Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-26-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Camaro Manual Transmission

When reading Motortrend.com's review of the new Caddy CTS, I ran across this tidbit...

"Two six-speed transmissions are available: GM's new 6L50 automatic and the Aisin Warner AY6 manual. The auto ...

Probably barely two percent of American CTS customers will opt for the six-speed manual. Even so, Caddy engineers have put considerable time and effort into optimizing it for the car. The second, third, and fourth gear ratios were changed late in the program as a direct result of testing on the Nordschleife, says Rob Kotarak. (Good news for manual Camaro buyers: Your cars will get this gear set, too.) Though there's no difference-according to Cadillac's figures-between the straight-line performance of manual or automatic cars equipped with the top of the range 3.6-liter DI engine, the manual car clearly feels quicker around the 'Ring, punching harder out of corners and with less of a gap between the second and third ratios. In fact, says Sigma products development manager Rick Kewley, the manual is five to eight seconds a lap faster."

I am VERY encouraged about the new 5th Gen the more I read... but I thought you'd all like to know (since a lot of us will opt for the manual).

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:56 PM   #2
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
I always figured it would get the T56
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
I assumed it was getting the new 6 speed (T6060??).
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Sweetness.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:33 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Yeah, I thought it would get the T-56, too. I wouldn't trust Motortrend too much. I mean, they are a magazine, right? It sounds like they're assuming because the new cars are getting it, so will the Camaro. It makes sense, the T-56, however good it is, is old (comparitively). It's about time they replaced it, I guess.

Does anybody know anything about this new, Aisin Warner AY6 manual?....(cough) whiterag? (cough)
Old 07-26-2007, 07:50 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham

This is directly off of the GM powertrain site...All I could find,
Aisin AY6 (MV1) Car Transmission

Quote:
2007 Model Year Summary
Aisin AY6 six-speed manual transmission

 No Changes For The 2007 Model Year

LOW MAINTENANCE

The MV1 uses conventional 75W90 gear oil, and no maintenance is required under normal operating conditions. Fluid changes are recommended for severe duty. A hydraulic clutch eliminates adjustments throughout the lifespan of the transmission.

OVERVIEW
The Aisin AY6 is a unique transmission design for Aisin, and the Cadillac CTS for the 2005 Model Year was one of its first applications. It features an uncommon “tailset” design. Compared to a conventional rear-drive manual transmission, the tailset design utilizes a long input shaft supported by a short output shaft, which is the converse of a traditional two-axis manual transmission design which uses a “headset” design. Because of the new path of the torque flow, the gearsets carry less torque and operate at a higher rpm compared to a conventional manual transmission. Therefore, the transmission can handle more torque than a similar-size headset design manual. The countershaft of the transmission remains a conventional design.

With the addition of the higher-output High-Feature V6 engine to the Cadillac CTS, a new six-speed manual transmission from Aisin replaced the previous Getrag 260 five-speed manual transmission. The Aisin AY6 will handle the increased torque from the 2.8-liter and 3.6-liter V6 engines, and features lower shift efforts for easier shifting, closer ratios for more rewarding high-performance driving, and quieter operation.

The closely spaced ratios were specified by GM Powertrain and are unique to the CTS application. The ratios allow even stepping between gears and are optimized to the power characteristics of the engines.

The AY6’s tailset design reduces the inertia required by the synchronizers to match gearset speeds during an upshift or a downshift. This reduces the demand on the synchronizers, which in turn reduces the amount of effort by the driver to shift gears. The tailset design also reduces the length of the output shaft, which is typically the source of noise in a conventional manual transmission when the powertrain is idling in neutral.

It features a synchronized reverse gear, and a case made of aluminum. All synchronizers use brass material for their friction surfaces, a softer, more common material that is allowed by the reduced demands on the synchronizers.

Clutch actuation is through a concentric release bearing, a common method of ensuring a linear actuation, which translates to a higher-quality pedal feel for the driver.

The shift rail inside the transmission is located near the top of the case, and attaches to the shifter through a small coupling, similar to the previous Getrag design. This design allows all shift efforts to be transmitted to the transmission rather than a portion derailed into the car’s body.

The Aisin AY6 is built in Anjo City, Japan.

Type: rear wheel drive, six-speed manual transmission
Engine range:.........................2.8L - 3.6L
Maximum engine torque:...........345 Nm (255 lb-ft)
Gear ratios:
First:....................................4.15
Second:................................2.33
Third:...................................1.53
Fourth:.................................1.15
Fifth:....................................1
Six:......................................0.79
Reverse:...............................-3.67
Final Drive Ratio:.....................3.42, 3.73
Case material:........................aluminum
Center distance:.....................85mm
Fluid type:.............................75W90
Transmission weight: wet:........57.2 kg (126 lb)
Fluid capacity (approximate):....1.8L (1.9 qt)
Power take off:.......................no
Applications:...........................Cadillac CTS
From what I understand from this article, it's a Cadillac-only tranny, but there are different versions of it that are in use in the Solstice, and Hummer, and I'm sure a few others...

Although I know there's little to be done about it, this prickled me a little: "The Aisin AY6 is built in Anjo City, Japan."

Last edited by Mr. Wyndham; 07-26-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
Warghost

Drives: Camaros & Mustangs
Nice. It's getting a tailset design and hydraulic clutch. Both of these designs are utilized by the Mustang. It's good to see that Camaro will have everything that the new Stangs have. That is assuming the Camaro will get this tranny, which I'm sure it will.

Remember, Chevy is relying on this car to pull it out of a slump, so I can see them adding a lot of nice features in this car.
Warghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:59 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham

Because I'm an overachiever, I also found info about the 6L50 Auto...
Quote:
2007 Hydra-Matic 6L50 (MYB)

2007 Model Year Summary
Hydra-Matic 6L50 six-speed automatic rear- or all-wheel-drive Car & Truck transmission

● All-new Six-Speed Automatic Transmission
● New applications: Cadillac STS, SRX
● Modular Design For Application Flexibility

Full descriptions of new or changed features

ALL-NEW SIX-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
The new Hydra-Matic 6L50 six-speed automatic transmission is derived from the same modular design as the 6L80, however it uses a slightly smaller aluminum case with gearsets, carriers, input and output shafts and bearings having been optimized for applications that require less torque handling capability than the 6L80. This results in an overall mass reduction and enables a more efficient vehicle.

NEW APPLICATIONS: CADILLAC STS, SRX
The new Hydra-Matic 6L50 transmission debuts in the 2007 Model Year rear-drive and all-wheel-drive Cadillac STS V8 performance sedan, as well as the Cadillac SRX V8 crossover vehicle. The STS and SRX get the six-speed transmission mated to the optional Northstar 4.6L V8 engine.

MODULAR DESIGN FOR APPLICATION FLEXIBILITY
The 6L80 was designed to accept different engines and different mounting locations, as well as the ability to mate to transfer cases for all-wheel-drive capability. It is derived from the similar 6L80 rear- and all-wheel-drive capable six-speed automatic transmission available in the Chevrolet Corvette, the Cadillac XLR, as well as Cadillac and GMC full-size SUVs.

OVERVIEW
The all-new Hydra-Matic 6L50 six-speed automatic transmission for rear- and all-wheel-drive cars is designed with the same modular flexibility as the larger 6L80, as well as being fully compatible with advanced electronic controls. Its unique output gearset configuration enables it to have a wider range of ratios than a conventional planetary gearset automatic transmission.

The main housing for both the STS sedan and the SRX crossover vehicle is identical. The modular concept of the new Hydra-Matic 6L50 centers on the desire for common components and manufacturing tooling for four different size variants of the new 6-speed family. Like the larger 6L80, the 6L50 uses three gearsets, a simple input planetary gearset, and two output gearsets, one of which is a compound gearset with three pairs of two pinion gears on the output carrier, one pair meshing with the sun gear and the other with the ring gear. This arrangement allows for optimal ratio steps with a 6.04:1 overall spread.

All applications feature adaptive shift controls. Several additional features such as grade braking, Performance Algorithm Shifting, and Driver Shift Control are available on some of the applications. Performance Algorithm Shifting (PAS), which detects when the vehicles are being driven in a spirited fashion and remains in its current gear ratio even when the driver lifts a foot off the accelerator pedal. PAS monitors how assertively the driver is using engine output to determine at what engine speed to upshift of downshift. Driver Shift Control, available in the STS and SRX, allows the driver to shift the transmission like a clutchless manual gearbox. Electronic safeguards prevent over-revving should the wrong gear position be accidentally selected.

The wide overall ratio spread of 6.04:1 allows a “steep” first gear, as well as very “tall” overdrive top gear for low-rpm highway cruising. Acceleration is maximized, as is fuel economy. Engine noise is also lower during cruising. Both fifth and sixth gears are “overdrive” gears, for example.

Gear changes from second to sixth gear ratios are accomplished with clutch-to-clutch action, where an “oncoming” clutch is engaged and an “offgoing” clutch is released in a precise manner to achieve the ratio change. The first-to-second upshift, however, is a freewheeling action, where the second gear clutch engages while the first gear one-way clutch spins freely. This allows a greater degree of smoothness at lower vehicle speeds. The manner in which each gear is selected in the 6L50 is optimized for best performance.

Advances in transmission control modules allow the modules to exist reliably inside the transmission, where temperatures remain fairly constant compared to a body-mounted module. The smaller size of the module means the transmission case can be more compact. The transmission and module are assembled together, so no additional steps are necessary during vehicle assembly.

The 32-bit transmission control module (TCM) monitors transmission performance and compensates for normal wear in components such as clutch plates, so transmission performance remains consistent for the life of the transmission. The control module also “tests” the components of the transmission following assembly to optimize the interaction of the components. The module strategy, developed by GM Powertrain, is compatible with future global applications.

The STS and SRX use a 258mm diameter torque converter which features a twin-plate lockup clutch, which also makes use of GM’s proprietary electronic controlled capacity clutch (ECCC) technology. ECCC uses a small, regulated amount of slip to dampen out engine pulses. This creates a smoother running drivetrain, especially during shift events.

The 6L50 all-wheel-drive transfer case in the Cadillac STS application uses an open center differential. The transfer case was upgraded with a heavy-duty drive chain and a larger flange for the output shaft constant velocity joint to handle the greater torque output from the 6L50 first gear. This transfer case is similar but smaller in size than the transfer case used by the 6L80 in the Cadillac Escalade SUVs.

Low maintenance
The 6L50 uses DEXRON® VI premium fluid, which is validated to improve durability and shift stability over the life of the transmission. DEXRON® VI, was developed to have a more consistent viscosity profile; a more consistent shift performance in extreme conditions; and less degradation over time. Internal GM tests have demonstrated DEXRON® VI delivers more than twice the durability and stability in friction tests compared to existing fluids. The DEXRON® VI fluid was designed specifically and validated for the new family of GM six-speed automatic transmissions.

The Hydra-Matic 6L50 is produced in Ypsilanti, Michigan.

Type: six speed RWD / AWD, electronically controlled automatic overdrive transmission with torque converter clutch. Clutch-to-clutch architecture, with integral Electro / Hydraulic Controls Module
Maximum engine power:......315 bhp ( 235 kw )
Maximum engine torque:......332 lb-ft ( 450 Nm )
Maximum gearbox torque:....480 lb-ft ( 651Nm )
Gear ratios:......................MYB
First:...............................4.06
Second:...........................2.37
Third:..............................1.55
Fourth:............................1.16
Fifth:...............................0.85
Sixth:..............................0.67
Reverse:..........................-3.2
Maximum shift speed...........7000 rpm
Maximum Validated Weights: ( Target ) GVW: 6613 lb ( 3000 kg ), GCVW: 12505 lb ( 5672kg )
7-position quadrant: P, R, N, D, X, X, X ( X = available calibratable range position )
Case description: 3-piece ( Bell, main, extension )
Case material: die cast aluminum
Shift pattern: (2) Three-way on/off solenoids
Shift quality: Five variable bleed solenoid
Torque converter clutch: Variable Bleed Solenoid ECCC
Converter size: 258, 280mm ( reference )
Fluid type: DEXRON® VI
Transmission weight: w/258mm converter wet: 85-90 kg ( 187-198 lb ) estimated
Pressure taps available: line pressure

Assembly sites: GMPT Strasbourg, France
GMPT Ypsilanti, MI

Applications: Cadillac STS
Cadillac SRX
Available Control Features: Multiple Shift Patterns ( Selectable or Adaptive ), Driver Shift Control ( Tap Up / Tap Down ), Enhanced Performance Algorithm Shifting ( PAS II ), Next Generation Tow / Haul Mode, Engine Torque Management On All Shifts, Altitude and Temperature Compensation, Adaptive Shift Time, Neutral Idle, Reverse Lockout, Automatic Grade Braking, Additional Features: Oil Life Monitor, OBDII / EOBD, Integral Electro/Hydraulic Controls Module ( Tehcm ), Control Interface Protocol - GMLAN
As the previous quote prickled me, this one tickled me: " The Hydra-Matic 6L50 is produced in Ypsilanti, Michigan."

Last edited by Mr. Wyndham; 07-26-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:28 PM   #9
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
I highly doubt that the Aisin AY6 six-speed manual transmission will be in the V8 Camaro just because of the 255 lb-ft of torque it can handle. Probably good for the V6 but the LS3 will be making al least 150+ more torque.

Secondly, it only has one overdrive in sixth and to get the maximum fuel economy, its gonna need two overdrives like both the T-56 and the Hydra-Matic 6L50. They both have two overdrives and are only on the V8 options, so I presume the 6L50 or something close will be the V8 auto. I dont have a clue whats in store for the V8, probably looking at whatever Holden has is the best bet.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:17 PM   #10
JeepinMatt

I wonder if the Aisin will end up on the V6 versions, but I'd bet that a T56 variant will be on the V8 versions. Btw Aisin is part of Toyota. Kinda ironic, don't you think?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:34 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinMatt View Post
I wonder if the Aisin will end up on the V6 versions, but I'd bet that a T56 variant will be on the V8 versions. Btw Aisin is part of Toyota. Kinda ironic, don't you think?
Just as Ironic as the Tremec T56 being in both the Shelby GT500, AND the Corvette? hmmm?:eek:
Old 07-31-2007, 07:44 AM   #12
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
The Shelby GT500 has a TR-6060 and from what I understand the Pontiac G8 will have a TR-6060 too. So it wouldn't be too far fetched if the Camaro did too.

The gear ratios on the 2007 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500:
1st: 2.97
2nd: 1.78
3rd: 1.30
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.80
6th: 0.63

The gear ratios on the 2008 Pontiac G8 GT:
1st: 3.01
2nd: 2.07
3rd: 1.43
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.84
6th: 0.57

EDIT: I also just read that the TR-6060 will be in the 2008 Corvette and 2009 Dodge Challenger!!!! Aside from this tranny being the modern muscle car tranny, it looks like I am about to start buying stock in Tremec transmissions.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:50 PM   #13
CamaroLovers
Chevy Luv

Drives: Chevrolet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Because I'm an overachiever, I also found info about the 6L50 Auto...
As the previous quote prickled me, this one tickled me: " The Hydra-Matic 6L50 is produced in Ypsilanti, Michigan."
Same here...another good reason to pick the auto trans
1986 IROC
1988 Camaro w/LS1
2001 Black Z28
CamaroLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:00 PM   #14
JeepinMatt

Stick shift all the way!!