Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-20-2014, 07:04 AM   #71
marolf101x

Drives: 2010 Test Mule
"Can your camber plate be used with any other coilover/shock "
I am investigating that question right now.

Basically our upper mount uses a bearing that has a 0.75" ID.
If your current mount is 0.75" it should work just fine.

The length is specific to our strut, however this is a strut, which is almost 1:1 motion ratio, with 5" of total travel, so a change of +/-0.25" at the mount height will not affect anything.
marolf101x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #72
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
According to the instructions, ride height is adjusted with spring preload. How does one adjust ride height and get the car corner balanced?
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #73
marolf101x

Corner balance is set up just like any other "traditional" coil over, by adding or removing wedge by increasing or decreasing the preload of the spring.

More important is static weight distribution. You need to physically move weight around the car to get it as balanced as you can (or to whatever your goal is). This is a coarse adjustment where large gains can be made. Corner balancing via the coil over is a fine adjustment that has the downside of changing physical ride height. On a dedicated race car this is typically not a problem as they are only turning one way, or know the turns and amount of travel required. This is much more difficult on a street car where the road is unknown.

When designing our struts we looked at making the lower mount adjustable. Though ride height adjustment independent of spring preload is nice, Fox shot down the idea early on due to concerns of keeping the lower adjuster tight. To design it correctly (meaning if a locking device came loose the strut would not fall apart) required expensive machining and components which would ultimately make the selling price quite a bit higher. So the decision was made pretty early on to keep the "traditional" set up of adjusting vehicle height with spring preload.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #74
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Approximately how much negative camber and caster can be added with the offset holes. Would it be possible to run a tire friendly alignment setting, then put an aggressive alignment at the track and then return to the street alignment at the end of the day?
Buttonwillow 2:23.736
Sacramento Raceway 12.89 at 112 mph
Thunderhill 2:22.242
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:02 AM   #75
marolf101x

I'll have to look at the actual numbers on Monday, but the quick answer is YES you can have a very aggressive track setting and a normal street setting.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #76
kyle@ridetech.com

Drives: 1969 SS/RS Camaro
The front strut uses a 6" travel cartridge. The rear uses a 3.6" stroke shock. The standard rates that come in the kit (which can be swapped to any different rate with no additional cost) are a 275 in/lb in the front and a 500 in/lb in the rear. The motion ratios we used are the same as the factory. The front being a strut is damn near a perfect 1:1 ratio and if memory serves me right the rear is like a 1.5:1 ratio. I don't know that for sure, but I can measure it and find out.
kyle@ridetech.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #77
kyle@ridetech.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
For some reason my calculations kept coming up with 0.75:1 for the rear, but I just measured it at 1.59:1 with a 4" stroke.
The stroke of the shock should have nothing to do with the motion ratio. The motion ratio is the mechanical advantage (lever ratio) that the wheel has over the spring in compressing it. It can get a little confusing when expressing it as a ratio. Basically, you will measure from the control arm pivot point to the shock mount We'll call that dimension A. Then, you will measure from that same pivot to the ball joint. Or, in the case of a rear suspension, the upright pivot. We'll call that dimension B. If you divide dimension A by dimension be it will give you a decimal. Let's say from your pivot to the shock mount is 5" and from your pivot to your ball joint is 10". If you divide 5 by ten, you come up with .5. This is expressed as a 2:1 ratio. For every two inches the wheel moves, the shock only moves an inch. Hope this helps.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #78
130R

Drives: SS
No, I get it. I didn't know if there was a rising or falling rate so I mentioned the 4" stroke of the shock I'm using as I will obviously measure more wheel travel.
130R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #79
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Well seems like you guys better make twice as many as you had planned. You get Pfadts sales now by default. Good time to release these then. No Pedders and No Pfadt...

I hope these are as good as they seem like they will be.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #80
Anaconda

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 6-speed VR
I wonder if there will be a group buy? :group hug:
Anaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:09 PM   #81
kyle@ridetech.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Well seems like you guys better make twice as many as you had planned. You get Pfadts sales now by default. Good time to release these then. No Pedders and No Pfadt...

There was a LOT of R&D that went into the development of these CoilOvers, so it's not just hype. I'm not a big fan of getting the sales by default. I would have much rather seen our product as the go to coil over because they truly are the best one on the market.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #82
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle@ridetech.com View Post
There was a LOT of R&D that went into the development of these CoilOvers, so it's not just hype. I'm not a big fan of getting the sales by default. I would have much rather seen our product as the go to coil over because they truly are the best one on the market.
Believe me I'm convinced you guys worked hard to get these the way you wanted them. As far as sales by default... a sale is a sale is a sale.

One question though. Is there any reason why you didn't use an inverted design? I really liked that about the Pfadts.

Also before today's events I was looking hard at your product. I was waiting to see what people thought of them.

I'm looking to get a set in a couple of months, so there would be plenty of time for reviews to come out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #83
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle@ridetech.com View Post
Sometimes you end up gaining from the misfortune of others and it is a strange position to be in. Companies like RideTech and BMR are in the middle of exactly that right now. However, having personal and professional hands on experience with the products from both of those companies I can say that their products stand on their own. Options may be fewer today than they were a couple months ago, but the 5th Gen Camaro community still has outstanding suspension and chassis products available from companies that have stood the test of time.

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 02-25-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #84
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Believe me I'm convinced you guys worked hard to get these the way you wanted them. As far as sales by default... a sale is a sale is a sale.

One question though. Is there any reason why you didn't use an inverted design? I really liked that about the Pfadts.

Also before today's events I was looking hard at your product. I was waiting to see what people thought of them.

I'm looking to get a set in a couple of months, so there would be plenty of time for reviews to come out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
There is no need to wait. You can order them today on the RideTech website. http://www.ridetech.com/store/2010-u...hq-series.html
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote