Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #29
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Norris View Post
Nice thing about a manual is that you can "hot rod" around and get the sensation of speed with out really speeding vs a automatic which you usually have to mat the accelerator to the floor for a while to feel all of its 580hp.... but by then you are usually going fast enough to be arrested. Sure you can keep the auto in a lower gear but you still miss out on all the little nuances of going through the gears with little hints of WOT before, during and after shifts so you can hear all the popping and blurbing coming from the exhaust vs the consistent linear roar from the auto car. I'd get an auto if it was going to be a heavily modded daily driver that would see a lot of time at the drag races and a manual if it was going to be a fun weekend car with light mods and no track time.

Sure you can keep the auto in a lower gear but you still miss out on all the little nuances of going through the gears with little hints of WOT before, during and after shifts so you can hear all the popping and blurbing coming from the exhaust vs the consistent linear roar from the auto car.

You can do this with the auto either using the paddles (same as manual except no clutch) or using the sport mode it will downshift like a manual.

I hear mine popping all he time in the sport mode it even senses how you are driving and downshifts appropriately. This is the best automatic I have ever driven. The only thing I miss in the manual is pushing in the clutch. NOT!
Old 08-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #30
Turtle8001

Drives: 2013 ZL1 6spd blk 5 spokes
The cup holders are that bad with the manual? Damn. The vert wasn't bad but it was an auto. She loved the auto but never used the paddle shifters. She also got caught by a friend doing north of 3 digit land. That was a v 6. I was told this am to get the manual. Hope the one I want is still there Tuesday. Blk m6 silver rims. She said she is willing to learn the manual in my 71 3/4 ton gmc.
Turtle8001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #31
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Sure you can keep the auto in a lower gear but you still miss out on all the little nuances of going through the gears with little hints of WOT before, during and after shifts so you can hear all the popping and blurbing coming from the exhaust vs the consistent linear roar from the auto car.

You can do this with the auto either using the paddles (same as manual except no clutch) or using the sport mode it will downshift like a manual.

I hear mine popping all he time in the sport mode it even senses how you are driving and downshifts appropriately. This is the best automatic I have ever driven. The only thing I miss in the manual is pushing in the clutch. NOT!

This isn't like a Gen4 with a 3.8 auto trans, this thing is nothing but baddass. Also the harder you drive it, the harder it shifts. The programing is adaptive, and knows when you mean business.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #32
Turtle8001

Drives: 2013 ZL1 6spd blk 5 spokes
And the autos in my area are damn hard to find.
Turtle8001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #33
580/556 ZL1

Drives: 2013ZL1/A6/T.BLACK
automatic all the way just do some search on the 6L90E and you will be amaze and theres no issue on that tranny's yet and lots of ppl are beating them alot on the drag strip.more constant and quicker on the 60 and for those manual guys who talks about the feeling with there manual tranny well you should have been trying that 6L90E in sport mod with the paddleshift activated,i can bounce the rev on my A6 Z like any other manual tranny would do and i would say even better,quicker and louder!
(and for the manual tranny bud's don't try to tell me that you did try an auto SS and it was sh...it bc the SS have the 6L80E and that tranny is not heavy duty like 6L90E and its not a pre-stage double cluch and dosen't have the same algorithme)

Welcome to the new age!

Last edited by 580/556 ZL1; 08-31-2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: my grammer is pure shi...
580/556 ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #34
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle8001 View Post
The cup holders are that bad with the manual? Damn. The vert wasn't bad but it was an auto. She loved the auto but never used the paddle shifters. She also got caught by a friend doing north of 3 digit land. That was a v 6. I was told this am to get the manual. Hope the one I want is still there Tuesday. Blk m6 silver rims. She said she is willing to learn the manual in my 71 3/4 ton gmc.
They are absolutely a terrible design. Probably the worst I've even seen or driven in a manual car. They could have at least put a cup holder in the door panel.

OP - As others have mentioned; It's hard to beat the fun and exhilaration of a manual car; but the auto in this car is stout and nothing like the typical slush box autos. I would have gotten one; but I got a smoking deal on my car and no regrets. Can't go wrong either way.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #35
yellow69z28rs

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible Black
Send a message via AIM to yellow69z28rs
You really cant explain it with WORDS.
You have to put in sport mode, pull it all the way down, and get on it to fully understand how badass this auto is.
I would have bought the manual but when I went in for a test drive they didn't have one. Luckily I had a salesman who really new the car and he showed me how this thing is supposed to be used.
I NEVER TAKE MINE OUT OF "MANUAL/SPORT"

Rag Top Rob
yellow69z28rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #36
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Drives: 2011 VR M6
i will say this. if i was in the market for a SS or ZL1 i would consider getting a auto but because i have a v6 i need all the ponies i can get out of her so i went manual without thinking twice. as for the auto trans they wake up even more with a tune so you cant leave that part out. at the end of the day we all drive the same car. i for one would never make fun of another camaro thats auto; as long as you keep it from looking rice you're good in my book.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:43 PM   #37
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle8001 View Post
...yes, they are, and if you put anything in them they become an issue with your right arm making making contact with them if any drink or tall object is placed in them. I think Top Gear did a car model test, and part of that was a center console drink holder comparison between the ZL1 and GT 500 and they smashed the drink in the ZL1, which was a no brainer to begin with BTW!.....
Old 08-31-2013, 10:31 PM   #38
Snakedriver

Drives: ZL1
I like the Auto.
Snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:49 AM   #39
skyjack

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Love the M6. Its a true pleasure to drive. If its a toy as mine is, cup holders not really an issue. I just stop for 'coffee'. People love to talk about the car every where I stop. Part of the joy ride I guess. You could always buy your wife her own automatic toy
skyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:56 AM   #40
evilsrt8

Drives: 2013 victory red ZL1. 2011 CTS-V
The only reason why I got an AUTO is because I am in a city that has a crap load of traffic and I commute. Plus, manual is fun and all and so is the AUTO.... if you are in a city that has a lot of traffic and you will drive your car a lot in traffic, stay away from manual. If its your weekend car and you live in the suburbs, by all means, manual is the way to go.
evilsrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #41
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
manual is way more fun to drive. wont ever buy an auto until my left leg doesn't work anymore.
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #42
JWR046

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
manual is way more fun to drive. wont ever buy an auto until my left leg doesn't work anymore.
+1
JWR046 is offline   Reply With Quote