Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: What engine would you like to see in Z28?
LS9 113 36.69%
LSA 89 28.90%
Hybrid LS9/LSA (maybe to keep costs down) 25 8.12%
Generation 5 34 11.04%
SC/TC'd V6 13 4.22%
LS7 72 23.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #85
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
I dont wannnna wait for two years to buy a Z/28!!!!!!!!!

Okay I feel a little better now.....

Last edited by ShnOmac; 10-09-2009 at 07:32 PM.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #86
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Drives: Long Distances
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnomac77 View Post
I dont think my wage increases are keeping up with car price increases 50k is alot of money!
Nor mine!
Old 10-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #87
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
Ive never read much on the emissions of hotcams but still, that was just a cam swap, GM could do so many other things to the engine to boost hp, keep it emissions legal, and still mass produce it into the Z/28. Also the LS7 is around 100lbs lighter than the LSA (after weight from parts and fluids) and there was a post on the homepage here that said GM would be taking steps towards cutting weight on the Z/28...i support it cause its just a better solution to what we're looking for, its lighter, can easily be brought to the same power as the LSA, and its an N/A engine so it will most likely be more reliable and an easier daily-driver than either a supercharged version or the GT500 for that matter
The LSA has 51hp and 76lbs of torque advantage over the LS7, but one thing that we should not forget is the power curve. I think the LSA makes like 400lbs of torque at Idle!! It would not be enough to just drop the LS7 in the Camaro since it will compete against the GT-500 which is underated and putting down over 500hp at the wheels stock. Also Remeber the 2011 modely year GT-500 will switch to an alluminum block, cutting about 100lbs off the nose of the car and increasing its handeling and accerleration. Without significantly more hp and cutting atleast 300lbs of wieght, an LS7 camaro is going to be left in the dust.

edit: Though probaly the most fun to drive.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #88
gold5000000

Drives: n/a
LS9 FTW
gold5000000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #89
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
As much as we know the LSA and LS9, I'd like to see the next generation made production. We're due for new engines, and GM should not be using the current line of engines in 5 years. I'm only thinking 5 years ahead because any 2011 Z28 would have to come out in 2010 with an engine that would probably stay in production for that long. Why would we want to keep using 5-year-old technology before it was implemented when GM has been developing new technologies, like VVT and DI? There's a whole generation of engines that we have not seen. There's a saying that it is better to have the devil you know than the devil you don't. I don't think this applies very well to high-performance engines. There's new technology that we should be using but aren't.

I'd also like GM to start competing with Ford's EcoBoost. We need turbo V6s.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #90
Snyder_Camaro

Drives: 2007 Honda CRV EX-L (for now)
I would LOVE to have the LS9, but quite frankly, I just don't see them putting it in a Z/28. Largely due to the fact, it could affect the price and/or sales of the ZR1. I mean, why purchase the ZR1 when I could get a Z/28 with the same engine for a 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

Likely candidate is the LSA (which I think has been confirmed) or LS7.

Regardless of what powerplant goes in, it'll be one damn fine car!
Snyder_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #91
97one

Drives: 2016 & 1967 Camaro, 2015 Impala, +1
Question

[QUOTE=Snyder_Camaro;1235829]

Where did you read that the LSA or LS7 has been confirmed ?

I would be happy with any V8 as long as it's supercharged....

97one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:43 PM   #92
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder_Camaro View Post
I would LOVE to have the LS9, but quite frankly, I just don't see them putting it in a Z/28. Largely due to the fact, it could affect the price and/or sales of the ZR1. I mean, why purchase the ZR1 when I could get a Z/28 with the same engine for a 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

Regardless of what powerplant goes in, it'll be one damn fine car!
nothings been confirmed. no official press release saying that the Z28 was back on. just some MT, autoblog, etc articles saying that it was back on

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97one View Post

Where did you read that the LSA or LS7 has been confirmed ?

I would be happy with any V8 as long as it's supercharged....

what would you do if there was a Direct Injection V8 puting out over 550 hp with out a supercharger?
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #93
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
nothings been confirmed. no official press release saying that the Z28 was back on. just some MT, autoblog, etc articles saying that it was back on

what would you do if there was a Direct Injection V8 puting out over 550 hp with out a supercharger?
You had me at supercharger

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #94
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
You had me at supercharger
lol. so you wouldn't buy it? I'll buy it either way. what I prefer and what it is will probably be different and I'm ok with that.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #95
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
lol. so you wouldn't buy it? I'll buy it either way. what I prefer and what it is will probably be different and I'm ok with that.
It depends. Now, if we're talking about Z28 being only marinally faster than SS, starting at like $45K, probably not. My assumption, for referrence, is Z28 is going to coome with LSA and magneto' shocks (I don't know nor have I heard anything though). I'm hoping for a few select suspension components that are aluminum or maybe some other weight savings, too. Having outlined that quickly, I know I can already go faster in SS with a TVS 2300 on it (again - assuming I'm correct); add some Xas on it, and it's not even funny (especially if it doesn't come with the shocks). I really don't think, if Z28 comes with LSA, that it's going to have significantly more power than the CTS-V, so that's my reasoning there. I also don't think that unless it comes with magneto' shocks, that it would perform better than SS with Xas (or similar - I'm not only trying to push them; they're just who I know a little more about ). So to answer your question: I don't know. I love Z28 and all it's stood for. If it comes with 550 horse, and isn't supercharged, probably; but it would have to have some weight savings and would have to not come into GT500 price territory. I don't see the price territory happening, so I'm left feeling doubtful. I might just have to add Z28 nameplates, after my SS nameplates, kinda' like what SLP did with the first prepro' versions of the '96 Z28SS, lol. Unfortunately for more traditional Z28 loyalists, I want more of a touring bull, like I look at the GT500, than I do a stripper car, that costs like an older Cobra R.

That's just me though I just hope it comes, and comes without hybrid power, lol.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 12-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #96
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
It depends. Now, if we're talking about Z28 being only marinally faster than SS, starting at like $45K, probably not. My assumption, for referrence, is Z28 is going to coome with LSA and magneto' shocks (I don't know nor have I heard anything though). I'm hoping for a few select suspension components that are aluminum or maybe some other weight savings, too. Having outlined that quickly, I know I can already go faster in SS with a TVS 2300 on it (again - assuming I'm correct); add some Xas on it, and it's not even funny (especially if it doesn't come with the shocks). I really don't think, if Z28 comes with LSA, that it's going to have significantly more power than the CTS-V, so that's my reasoning there. I also don't think that unless it comes with magneto' shocks, that it would perform better than SS with Xas (or similar - I'm not only trying to push them; they're just who I know a little more about ). So to answer your question: I don't know. I love Z28 and all it's stood for. If it comes with 550 horse, and isn't supercharged, probably; but it would have to have some weight savings and would have to not come into GT500 price territory. I don't see the price territory happening, so I'm left feeling doubtful. I might just have to add Z28 nameplates, after my SS nameplates, kinda' like what SLP did with the first prepro' versions of the '96 Z28SS, lol. Unfortunately for more traditional Z28 loyalists, I want more of a touring bull, like I look at the GT500, than I do a stripper car, that costs like an older Cobra R.

That's just me though I just hope it comes, and comes without hybrid power, lol.
for most of us I'm sure that we are expecting suspension upgrades with this increased price. if it was just an engine no there's no reason to pay that much more. but I'm thinking a DI v8 with that range in hp would actually save you weight over the LSA and help keep the 52/48 ratio. then add in the improved suspension and we've got a winner for better performance all around.

like you I really do want my leather seats. lol. now if they are heated or not I don't care. but give me leather and a good radio with an input jack I'll be happy.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #97
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
for most of us I'm sure that we are expecting suspension upgrades with this increased price. if it was just an engine no there's no reason to pay that much more. but I'm thinking a DI v8 with that range in hp would actually save you weight over the LSA and help keep the 52/48 ratio. then add in the improved suspension and we've got a winner for better performance all around.

like you I really do want my leather seats. lol. now if they are heated or not I don't care. but give me leather and a good radio with an input jack I'll be happy.
I think it comes more down to value, than anything else. I can justify paying GT500 money as long as I get the performance and value. I'm with you on the weight, for sure. Plus-1 on the seats and the radio, lol. Real leather too while we're talking about it

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 12-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #98
trns4mur

Drives: 2010 ss
We put the LS9 in a new Camaro already

http://www.examiner.com/x-8811-Detro...The-Camaro-ZR1
trns4mur is offline   Reply With Quote