Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #29
SuperCarEnthusiast

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
The current Camaro 3.6 is a DOHC engine and with twin turbos would be heavier than the 418lb LS3. The 3.6 weighs somewhere around 380-410lbs I believe so with the addition of the twin turbo's, plumbing and heat exchanger/intercooler would make it a heavier engine than the LS3. The V6 Camaro weighs 3741lbs alone, that is of course with the lighter engine, lighter transmission, suspension, exhaust, wheel/tires and select other pieces the V6 has than the SS does not.

I'm with Blizzard on this one, reducing the weight in the Camaro by 100-150lbs is impossible especially with the suspension that would be going on the Z28. They could lose close to 100lbs by using the Corvettes Transverse Leaf Spring rear suspension setup with the Corvette's IRS. The Camaro's complete rear suspension, differential and IRS system together weighs something like 375+lbs... That's almost just as much as the LS3 weighs.. that would explain the near 50/50 front and rear weight distribution. If GM used a solid rear axle, the Camaro would lose about 225lbs right off the bat... but it will never happen.

"
Walk around and interview with the Design Manager in charge of the 2010 Twin Turbo Chevrolet Camaro built for Jay Leno at the 2009 SEMA Show. Here the details about this one of kind Camaro powered by a Twin Turbo charged V6. Todd Parker describes Jay's goals and design ideas that went into building this muscle car that is ahead of it's time.

" Read the message post on this video too. These are the racetrack players.
SuperCarEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #30
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCarEnthusiast View Post

Walk around and interview with the Design Manager in charge of the 2010 Twin Turbo Chevrolet Camaro built for Jay Leno at the 2009 SEMA Show. Here the details about this one of kind Camaro powered by a Twin Turbo charged V6. Todd Parker describes Jay's goals and design ideas that went into building this muscle car that is ahead of it's time.

Even though Todd Parker commented that the twin turbo V6 is lighter than the LS3, I still honestly believe that the LS3 is lighter. The direct injection 3.6 weighs 370-380lbs dry and the addition of the two turbo units, the extra plumbing, heat exchanger, the air to air intercooler and all the fluids would be well over 100lbs. It wouldn't surprise me if the entire twin turbo LLT 3.6, ready to run weighed 500lbs easy. I don't know for sure, but the LLT's compression ratio is 11.4:1, I'm wondering if GM opened up the engine or not. It looks like Jay's Camaro uses an under belly twin turbo system so there is a decent amount of plumbing there. The V6's accessories should weigh the about the same as the V8's like the power steering, air conditioning ect ect. The transmission might be lighter than the Tremec and the Hydra-matic the SS uses but it won't be any more than 30-40lbs. Todd is correct when he says the V6 weighs less but when you put the twin turbo kit on there it surpasses the LS3. I know that the LFX 3.6 is 20lbs lighter than the LLT 3.6 (basically the same engine) but as far as I know, the LLT 3.6 is identical to the LY7 3.6 other than the direct injection... so weight should be exactly the same.

This is GM doing public research and development and using a household name to attract attention. There is no better name to put on a car to attract attention then Jay Leno. GM has been doing a lot of celebrity Camaro builds lately so it must be working. Great setup though, it just isn't lighter than the LS3 equipped SS and the fact that Todd didn't even weigh the car to confirm his beliefs doesn't hold a lot of weight with me... (pun intended)
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #31
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCarEnthusiast View Post

"

The LS3 weighs in at 415lbs the 3.6 at 370lbs. Now add on 40lbs for Turbonetics T-3 turbochargers which are on the Leno Camaro and that gives you 410lbs without plumbing for the twin turbo v6. It does not save weight. Also that 3.6 was more then likely custom built to withstand the add boost pressure for long periods of time.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #32
thePill
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
The LS3 weighs in at 415lbs the 3.6 at 370lbs. Now add on 40lbs for Turbonetics T-3 turbochargers which are on the Leno Camaro and that gives you 410lbs without plumbing for the twin turbo v6. It does not save weight. Also that 3.6 was more then likely custom built to withstand the add boost pressure for long periods of time.
I gotta agree with the custom built 3.6, the compression is way too high in the LLT to be twin turbocharged. Like I said in the last post, you add in the heat exchanger, air to air intercooler, the plumbing and all the fluids and it will be pretty close to 500lbs if not more.

Edit: The Turbonetics T-3 turbos are only using 7lbs of boost. At 11.4:1 compression, it's possible to run 7lbs of boost without touching the internals. The thing is, they never really show the engine that much because this is a working GM Ecotech prototype NOT a Jay Leno special edition. Similar to the Twinforce (now Ecoboost) 3.5 V6 monster Ford had in 2008-2009. GM should rename "Ecotec" to "Lenoboost" to gain 10 extra horsepower...
Old 05-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #33
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Quote:
I gotta agree with the custom built 3.6, the compression is way too high in the LLT to be twin turbocharged. Like I said in the last post, you add in the heat exchanger, air to air intercooler, the plumbing and all the fluids and it will be pretty close to 500lbs if not more.

Edit: The Turbonetics T-3 turbos are only using 7lbs of boost. At 11.4:1 compression, it's possible to run 7lbs of boost without touching the internals. The thing is, they never really show the engine that much because this is a working GM Ecotech prototype NOT a Jay Leno special edition. Similar to the Twinforce (now Ecoboost) 3.5 V6 monster Ford had in 2008-2009. GM should rename "Ecotec" to "Lenoboost" to gain 10 extra horsepower...
Yeah I was slow on posting.

The only good thing about the turbo v6 is fuel economy. But don't get me wrong I love the Leno car, drop a V8 in there and It would be on its way to a great track car.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #34
thePill
Account Suspended

Quote:
Yeah I was slow on posting.

The only good thing about the turbo v6 is fuel economy. But don't get me wrong I love the Leno car, drop a V8 in there and It would be on its way to a great track car.
SuperCarEnthusiast was right though, the Jay Leno Camaro was built for road racing.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #35
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Quote:
SuperCarEnthusiast was right though, the Jay Leno Camaro was built for road racing.
It was but I don't see GM doing it as a Z28, and I would like to see some more suspension upgrades
Old 05-12-2011, 12:25 AM   #36
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
I would think that replacing the wheels, exhaust and intake with lightweight components could shave about 70-80lbs. U lose those garbage cans out back as well as the heavy exhaust manifolds and replace them with LT headers muff delete and replace the very handsome but heavy as heeeell wheels with lightweight wheels, and u have a lighter machine. I know my CAI intake is much lighter than stock. Even if the beefed up suspension chips away at all of the weight savings and we have a car that is very close to an SS in weight then I still think we have a very formidable package.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:00 AM   #37
thePill
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
I would think that replacing the wheels, exhaust and intake with lightweight components could shave about 70-80lbs. U lose those garbage cans out back as well as the heavy exhaust manifolds and replace them with LT headers muff delete and replace the very handsome but heavy as heeeell wheels with lightweight wheels, and u have a lighter machine. I know my CAI intake is much lighter than stock. Even if the beefed up suspension chips away at all of the weight savings and we have a car that is very close to an SS in weight then I still think we have a very formidable package.
That’s the plan, being close to the SS in weight. In the base case scenario, not saying this would happen but, aftermarket exhaust (not street legal) can see a weight savings of about 60lbs. That’s with no cats, lightweight mufflers, long tubes and lighter pipe all the way back. Stock, street legal exhaust wouldn't lose that much but a good 30lbs would be believable. Wheels and tires are a good place to drop weight. Although its an expensive way to save weight (as is exhaust), 30lbs is another solid number that is very doable in the wheels and tires. 60lbs is a pretty good dent into the weight gained by upgrading the suspension. If the Z28 could fall between 3840-3880lbs, it would perform very well against other vehicles in its class.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #38
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Something tells me we will see the Z28 in earl July and not even know it, well accept for the fact we have seen it before.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #39
thePill
Account Suspended

Quote:
Something tells me we will see the Z28 in earl July and not even know it, well accept for the fact we have seen it before.
I think that a February 2013 release would be a better route. GM is releasing the ZL1 next February and surely will be releasing another limited edition Synergy Camaro in May 2012 that leaves a nice little gap come February. The main reason they want to release their performance models at the end of Winter (or mid-model year) is because it gives GM enough time to get the car into consumers hands right before the racing season starts. This is why Ford usually starts the new model year from January to April. It allows those who are racing to start the new season with a brand new car.

I am also expecting Camaro sales to be pretty burnt out by then so a new exciting model will be good to turn some attention towards the Camaro at that time. Don't forget the 2014 Mustang III spy photos and info will be popping up around that time so a Z28 announcement would pretty much be the only thing GM has left in their arsenal to fight back by then.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #40
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Quote:
I think that a February 2013 release would be a better route. GM is releasing the ZL1 next February and surely will be releasing another limited edition Synergy Camaro in May 2012 that leaves a nice little gap come February. The main reason they want to release their performance models at the end of Winter (or mid-model year) is because it gives GM enough time to get the car into consumers hands right before the racing season starts. This is why Ford usually starts the new model year from January to April. It allows those who are racing to start the new season with a brand new car.

I am also expecting Camaro sales to be pretty burnt out by then so a new exciting model will be good to turn some attention towards the Camaro at that time. Don't forget the 2014 Mustang III spy photos and info will be popping up around that time so a Z28 announcement would pretty much be the only thing GM has left in their arsenal to fight back by then.
It wont be announced, I just think we will see the body design in Transformers 3
Old 05-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #41
thePill
Account Suspended

Quote:
It wont be announced, I just think we will see the body design in Transformers 3
There is no way GM will let the Z28 come to market unannounced. This will be the pinnacle of the 5th Gen models, far surpasses the media attention of the ZL1. It will be the most talked about 5th Gen Camaro, it will be on every car magazines cover, there will be a prime time spot on Motorweek and Speed TV about the history and the making of the Z28. Then there will be the ultimate comparison between the Boss 302 and the Z28 in every single publication known to man... They will not let this car go unnoticed...
Old 05-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #42
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Wonder if it will have this spoiler.. I kind of like it
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote