching car you got there! It already is!
Yeah what you see there is the way the front half of the car is going to look. I just have to figure out what will compliment it on the back half. I'll do the rear bowtie like the front.

Once I get it lowered, get the 2-piece slotted brake rotors, get the striping, bowties and Blue Angel on the side... it should look beautiful and be like no other on the road. Fun project so far!!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 10-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #34
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
The photoshop looks really good!

Have you thought about having the blue angel script custom cut (as in metal emblems) and then powder coated the gold? I think emblems like that would look really good in place of the normal camaro fender badge.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #35
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Transformer
That car looks terrific, and is an excellent tribute!
wrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #36
Abygale

Drives: .
Doc, Blue Angel really stood out in the photos from your meet this weekend. Your car is very sharp and I can't wait to see pictures once you've lowered it!
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #37
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
I like that hurst shifter...

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:12 AM   #38
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post
The photoshop looks really good!

Have you thought about having the blue angel script custom cut (as in metal emblems) and then powder coated the gold? I think emblems like that would look really good in place of the normal camaro fender badge.
- X
Interesting idea; I'll have to look into that although I was thinking to have it painted on the side like the Blue Angel planes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrek View Post
That car looks terrific, and is an excellent tribute!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
Doc, Blue Angel really stood out in the photos from your meet this weekend. Your car is very sharp and I can't wait to see pictures once you've lowered it!
I can't wait either and thank you very much your Abyness; nothing like praise from the legendary Abygale to brighten up a guy's day

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbusa View Post
I like that hurst shifter...
Me too... the more I drive with it the more I like it.

Thank you everyone!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 10-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #39
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Doc it was nice to meet you at hurst on Saturday, That car dos look good you you have don a good job on it hope you think on adding the same color on the 3 louvers on the side hope to see you soon.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #40
TwoEcho
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-Imperial Blue
If you get the Blue Angels scritpt painted on, you should also have your name painted above the door or below the script like the pilots and crew chiefs do. BTW, I was kinda taken aback when I first saw that color combination, but it has really grown on me. That's a beautiful machine...

TwoEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #41
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Doc it was nice to meet you at hurst on Saturday, That car dos look good you you have don a good job on it hope you think on adding the same color on the 3 louvers on the side hope to see you soon.
Nice meeting you too! I'm looking at that idea and a few others; thank god for photoshop so I can try it before I buy it hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEcho View Post
If you get the Blue Angels scritpt painted on, you should also have your name painted above the door or below the script like the pilots and crew chiefs do. BTW, I was kinda taken aback when I first saw that color combination, but it has really grown on me. That's a beautiful machine...
Thanks! Once all the complimentary details are added the wheels will fit the overall look. Hopefully when I'm done it will be something the Blue Angels team would like and appreciate. It would be cool to actually get them to sign the car if I ever get the chance to meet them. You never know!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 11-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #42
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Latest change:

At the 1700 mile mark I replaced the engine oil and filter with Royal Purple 5w30 and one of their high performance filters. Changed the transmission and differential fluids with Royal Purple Max Gear 75w90 gear oil. The oil that came out of the differential looked like mud and smelled horrible, like the nastiest oil refinery smell you can think of. Glad I changed it!

The effects were immediate. The engine idles smoother and it's noticeably quieter inside the car; the mechanical drive-train noise is virtually gone now. I can feel how much smoother the car drives; it feels like it glides down the road now.

If anyone wants to make a nice improvement in the way their car rides and sounds, I highly recommend this upgrade. You can get the oils and filter at either Pep Boys or Autozone. If you have a manual trans SS (which is what I have) then it takes 8 qts of 5w30 motor oil, 4.2 qts of Max Gear 75w90 oil for the trans, and 1 qt Max Gear 75w90 for the differential. The 5w30 motor oil was $8.99 a qt, the filter Royal Purple #10-48 was $14.99, the Max Gear 75w90 was $15.99 a qt. So depending on what your sales tax is, somewhere around $175 for everything. If you have someplace do the labor for you, you can add that to the cost.

The trans and differential won't need changing again for at least 50,000 miles...probably closer to 100,000 the way these new cars are made. The engine oil with an oil like this will probably last 7,500 miles easily. Royal Purple is great stuff; I've used it for years and it does work as advertised!

EDITING CORRECTION:
I emailed Royal Purple to get a clarification on the trans oil and received a reply which states that Max Gear 75w90 is NOT recommended for the manual trans in an SS; it's Synchromax. Here's the reply:

The Tremec TR6060 manual 6 speed comes from the factory with an atf - we recommend our RP Synchromax part # 01512 as a first choice with our RP maxi part # 01320 as a secondary choice.

Using an EP gear oil is not recommended in this T-56 derived transmission - so the RP MaxGear 75W90 is not recommended.

Thanks,

David

David Canitz
Tech Services
Royal Purple Inc.
1 Royal Purple lane
Porter, TX 77365
713.725.7207 cell
dcanitz@royalpurple.com

I'll be switching my trans to Synchromax on Tuesday.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM

Last edited by Doc; 11-01-2009 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Info update

Tags
camaro of the week